One day.... It will be a race car!

Not at all. Just my category. The group just over me, similar cars ( Camaro,Stangs and Aussies ) but quicker, have them. Most of the cars in my group are still licensed as road cars and some are driven to the events, with spare wheel in the passenger seat, tool box and rolling jack in the boot. I admire those guys, like in the old days ! I do prefer my trailer and my van, getting old I suppose?

I am into finishing the welding of gussets and other thing on the frame
thum_393458ad5f4b87773.jpg

And reinforcing the lift points. The front was so caved in that I was able to weld a 4mm steel plate flush, without the need to use a hammer to make a slight adjustment !!
thum_393458ad5f4d8b126.jpg

I made a pad on the side rails as well, that way I can use a floor jack to lift both wheels at the same time.
Rectified the mounting points of the front anti roll bar, as they were not square and level to each other.
thum_393458ad5f4c949d9.jpg

Nearly finished, and the rear is next.

I tried to get one like that - but the wheels locked up at the parking lot!
Kiwi's might say "Number 8 Wire." Ozzies say,? finders keepers?

Cheers - Jim

Yeah! Great aren't they ?? If I see one on the side of the road by itself, I will swoop on it !!:nuts:
The welding trolley's really handy, but cannot put two bottles of gas, for TIG and MIG on it, becoming too heavy to move around. By the way have you seen the one they have at the building supply shops ?? I just droll at the idea of having one.

Anyway, chassis ready to go to the sand blaster, with temperature up to 100 F in the shed I am happy to call it done.

Hi Bazza,

Yeah I should be full time on it for a while. Just back from the Phillip Island Historic Meeting, I had a good look at the Corvettes there, but quite concerned by their reliability , engine problems all the times, most of them terminal !! I hope that mine will hold on a bit better ! In group N the Camaros were much better for a similar engine package. But I don't know if I will ever race there. Too much carnage !!

Hi Bazza,

Yeah I should be full time on it for a while. Just back from the Phillip Island Historic Meeting, I had a good look at the Corvettes there, but quite concerned by their reliability , engine problems all the times, most of them terminal !! I hope that mine will hold on a bit better ! In group N the Camaros were much better for a similar engine package. But I don't know if I will ever race there. Too much carnage !!

$$$$ carnage, especially to my wallet for a stupid plastic 'trophy'......like getting a participation award as a kid......:hissyfit:

Not sure about the plastic trophy, but for sure panel beaters and painters are going to make a fortune after this week end !! As I always said, this is historic racing, bring your nice car and race hard but leave your ego at home.:friends:

YES!! Much safer, as some highly priced piece of machinery are on the track with you. So you really do not want to be the As...le who wrecked a 1930 something Talbot Lago Grand Prix !!!

I re assembled the front upper and lower arms with Torrington roller bearings, instead of solid bushings.

thum_393458e4bb9b25d79.jpgthum_393458e4bb9c2a6d4.jpgthum_393458e4bb9d1fb12.jpg

And working on rebuilding the steering box. This is apparently a brand new one that I have, but with large free play in the shaft bushes. So I will have some bushes machined to suit the shaft.

I re assembled the front upper and lower arms with Torrington roller bearings, instead of solid bushings.

thum_393458e4bb9b25d79.jpgthum_393458e4bb9c2a6d4.jpgthum_393458e4bb9d1fb12.jpg

And working on rebuilding the steering box. This is apparently a brand new one that I have, but with large free play in the shaft bushes. So I will have some bushes machined to suit the shaft.

Let us know how those bearings hold up. They almost look like linear bearings. I would have probably made brass bushings, if didn't want poly.

[QUOTE

And working on rebuilding the steering box. This is apparently a brand new one that I have, but with large free play in the shaft bushes. So I will have some bushes machined to suit the shaft.[/QUOTE]

Have you read Gary Ramadei's (GTR 1999) write up about rebuilding steering boxes? It's in the Tech/Rebuilding Tech section.

This is maybe a better view of the assembly.
thum_393458e6258408169.jpg
You can see the machined sockets in the arm. And the bearing who takes load in a linear AND radial way. A sleeve goes inside, shoulder against the radial bearing and abut on the black stepped shim. The red poly rings are there for dust, a touch of cushioning and mainly for appearances.
I have seen this set up on other race cars working well and reliable,especially when the ruling forbid rose joints.
It is like the original rubber/poly set up, but made for bearings.

JPhil, thanks for mentioning the tech section. This is where I find most of the information I need.:thumbs: And thanks to Gary for sharing his experience.

This is maybe a better view of the assembly.
thum_393458e6258408169.jpg
You can see the machined sockets in the arm. And the bearing who takes load in a linear AND radial way. A sleeve goes inside, shoulder against the radial bearing and abut on the black stepped shim. The red poly rings are there for dust, a touch of cushioning and mainly for appearances.

Looks good. Let us know how it holds up over time.

Started to reassemble the chassis, still knowing that I need to look inside the diff as I noticed that it has been rebuilt with the "snow flake" posi discs ! Not a good sign for the rest maybe !?

thum_393459112f9282d63.jpg

And I did the fire wall, trans tunnel and diff with alloy tape to keep a bit of heat away

thum_393459112f9388c9c.jpg

I finished the steering box in 45 minutes after waiting nearly 3 weeks for the dial torque wrench to arrive. I don't regret the money one second, as the readings from my wrist to compare with the wrench were completely different !! I needed way more preload than expected. Anyway following the instructions from Gary , the box feel right . I understand now when Gary say that you cannot do it on the car. So right.

And I fiddled with the linkages of the gearbox. Wasn't happy with previous ones I redid it using some CroMo tubing and rose end joints. Way more accurate now. But not easy to bend those tube !!

thum_3934591edd521ee4d.jpg