Plastic Fantastic 2

Hope you plan on a block saver and blow proof bell housing. They make an extended pilot bushing now to accomadate the block saver.

oh yes, I like my feet.

Yep! I think someone posted what the fiberglass looks like after a flywheel lets go, haven't seen one in a while.

I think speedway sells the extended bushing. I used oem and was careful not to drive it in too deep. Edit:Speedway SBC/BBC Chevy V8 Extra-Long Bronze Pilot Bushing

Last edited:
so tonight I didn't have much time so it was time to dig in my stash of stuff and find a mini-starter, motor mounts, steel sfi flywheel, and oil pump stuff.... I also found some roller rockers that I forgot I had, though not for a BBC.
P9251089_zpsacikokum.jpg

I just couldn't leave that one in the block
P9261091_zpsow2jcbsr.jpg
pushrod checking length - as is normal, one of the checkers won't work because you can't get the jam nut past the guideplate
P9261092_zpsb4otxppl.jpg
which lead to another issue... there's an interference between the head and the piston
cute,no?
P9261093_zpskhvrkmlm.jpg
the repair
P9261097_zpsi9jf48m5.jpg
see the straight edge? it's designed for the older, closed port heads
P9261095_zpsqhd8cuhy.jpg
now it's all heart shaped.... and an interference.
P9261098_zpsguf0rvyo.jpg

yeah, precision work....
I'm still not sure I took enough off but until I get clay and check that along with the valve clearance, at least it doesn't hit on rotation. I'm going for .050 clearance

pretty, even with the missing tooth
P9261099_zpsvc2mycdf.jpg

the water pump is on because I can - not because I should
P9261100_zpsysi5x6gs.jpg

Looks like you are having fun. I prefer to do as much as possible, but motors and transmissions I've been leaving to experts.

One thing I forgot to mention, word of caution, on a Lakewood bellhousing. I used all new parts, ram clutch, adjustable pivot, et cetera, but needed to open up the opening 1/4 inch to get enough adjustment. It might be the body shifted with time. After pulling the trans and driveshaft a couple of times I got it right. A lot of extra work I might have avoided with some planning/measurements.

I enjoy doing it all.... though if I could afford it, I'd farm out the body work
first things first.... replace the plug
P9281101_zpstn2qsyw9.jpg

then measure for new pushrods
P9281102_zpsj3jnkxfy.jpg

verify that nothing is going to hit (and who says I'm not crafty?)
P9281103_zpslaofvd9i.jpg

P9281104_zpsk2y2dxdx.jpg

at least .0740 of clearance
P9281105_zpsiou00q5m.jpg

verified both sides
P9281108_zpsi9pkkiwo.jpg

stack it all together again
P9281109_zps1fpv6385.jpg

which brings the new problem.... I ordered the wrong head bolts, in case anyone is copying this - the heads are similar to a Profiler 18 or 24, so those are the head bolts to get. Ah well, it's all moving the right way

test fit time
PA011117_zpsbhul3uzu.jpg
with supervision
PA011118_zpsgy2gbfui.jpg
this was a bit spun up because a balloon went over....
PA011119_zpsdvpdufmp.jpg

hmmm, nice balance
PA011120_zpsdcfvgifq.jpg

let's try that again
PA011121_zps1fmqmkpc.jpg

take wheel off.... life is easier until I finally build a gantry
PA011122_zpsznfayj2k.jpg

almost like GM planned it this way
PA011123_zps6spdh67g.jpg

part one was how tall of valve cover would fit
PA011124_zpsdze8uaaq.jpg

this is why there is a big hit on the header tube from OBX - still looks like crap
PA011125_zps2vtoiwl8.jpg

miles of room
PA011126_zpsvunjkqnp.jpg

and the other thing I needed to know - how much scoop
PA011127_zpsx052sid4.jpg

certainly won't be doing a tall filter but it looks like just enough clearance for my L88 scoop
PA011128_zpsabfbi0va.jpg

so, other then the DD distraction, parts are coming together to move forward ..
first, and oh how I loved the howl last time I changed the rag joint for a solid borgeson joint.... these are the bits to remove the power steering and the rag joint
PA041139_zpsv6i3qj3v.jpg

and I got the pushrods
PA041140_zpsnotfaonx.jpg

now it's time to start pulling the stuff down for the rest of this build
PA041141_zps2hbkdob8.jpg

