Help with steering upgrade R&P or Jeep

496BBC

My next upgrade will be steering trying to decied on R&P or Jeep box. Newer vettes have R&P and have positive feel but a good number of members have installed the jeep box and have good things to say about them to. Whats your opinion on this subject?

I'll probly install the Dragvette rear kit at the same time also.

I really like the way Panic's car looks with the flares riveted on. Gona PM him and see if he would mind giving me the suppliers name.

Neal

Those are ACI flares. Mid America also sells them cheaper than straight from ACI (100$ less)

I"m a rack fan, and did my own in 01-02 winter, before anyone made kits....

and still happy as a clam, power assist, wide tires, the thing runs great, I love the 2.7 turns lock/lock on the response....rather than the stockish 4 turns....

I can't speak to a Jeep conversion except to say about ratios...and there I"M not sure....

Racks are much better feeling to me than recirc ball and that is after 1/2 century of driving....

now HAVING SAID ALL THAT....THE FIRST MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO IS TIRES......

everything else pales by comparo....

:thumbs::fishing:

Gene, I've read all your old posts on the install of your R&P and have been wanting to do this upgrade for a while. I've also read alot of posts on the Jeep box, without dout the R&P would be the easier install due to the BBC sidepipe headers, their just isn't any room on that side were the box is located. The Jeep box looks larger than the vette box to start with but I've not verified this. I worked in the fabrication field for 10 years so the install of either don't bother me.

Neal

Hope you didn't read ALL of the, literally, surely they got a tad bit repetitious

:D:chinese: If you do fab work, it's really easy if not for my welder buddy who is now in Pittsburgh, I would have never had anything done....

but the rack is easier....I suppose, on account of the commercial outfits constantly saying the 3 universal joints are necessary because of variations in the sharks during production....

a position I find totally bullshit, if the wheel/column mates with the box as it has to, you CAN do a two joint install on any shark....this is not a minivan or some other convoluted design....if it works for ME, it can work on any shark....

having said that, any problem with headers clearance is entirely another issue not particularly shark related, just typical design problems any hotrodder faces....or design engineer either....

5 lbs shit, 2 lbs bag....

:bonkers: