1958 MGA Coupe

picked some low hanging fruit today, pulled radiator and gas tank

started cutting out the rust to see what was left

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

I took the ice pick to the trunk floor and to my amazement those pitted areas were still solid....i had figured that i would replace the entire floor with a sheet metal panel but since this car will be a "driver " quality job i am just fixing what has actually rusted through...ugly is ok for that area under the carpet.

I took the ice pick to the trunk floor and to my amazement those pitted areas were still solid....i had figured that i would replace the entire floor with a sheet metal panel but since this car will be a "driver " quality job i am just fixing what has actually rusted through...ugly is ok for that area under the carpet.

Better paint it some sort of polycantpronounceit paint that LOVES corroded metal....:bounce:

[Better paint it some sort of polycantpronounceit paint that LOVES corroded metal....:bounce:

i think before i make my patch panel i will aggressively take the cupped wire brush on a 4.5" grinder to it that will definitely show up any weak spots and clean the crap out of the rest.

[Better paint it some sort of polycantpronounceit paint that LOVES corroded metal....:bounce:

i think before i make my patch panel i will aggressively take the cupped wire brush on a 4.5" grinder to it that will definitely show up any weak spots and clean the crap out of the rest.

Shades of my welder buddies '68 Goat, he so lovingly restored to perfection, and still has it in his garage, the new cars set outside....but the Goat had every bit as much resto work done on it as you showing there,....

John still laments his late busted ass, it passed away during that job, :clobbered::nuts::banned:

well my son Joe and I worked on the boot floor replacement tonight for a couple of hours

we cut out the rest of the floor to give a nice unified look

IMG_2433.jpg

made a template out of carboard

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

cut it out and made template for bead roller

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

rolled the beads in the floor

IMG_2440.jpg

bent the sides

IMG_2441.jpg

and heres the mock up fit

IMG_2444.jpg

update: pulled the carbs off to clean them and put them to the side and found a broken intake manifold, cracked heat shield on what turns out to be an MGB set up soaked one carb last night and the other one is getting soaked tonight. overall they were pretty clean inside. i bet that cracked manifold created a big vacuum leak and made the car run pretty poorly. look closely at the frame and you can see how they wrapped the throttle return spring around it.

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG00712-20120606-2231.jpg

IMG00714-20120606-2231.jpg

IMG00715-20120606-2232.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

put a couple hours in after work today while everyone was at the pool...

cleaned up the other carb definitely needs throttle shafts and played around with making a piece for the rusted out areas of the rear window, used a sheet metal break and a shrinker and stretcher to make the part will final fit it tomorrow

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG

me and Ed we are old blokes sorting stuff out so its not dodgy.....

i made the brake start at post 90

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=60659&page=4

well nibbled away this afternoon i cut my pieces to size to be an insert fit.

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

used the best ground ever trick for the mig, i use this grounding strap for all my welding and plasma cutting the idea is that the many copper strands arew always in contact with the ground and the area you are welding better then just the clamp

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

heres a backing strip so the insert piece doesnt fall through

IMG_2510.jpg

and voila some mig welding and grinding and here it is, this will be the rough cut and when the sanding for body gets done the final sanding will be done

IMG_2512.jpg

the clamp is only holding the backing plate in place so the insert doesnt fall through

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

Can you find a intake here in the US ? Ebay ??? Hope you dont have to repair that one ....

they are a dime a dozen, one thing about the Brits is that their supply chain was so limited they used the same parts on everything that was made, so engine, mechanical,gauges and lights are common to a zillion vehicles...the body panels and especially the rear glass are the unique items. the rear glass that came with the car is worth more then what i paid for the car...seriously its really close. i said to my brother that my biggest profit margin would be to just to part it out and do nothing to restore it...

well my son and I tried a new technique today with my bead roller and a flange die to make this replacement panel..

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2535.jpg

wow what a fun day. everything went perfectly i will say i did a lot of prep work for this to make sure i understood the angles and how to make them. layed out the bend lines. i followed Barney Gaylords write up from MGAGuru for these parts

IMG_2575.jpg

made a to size template to keep every thing straight in my head

IMG_2578.jpg

made the next bend.

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

templates verified i was goin in the right direction and i pretty much followed Barneys write up paragraph for paragraph. i bent the flanges 8" at a time and measure them so i would have a nice straight and even bend. when you do this much bending on sheet metal it takes on a shape of its own and the flange bend straightens it out again.

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

made the graduations for the twist

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2586.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

layed out and cut out the inner panels

IMG_2594.jpg

the punch and die for the big flanges