1984 z51 need help

davidd

i bought a 1984 corvette and in the vin # threre is an 51 and there is a E before the 51 does this mean the car is an z51

Found this on the web:

The Vehicle identification number, or VIN, decodes as follows for the C 4 Corvette.

1.........................Country of Origin 1=USA
G.......................Manufacturer G= General Motors
1.......................Division 1= Chevrolet
YY...................Carline and Series YY= Standard Corvette YZ=ZR1
3......................Body Type 3= Convertible 2=Hatchback
1......................Seat Belt Systems 1= Manual Belts
8......................Engine Code 8= L83 L98 P=LT1 5=LT4 J=LT5
9......................Check Digit
K....................Model Year SEE CHART BELOW
5.....................Factory Code 5= Bowling Green, Kentucky
The last five digits indicate the Plant sequential Build Numbers

Symbol E........................1984 Symbol L ............................1990

Symbol F.........................1985 Symbol M............................1991

Symbol G.........................1986 Symbol N............................1992

Symbol H.........................1987 Symbol O................Not Used

Symbol I..........................Not Used Symbol P 1993

Symbol J..........................1988 Symbol R.............................1994

Symbol K.........................1989 Symbol S...............................1995

Symbol L..........................1990 Symbol T.................................1996

The last five numbers are the car's position in the build sequence for the model year.

Look in the lid of the center console. The option codes should be listed there. I think the VetteMOD tech section has the option codes for a C4.

Or you could crawl under the rear of your 84 and look at that long spring that goes from one side to the other, it is a blackish gray color. On one end of the spring near the wheel end it will be stamped into the fiberglass spring "RHD" that means it is a heavy duty spring for a Z51 corvette. The stamped RHD is a little hard to see might want to use a flashlight but it is there. It is stamped on the underside of the spring. Most 84 vettes were a Z51. My opinion the best handling corvette with the best seats.

Or simply look for the additional braces under the engine, they run from the side to the center of the front crossmember. Only there on Z51 & Z52. It's so easy to spot, if you don't have those...no reason to look any further.