Michel's 72 coupe rebuild

Well Michel your post is a life saver. I have been racking my brains on how best to remove the birdcage on my 1970 Corvette Stingray and you have shown me the way. Much appreciated and nice job!

Mark

Thanks, it's not as hard as you could imagine.
It is an intimidating task because you break the car in 3 pieces, front, rear and the bird cage that hold everything together.
Firewall is stuck in the middle.
Just use a lot of heat (from a heat gun) and the factory adhesive will soften and will release.
Inch by inch, you will need patience LOL
Good luck and if any questions or need more pics just ask.

Hi Michel, how did you get the rear clip separated from the birdcage ? do you have any more pictures that explain this ?

I have drilled out multiple rivets along T-Top at rear and behind where the seats go. I have also tried to separate the quarter panel (bit by wheel well/arch that connects to Rocker cover and rear clip) but cannot seem to get the panels fully separated. The heat gun doesn't seem to be softening the bonding adhesive in theses areas I think that filler has been used or something else resembling rock!

Will try and post photos later if possible.
Cheers
Mark

Michel good to here from you , where have you been? hope everything is ok, bob

Hey Bob, I'm still around and I keep a close eye on your thread and am amazed about the work you do.
What an inspiration...

Lets say that life got in the way a bit, sold the truck and changed career, then got hurt, everything is back on track now.
And the Vette is still there, waiting patiently for me to get to work.LOL

I did work on the garage, fixed the blasting cabinet (damn thing gave me a hard time)
I work on the Vette less than I should but I'm getting there.

This week I blasted the whole wiper system and painted everything.
Mocked it up on the firewall.
I'm trying to install a wiper motor from a 4Runner instead of the original monster that was in place.(frigging thing is as big as a starter)
Thanks for asking.
Keep up the great work my friend, I'm watching LOL
What a great little car this will be

Michel whats going on???

lets see some pictures.....your metal working skills were my inspiration for a lot of my stuff.....lets see some updates, bob

Michel whats going on???

lets see some pictures.....your metal working skills were my inspiration for a lot of my stuff.....lets see some updates, bob

Wow 2 years, time fly when youre not paying attention LOL

I'm still around, life got in the way and I just put the project on backburner for a while.
I worked on the car once in a while.
I restarted it and now still unfinished but moving along well.