Plastic Fantastic 2

I'm watching this closely. I need to sort out the cooling on my big block too and the Mk VIII fans are getting harder to come by. The Impala fans look like they were made for it. Great idea!

I'm watching this closely. I need to sort out the cooling on my big block too and the Mk VIII fans are getting harder to come by. The Impala fans look like they were made for it. Great idea!

Each fan flows 1864 cfm at low speed and up to 2500 cfm at full song, it uses 14.5 or 20 amps depending on the speed. not just that but the GM fan is capable of being run at 24 volts. That's not all, they're a curved blade so they're quieter and if you get the plugs and relays - they're waterproof.

best of all? they're $88.00 for 2 fans and the shroud brand new. With that said, I'd try to find a wrecking yard version first since GM has far better quality.

mostly more efficient and it spins faster - it's like hooking 12v up to a 6v starter... in this case, it's designed for it so it doesn't let the smoke out

so are you going to supply 24v to them? to do that do you have a step up transformer that does that in the circuit or is the transformer an integral part of the fan?

guys put all sorts of bilge fans in the MG engine bays to keep the SUs cool

I should be further along, I'm not but at least the plumbing is fixed in my house.....edited

worked a bit on a bunch of things
fuel system
PC071401_zpsyqtpjejz.jpg
I don't know if it's a good idea or not.edited I hate the fuel smell of ss braided lines, so I'm using PTFE line.... which is great except the tank needs a vent.edited All I've found are either direct-open-to-atmosphere or are designed for 100 hp.edited So I've done it but I'm not convinced it's a good idea.editededited
In the roll-over valve I put a light spring to hold the ball against the vent.edited It can outgas under pressure from the cap, and draw through the vented (and filtered) roll over valve...edited

Got the tank out of the car
PC101402_zps8ms6gofz.jpg

and pulled the metal shield out
PC101403_zpszyouzil1.jpg

so I could access the inner fenders and start cutting the fenders off
PC101404_zps8iwbb3ic.jpg

which lead me to an admirable ADD-level distraction when I found that heat did a wonderful job of lifting the paint enough to scrape off
PC101405_zps3o8cvwvn.jpg

PC101406_zps4kwxj1ks.jpg

then started working on fuel line and came to the conclusion that full -8 PTFE line would be a better choice so I ordered that
PC101407_zpsigsyxozn.jpg

and the bend that caused the issues
PC101408_zpsgcfacebd.jpg

​​​​​​​

I really do like these.... it's a hydramat from Holley. I run one in my FJ40 as well...
PC111410_zps8kylxtp0.jpg

these things really do work slick for getting fuel to the pickup and letting you completely, and utterly run out of gas.... I'm pretty sure it even sucks up the fumes.
Here's why I say that - my gas gauge, well, fixing it is just too much work in my FJ40 (what with the removing of the seat and pulling the lid off... too much work), but I've found that it'll start sputtering a couple miles before it is completely and truly out of gas (bet you no longer wonder why I always carry spare fuel). The last time, 16 gallon tank, 16.1 gallons to fill and it drove to the gas station. These things are pretty sweet - plus, while expensive, buying a new fuel tank with a sump, building surge canisters or filling your tank with foam is not cheap either, this is simply drop into the bottom with magnets on the corner and it's done.... best of all, it's also a pre-filter so you save the $50-$120 cost of a pre-filter.

Good idea. Never heard of a Hydramat before. I'm doing this now (fuel system), thanks for the tip.

Still waiting on a couple fuel system parts, so I started fender removal and continued paint removal.... pictures
PC121416_zpsypaqbfhr.jpg

PC121415_zpssfnjikrk.jpg

so a brief tutorial
see all the gooey stuff? that's what glues the panels on
PC121414_zpsxn6sgf69.jpg

first step is to heat and chisel the sealer out between the upper and lower panel
PC121413_zpswjcua9jl.jpg

I got very lucky on the front because the fender started to detach as I was removing the seam
PC121411_zpsijd1nwxu.jpg

on the back, not so much, I'm not sure this fender will be reuseable when it's off.... fortunately, this fender had prior, poorly-fixed damage so it's loss isn't that big of deal
PC121415_zpssfnjikrk.jpg

I think I'm going to do a video of the other side, there's very few youtube videos that show the soup to nuts of taking these fenders off.... it's not that hard, but it is a bit fiddlyedited

and so it begins... though with that said, it's time to put my other compressor on, this one is worn out.

PB221354_zpslbqp0ky2.jpg

Are you planning to shorten the cust. img. spoiler a bit, or is just a quick mockup with some overlap?

My thoughts are is that it looks better shortened up a bit.

that's just a quick mock up. Custom Images suggests weaving the two together by using the bumper bump as the common point. That said, I seriously don't know, I've never done this before so it's mostly just trying to make it fit. It won't have a bumper on the back.

parts arrived
PC131417_zpsfaygdouq.jpg
PC131418_zpsmi96bxm9.jpg

now the line runs well from the regulator
PC131419_zpsiww9pvyr.jpg

they're easy to assemble - or at least easier then typical braided fuel line
PC131420_zpsxjfe0dfv.jpg

I am going to either buy another fitting or get creative back here because I don't think there's enough line to make a 90 into the pump....edited
​​​​​​​PC131421_zpskllnxrvv.jpg

time for flares

add heat
PC141422_zpsntvhct6p.jpg

and pop, off it comes
PC141423_zpst8syitle.jpg

and the new sitting in place
PC141424_zpserz9swjq.jpg
PC141425_zpsqspb7m5w.jpg

time for an executive decision on where to splice this together
PC141426_zpsbk9nplvs.jpg

chop chop
PC141427_zpsliclm6mo.jpg

The CIC flares don't wrap all the way under, nor does it maintain this edge - even if I fill it, I want the strength so here's what I did
PC141428_zpsmylfsmvi.jpg

and pop, off it comes
PC141429_zps2y54hnzf.jpg

PC141430_zpsq2fvebsk.jpg

rough cut
PC141431_zps9wod9myu.jpg

PC141432_zpsdv3drpsq.jpg

seems to be going the right direction
PC141433_zpsv1trxngw.jpg

I plan on filming a YouTube video of the second side when I do it, but here's the comparison to 'before'
PC141434_zpsix4v7oec.jpg

now you can really see how much extra flare there is
PC141435_zpsllurozuy.jpg
PC141436_zpsqshxbvsb.jpg
PC141437_zpsvmcrmznr.jpg

and the back, again
PC141438_zpsvb02fcxb.jpg
PC141439_zpsfhrrzwqn.jpg

a picture of how much of the back is bonded
PC141440_zpstby2nbjl.jpg

I think I want the flares bonded in place before I finish the fuel system, which isn't a huge deal because it's really not going to be driveable for a bit longer

so there will be a lot of fitting
this is round 2
PC171444_zpsbn4ggcvi.jpg
PC171450_zps4g1okeax.jpg
oh yeah, and scraping - I'm going to paint this black
PC171447_zpsuhvd9khf.jpg

also worked a bit on the tank
PC171445_zpsn9rywgg9.jpg
PC171446_zpsglbgqrx4.jpg
the assembly
PC171448_zpsuo0svcul.jpg

and assembled - and yes, there's an extra -6 line there so if I ever do decide to go EFI that I have the return already plumbed in
PC171449_zps7hbkihxz.jpg