Plastic Fantastic 2

It's not 4 bolt block, we're back to LS... though maybe LS 427 :thumbs:

I have a very good friend that, after driving my last C3, is now building his version of a C3 (Regis on Corvette Forum) that's doing a SBC 427 - I can't convince him to go LS, so I think I'll do the next, best thing.... build my own - though with that said, I'm not sure I can get the cubic inches with a 6.0 block (and that would stop that thought process immediately).

He's more driver comfort but still race-car-oriented. My concept of driver comfort is "if I can survive, it's perfect" so my going to 11 isn't really a challenge, more just kind of what I do.

Guys put tool steel bars on the main bearing caps on two bolt mains and boost them. They claim they can get a lot of runs with no issues. I'll see if I can find a link. I seem to remember some fairly stout boost. My 390hp 427 was 2 bolt from the factory, pretty common.

It's not 4 bolt block, we're back to LS... though maybe LS 427 :thumbs:

I have a very good friend that, after driving my last C3, is now building his version of a C3 (Regis on Corvette Forum) that's doing a SBC 427 - I can't convince him to go LS, so I think I'll do the next, best thing.... build my own - though with that said, I'm not sure I can get the cubic inches with a 6.0 block (and that would stop that thought process immediately).

He's more driver comfort but still race-car-oriented. My concept of driver comfort is "if I can survive, it's perfect" so my going to 11 isn't really a challenge, more just kind of what I do.

You should be able to get aftermarket four-bolt main caps for that block and have a machine shop drill and tap the extra holes.

I agree it could be made to hold, but that starts a very slippery slope I don't think I want to ride again. I did all that to a 455 Buick motor.... for an astonishing $500 less then a TA performance aluminum block, I have a motor that will handle 1/2 the hp of a TA performance block.

my goal is open track days, not 1/4 mile anything - so lots of rpm for prolonged periods of time....

love the deux chevaux - when I lived in France my first, serious girlfriend had one that she eventually rolled... before that.... well that suspension is cushy for far more then transporting eggs across a field :1st:
The 2CV carries the legend of being impossible to roll, and that's the first time I hear someone managed to do it.... beside myself.
Not me actually, but I was in the passenger seat when it happened. One of the rare moment I thought I would die.
For the engine, a Turbo'ed L33 would be a nice cheap/fast/light/reliable combo.

That reminds me of a stoner/idiot that I worked with at a golf course in high school. We had a habit of jimmying the governors when we were using carts to run around the course on business, so it wouldn't take forever to get where we were going, but this numbskull managed to roll a golf cart. On a perfectly level stretch of ground. :banghead::hijack:

love the deux chevaux - when I lived in France my first, serious girlfriend had one that she eventually rolled... before that.... well that suspension is cushy for far more then transporting eggs across a field :1st:
The 2CV carries the legend of being impossible to roll, and that's the first time I hear someone managed to do it.... beside myself.
Not me actually, but I was in the passenger seat when it happened. One of the rare moment I thought I would die.
For the engine, a Turbo'ed L33 would be a nice cheap/fast/light/reliable combo.

She was very attractive (she was a runway model), the reason I got an 'A' in pre-calc, but made Dumbo look like a ballerina. Riding with her... I've done some pretty amazing things, used to work ski patrol, 4 wheel up stuff I can't climb without a rope, have been nearly 250 mph on salt, but she scared me more in her drives around town then I have ever since been scared. I think it was a family thing. Not long after her brother rolled a Capri (this was in Geneva - a cool capri) in the middle of a field while driving down a straight driveway...

I got flung off of a golf cart onto a rough concrete driveway by the same idiot's younger brother. When we would have tournaments, our usual procedure was to use one cart as a taxi to run everyone back to the cart garage to get more carts out. We had just received a new batch of carts from a different manufacturer than our old, reliable Yamahas - and the new front roof posts were set about six inches further forward than on the old carts. Idiot was swerving around with the governor cracked open, I started to slide on the seat, reached out to grab the post, and hit thin air. Ripped the skin off of both palms, both elbows, and both knees. My boss thought I'd been run over by a road grader.

If there is any justice in the universe, those morons are either dead or in jail by now.

