80-82 Steering Column Support in a 68?

klabz28

Hey guys,

I saw @vette427sbc on here swap in the lighter 80-82 steering column support into his 69 car. Being the 68 has a different column without the ignition key (ignition in the dash) has anyone tried this with a 68? I'd like to hear any feedback before I buy one and try to make it work while I have my interior all ripped apart.. It looks like the 68 column mounting flange and bolt pattern is different than 69+.

Thanks!

DVOKbgQl.jpg

NlqCQXFl.jpg

I did it in my 68. There are two brackets. The bracket (that bolt to the dash) is a bolt in. The plate that attaches to that and the steering column is made for a 1969-up column.

Didn't have to but the mount plate on the 68 column is to narrow to mount to the 69 plate. Also has 3 mount points instead of 2. I suppose you could make something that will work with the 68 column.

Here is a 69 column next to a 68

20200617-142439.jpg

Ah, that makes more sense. Yeah I might as well try to find a support and see if I can modify my column bracket to work. Thanks man!

I ended up finding a 82 column support and checking the fitment, you can see the lower bracket does not work because it is much more narrow and 3 mounting holes (68 is pictured on the right). Would need to custom fab a lower bracket to adapt to the 68 column, I figured it wasn't worth the 2.5lb difference.

zo4oTHNl.jpg

Tazqm7kl.jpg

ALLOlZ5l.jpg

That said, if anyone is looking for a late model column support bracket I have one I will sell :)

I ended up finding a 82 column support and checking the fitment, you can see the lower bracket does not work because it is much more narrow and 3 mounting holes (68 is pictured on the right). Would need to custom fab a lower bracket to adapt to the 68 column, I figured it wasn't worth the 2.5lb difference.

Thats pretty much what I was describing above:

Didn't have to but the mount plate on the 68 column is to narrow to mount to the 69 plate. Also has 3 mount points instead of 2. I suppose you could make something that will work with the 68 column.

Here is a 69 column next to a 68

20200617-142439.jpg