Carbon Fiber body parts

gabbett1

I'm here to do a little research to find out how many people would be interested in carbon fiber body parts for their corvette. Would you be interested in just a hood or possibly more. I noticed that there isn't anyone doing this yet for corvettes and I'm looking to see if there is a market for it.

So, I'd like to know:

-what components you would want (hood, door skins, body, etc)
-what year corvette
-any other information about the parts you feel necessary

Thanks

Seems like the C3 T-tops would be a good place to start. They're up high so it would also lower the CG. And I'm always taking them on and off so it would make that operation easier. Plus they would be easy to make.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Seems like the C3 T-tops would be a good place to start. They're up high so it would also lower the CG. And I'm always taking them on and off so it would make that operation easier. Plus they would be easy to make.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Yes this was suggested to me on another site and I agree that it would be a good place to start. Are there any differences in the T tops from 68-82? I'd think they would be relatively the same.

I think some of the mounting hardware changed in 78 but the tops themselves remained unchanged throughout the C3 run.

I think some of the mounting hardware changed in 78 but the tops themselves remained unchanged throughout the C3 run.
But everybody will want a different shape/length of hood.
IMHO What would be cool is to have a CF hood frame, strong enough a lightweight (1 or 2 layer) fiberglass hood skin would suffice.

everyone will want, no one will want to pay

Yup..... That stuff is not cheap.....

And unfortunately there's not a huge market for C3 CF parts..... Now if you sell CF parts for a Honda Civic that's a huge market, there are plenty of kids out there that want the cool stuff and get daddy to pay for their stuff.... :smash::smash:

I think they even sell CF hoods for Miatas, unless the one I saw was a CF "look" hood..... That car is so light to begin with and if I remember correctly the hood is aluminum... So it's more looks than weight reduction.....

I have to weigh my fiberglass L88 hood.... I know it is a lot lighter than the stock hood but I never put it on the scale..... I wonder how much lighter CF would be .... I mean, you can't make it paper thin..... Let's say about the same thickness , is it really that much lighter ?

everyone will want, no one will want to pay

Yup..... That stuff is not cheap.....

And unfortunately there's not a huge market for C3 CF parts..... Now if you sell CF parts for a Honda Civic that's a huge market, there are plenty of kids out there that want the cool stuff and get daddy to pay for their stuff.... :smash::smash:

I think they even sell CF hoods for Miatas, unless the one I saw was a CF "look" hood..... That car is so light to begin with and if I remember correctly the hood is aluminum... So it's more looks than weight reduction.....

I have to weigh my fiberglass L88 hood.... I know it is a lot lighter than the stock hood but I never put it on the scale..... I wonder how much lighter CF would be .... I mean, you can't make it paper thin..... Let's say about the same thickness , is it really that much lighter ?

Just to put some perspective on it, the hood for my Camaro in fiberglass weighed 25 lbs but my carbon fiber hood weighs 12 lbs AND it's stronger.

They won't be the same thickness. You don't need nearly as much material in CF to get the same or better result.

A cf rear bumper for the c7 with decent tail lights might be a good seller.

Found another fact about CF.

"Carbon fiber is half the weight of aluminum and 3x as strong"

Ok, so I purchase the equipment to make some carbon fiber parts. If there are any ideas that you guys want to see done for our cars, let me know. Be specific, factory application, custom, etc.

I suggest to give up on bumpers..... There could be a bit of weight savings but the fiberglass bumpers don't fit and all of those need some serious work to make them fit correctly.....
Now I think that carbon fiber is not as easy to work with and apply filler to than fiberglass is.....
Might as well take the challenge and make a CF hood for a C3.... That's a bolt on part that should be a little easier to fit ... Or maybe T-tops .....

I suggest to give up on bumpers..... There could be a bit of weight savings but the fiberglass bumpers don't fit and all of those need some serious work to make them fit correctly.....
Now I think that carbon fiber is not as easy to work with and apply filler to than fiberglass is.....
Might as well take the challenge and make a CF hood for a C3.... That's a bolt on part that should be a little easier to fit ... Or maybe T-tops .....

If you take a bumper that is already on a car (that has the proper fit) and make a mold of that, then your part should fit almost perfectly. For that car that is, I'm sure it's not going to be exact for every car.

Last edited:
Dashboard set up for modern gauges or a racepak lcd

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dashboard set up for modern gauges or a racepak lcd

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ok, I'll look into that. Also, as far as modern gauges go, have you guys seen the VHX series gauges from Dakota Digital? They make a set that fits in the stock location and have integrated indicators: turn signals, check engine light, cruise control engaged, brights and parking brake.

It includes a small screen where you can put other indications on it through expansion modules.

Some of which include:

Boost
Trans/oil temps
Compass
Air Ride Bag Pressure
Inside/Outside Temps
GPS speedo w/gps clock correction
Retained ACC power w/headlight and Dome controle
Gear shift
OBD-II / CAN
Wideband Air/Fuel
EGT, Head Temp

and probably more.

Sorry, I just found it not too long ago and thought I'd share!

Here is a quick sketch I did for an interior idea I had. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Slope-3.jpg
    Slope-3.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Slope-4.jpg
    Slope-4.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 20
Is just one ACC plug going to be enough? Maybe "option" a Flip Lid - like the old - Ash-Tray Lid to house 2 - 3 - 4 ACC plugs?

Cheers - Jim

Is just one ACC plug going to be enough? Maybe "option" a Flip Lid - like the old - Ash-Tray Lid to house 2 - 3 - 4 ACC plugs?

Cheers - Jim

Seriously, lol? Why would someone need that many ACC plugs in a 2 seat car?