C3/4/5 frankenstein frame

When you are ready to cut the product after layed up and cured, I used a tile wet saw. [Harbor Freight - Naturally.]

The water helps keep the dust (bad for you and your lungs) way down. The wet swarf is still something to contend with however.

Looking forward to the results.

Nice work!

Cheers - Jim

Damn, I had to google swarf.

For as many decades as I've swept up that stuff, i'm embarrassed that I didn't know the official name for it. :amused:

Heres what Ive got so far for the rad exit...
Both sides will be flanged, to mount to the rad, and to meet up with the hood section. I didnt want the duct to go all the way to the hood so that I can do basic checkups on the belts, oil pump, power steering, etc without removing the duct every time. The hood will have the rest of the duct molded in so that it just lifts out of the way when you open the hood.

6155d799c3b86a4c.jpg
(mixed the bondo a little too hot!)
6155d799c3b95df3.jpg

And the passenger side gill...
This is a weird shape and Im having a hard time getting this to cleanly attach to the wheel tub. It will be worth it in the end... a view of a 335 tire in a carbon duct through the side gill! Off to buy some thicker foam board...

6155d799c3bb210b.jpg

6155d799c3ba5bbf.jpg

Very nice!! A question - do you have a surge tank? Looks like your radiator cap is well below the water level in the intake, so won't you need a higher fill point to purge the air?

Pappy

Very nice!! A question - do you have a surge tank? Looks like your radiator cap is well below the water level in the intake, so won't you need a higher fill point to purge the air?

Pappy

Currently, no... I havent gotten that far yet; but I was hoping to not have to run one. I use a vacuum filling system, so I was going to see how that works to fill it sans-air. I bought an inline radiator cap that I may put on the upper hose somewhere if I cant defy gravity with the vacuum fill.

ProLite column from Iditit showed up this weekend... it is exactly what I wanted. Steering wheel, firewall bearing support, quick release hub and the upper u-joint is 10lbs... 11.5 lighter! (I think my stock non tilt one was 21.5 lbs)
I have to send it back to have them "tweak" a few things, but overall I'm very happy with it.

6155d89760ae5d80.jpg

6155d89760ad9dd3.jpg

6155d89760acd575.jpg

6155d89760b0dfac.jpg

6155d89760af28c7.jpg

BBShark- Yes, its quite beefy too. Looks like a quality piece.

SBG- No, this is specific for a vette, I gave ididit the dimensions for a corvette so its a custom build. Im giving them feedback on dimensions and fitment so they can have the C3 as an option down the road.

BBShark- Yes, its quite beefy too. Looks like a quality piece.

SBG- No, this is specific for a vette, I gave ididit the dimensions for a corvette so its a custom build. Im giving them feedback on dimensions and fitment so they can have the C3 as an option down the road.

nice

A major milestone reached tonight! I'm finally rolling and steering! Still have to tweak the rear alignment and ride height but I'm super happy with how everything came out and fits. The front flares look like they will be perfect and a 2.5" rear flare should give me plenty of rear suspension travel. I'll get some more detailed pictures with a better camera tomorrow.
Wheels are Forgeline DS3R 18x13 and 19x13

6155d9e8a702dbf1.jpg

6155d9e8a7021aab.jpg

6155d9e8a7013a07.jpg

6155d9e8a7007503.jpg

Thank you all! I rolled it out of the shop today for the first time in almost 4 years. Definitely a cool feeling seeing a project like this come together :banghead:

6155d9faa572f5b5.jpg

I also put it on my scales today... One of the scales wasnt reading but assuming the FR and FL are pretty close, its already at 2600LBS :confused2:
I still need to add:
the rest of the cage (chromoly)
fuel tank 26lbs + 23 Gal of fuel
A full interior with small stereo
Bumpers & associated brackets
3 gallons of oil
coolant
lots of misc trim and accessories

I think Ive got to come up with some more weight loss ideas if I want to hit 3400lbs wet w/ driver

Last edited:
will VM host a video?
I fired up the power steering pump today... very pleased with everything so far! With the car sitting still, 8* of castor and 13" of tire, the pump seemed to pretty effortlessly turn the wheels while drawing 40A under load, and about 10A at rest. There's a bit over 1400lbs on the front axle. By comparison, it had a similar feel (steering wheel weight) to a Porsche Cayman I recently had in the shop. The pump is certainly not whisper quiet, but would be unnoticeable with an engine running.

Back to the carbon parts, Ive finally got a plan of action for the inner fenders. I picked up these cheap plastic trailer fenders that happen to work very well for the plan I have envisioned for the mold. Im having a very hard time putting any kind of paint, bondo or sealer on the foam (styrene). It distorts too easy under the smallest amount of heat from the curing reaction. Im hoping the plastic will be easier to work with in that sense, just harder to find the complex shapes I need.

6155dc3598bbd173.jpg

I only want it for the inside edge and radius. I will be extending the "well" out to the fender with some flexible plastic sheet, and then somehow forming the exit duct to that...
Brake duct "tubing" will be integral to keep the flexible hose to a minimum. Im torn between bonding this duct to the body to keep some of the structure in the nose, but I also think it would be far easier if I ever had to service anything to be able to remove this piece. Maybe make parts of it removable? Opinions?

6155dc3598bcea9c.jpg

6155dc3598baa40d.jpg