PA041142_zpskpxufl4z.jpg

I'm sure someone, somewhere needs this cowl hood and wants to trade me for their flat one - so I can put a different scoop in it. The guy who did this did a reasonable job installing the scoop so it seems kind of a shame to cut it one up
PA041143_zpsvno56d12.jpg

the only thing interesting about this picture (other then the sweet flare) is this...
PA051149_zpsbnukx6ur.jpg

I hit the paint with 80 grit sand paper and it didn't even scratch the surface, but that duct tape took off a layer of paint in 10 minutes.

Last edited:
I tried a bit on this one.... nope. I think I have to be smarter then the razor blade. I think I'm just going to use stripper... fortunately, by the time I put the flares on and the new hood I won't have much left to strip

i used stripper on the aluminum body panels on the MGA the hood, trunk lid and doors and it worked very well. i just used the aircraft stripper from the strip mall auto parts strore that supposedly has been watered down and is half the strength of the good ole days....any way it worked just fine

i have heard of people stripping the paint with a razor blade faster then being able to sand it.
I concur. Started getting the hang of it on parts I'd have to redo with filler anyway then moved to the rest. Went quick with the peace of mind of not putting anything corrosive on the body.
My personal trick was to work with the dullness the razor blades, I used fresh blades on very flat and simple surfaces, then when they get duller I kept them for working on more complex shapes. Too sharp blades promote nicks in curvy areas.

I may only go down to the original paint... it's the top coat that's the problem with repainting. We will see when I get there.
I was right, dammit, I was right. But before the details....

got the pins for the bellhousing
PA081157_zpslf0eqs4e.jpg
PA081158_zpsg0vmtphb.jpg
yes, extra long, not sure that's a good idea but it's what I've got
PA081159_zpspmmzgtwl.jpg

part of the day was cleaning the engine bay - which happened after the motor was removed
PA081160_zps0estj4gx.jpg

not terrible, but dirty
PA081161_zpsj0f6nuno.jpg
PA081162_zpszjpyuq5e.jpg
much better
PA081164_zpsp3qhtwk9.jpg
after it dries, paint...

pulled the pan off to do the mods I need to finish on it
PA081163_zpsjc4fhzzc.jpg

you'll note the engine doesn't have heads on it.... that's because the chinesium head bolts broke at 74 lbs....
PA081165_zpsojvjvhoj.jpg

I knew it. I knew I should have just bought ARP studs. They're $220 (that I would have had to buy twice because I would have bought the wrong ones first).... The chinese heads are profiler 24 heads that require a bit shorter outside bolts and 1" longer bolts across the top of the exhaust ports... ah well, I'm seriously just one crank away from having a complete 2nd BBC with all the spare parts.... did I mention that I was building another 427? this one is a gift for my dad and his 65 Chevelle SS (no telling).

started fixing the oil pan. I'm not sure I'm going to make it shallower however, I will fix the drain plug being an inch above the floor
PA101174_zpsvonqzgzr.jpg

yummy parts
PA111175_zpsmlc2a04l.jpg

and studs.... you know, I could occasionally bottle feed this
PA111176_zpsjkilla71.jpg

no torque, just snugged down
PA111177_zpsokewgikt.jpg

heads are torqued down... next problem, 3/8" pushrods don't fit in 3/8" guides... grumble
PA111177_zpsokewgikt.jpg
PA121183_zpsgjs6h0zr.jpg

hey look, lifters finally in
PA121182_zpsbacaahok.jpg

oil pan mostly installed... need to tap that hole
PA121181_zps3fx6luja.jpg

moved the oil plug
PA121178_zpsbiumwddh.jpg
PA121180_zpsvzxhxhxo.jpg
PA121179_zpsx0tuwvwm.jpg

started on the engine bay
PA121184_zpsmnflc09v.jpg