I got flung off of a golf cart onto a rough concrete driveway by the same idiot's younger brother. When we would have tournaments, our usual procedure was to use one cart as a taxi to run everyone back to the cart garage to get more carts out. We had just received a new batch of carts from a different manufacturer than our old, reliable Yamahas - and the new front roof posts were set about six inches further forward than on the old carts. Idiot was swerving around with the governor cracked open, I started to slide on the seat, reached out to grab the post, and hit thin air. Ripped the skin off of both palms, both elbows, and both knees. My boss thought I'd been run over by a road grader.

If there is any justice in the universe, those morons are either dead or in jail by now.

more likely this -

I went to high school with a guy who, because alcohol was forbidden (think, very conservative christian school) got the brilliant idea to make wine from Kiwi fruit. His method was slice kiwi, put it in a jar on the window, let ferment for 3 weeks.... then drink. It literally ricocheted out of him, in - out. He designs Boeing jets now. There isn't a time when I'm on an airplane and don't wonder if I'm relying on his 'expertise' while hurdling through the air at 400+ mph.

So I haven't updated in awhile... built this
P6140733_zpsynzkclyx.jpg
it's an 85 Suburban turbo diesel, it's basically a camper with a rack, solar panels, propane, refrigerator, awning...
then I accidentally picked up this
P5210601_zps9p2d0ipw.jpg
that I'm putting a turbo 231 V6 Grand National motor in....

but I haven't forgot about the Corvette... and that is the update

I bought a 427 for it - it'll be knuckle dragging as my prior C3 only with 427 ci of solid-cammed, BBC power. It'll get flares and as much weight savings as I can stand - for sure no heater, aluminum heads/intake.... anyway, pictures of the new motor tomorrow.

I bought a 427 for it - it'll be knuckle dragging as my prior C3 only with 427 ci of solid-cammed, BBC power. It'll get flares and as much weight savings as I can stand - for sure no heater, aluminum heads/intake.... anyway, pictures of the new motor tomorrow.

You'll never regret that decision once you get it running good.

Get one of the auto gear m22's (or m23 now) to complete the unrefined old school vib.

Last edited:

You'll never regret that decision once you get it running good.

Get one of the auto gear m22's (or m23 now) to complete the unrefined old school vib.

I'm going to fix the Super T-10 that came with the car and drive nicely :quote:

Pictures of the new motor
4 bolt main 427/454 - it's a truck motor, however, there are some interesting things about it. I'm thinking it probably came from a motor home. Block is 30 over.
Crank is a forged, 396 crank that's 20 under. It's been balanced and the entire assembly lightened.
P7040824_zpsfbxl5p5j.jpg
clean
P7040825_zpsemwq50me.jpg
new seats, new valves, new springs... in iron heads. Too bad, really. I think these will get a half-hearted Craigslist then will occupy my shelf until a suitable truck motor needs built
P7040826_zpsizh7obtx.jpg
P7040823_zpspuzqohri.jpg

funny, I didn't take pictures of the pistons. 10.5:1 compression with reliefs cut for 1" lift. No ARP bolts, but I'll solve that before I put this together.

Looks like photobucket has shut off 3rd party hosting for you too.

EDIT: never mind, all of a sudden they showed up. Looks like mine are gone. I think they want $50 per year to host my images.

Last edited:
Someone spent some money on that engine at one time. Any back story?

The guy I bought it from kind of moved on from doing a 427. He planned to use it for the form of stock-car racing he did (though I've no idea whether or not there is or was a 7.0 liter class).... then life happened, and now he's hot rodding Harbor freight motors.... gets 14-17 hp out of a HF motor (which is really impressive) - and not so nutty as he also dabbles in other stuff (like making a neat hinge pin for Mopars)....

Got my OBX side pipes friday
P7070847%201_zpsttc5hgde.jpg

they look really nice
except for the dent - that apparently they put there for clearance .... if you squint just right at their pictures, you can see the bludgeoned part on fleabay.
P7070848%201_zpstps9ihi6.jpg

I'm not leaving it like that - it offends me on several levels, but they are 304 stainless, 16 ga, and have mufflers inside for $804 delivered... I couldn't build what I bought for the price (and they look well designed) and seem to have equal length tubes (which the Hookers do not have).

So the tl;dr is overall I like the pipes but am disappointed by the dent.... but not enough to ratchet up the complaint.

I was just over at a friends house yesterday and he is putting an old Triumph motorcycle together. The pipe had a really bad dent in it. He filled it with water and froze it. The dent is completely gone now.