My 63 vert rebuild project

The top is on and looks good

I sent the seats to the upholsterer for new foam and installing the new vinyl covers. The side metal I had rechromed and used all new pivot bolts and stops.

The outer and inner stainless steel windshield frame was repolished and the inner mirror stand rechromes, all came out like new.

Now am working on installing the dash.

Last edited:
Finally some progress on the 63,
Installing the radio and clock

I will detail the motor later

rechromed bumpers and grill are installed plus the 1964 exhaust valance bezels are in, this give room for bigger pipes later.

Hey Dean, spotting your thread here, and on that top install, did you do it or have it done?? and are you aware of any special tool used to install the rubber strip under the back bow, that rides on the lid???

I have to do my own install, and it came out poorly, but better than the POS that was on the '72, but my largest issue is that rear black gasket/weatherstrip in the back bow, I can't get it in the groove/slot worth a damn.....tried and cried.....:bomb::mad:

Hey Dean, spotting your thread here, and on that top install, did you do it or have it done?? and are you aware of any special tool used to install the rubber strip under the back bow, that rides on the lid???

I have to do my own install, and it came out poorly, but better than the POS that was on the '72, but my largest issue is that rear black gasket/weatherstrip in the back bow, I can't get it in the groove/slot worth a damn.....tried and cried.....:bomb::mad:

I had a shop install the top, I supplied all the parts including replacement tack strips and seals.It is 2 man job at times.

So after some time I finally was able to start the motor. It started right up and idled good, but when increasing the RPMs there was a rod knock, damn.

So I ordered a long block from Summit along with a new flywheel and clutch set. Also now that the trans is out I will rebuilt it also.'
The new long block will need a new front balancer, water pump and motor mounts.

I was hoping to not have to replace the 327 but to rebuild it it was already over bored so the new 350 was the only option.

Last edited:
From the start the hood never fit correct so when trying to get it to fit I found out why. It seems the car had been in an accident and the right front quarter had been filled with cardboard and loads of bondo. Plus the upper nose support was cracked so the bonding was non existing. So no other option but to strip everything out, rebuilding the mess. Had my body guy make a mold of the front fender and cut out the mess in order to make a new fiberglass piece to do the job right.

Had to make a mold for the front

Last edited:
with all the headlight buckets and motors out I will replace the bushings seals and stop location switches.

Last edited:
That was surely a surprise. It looked like the body was in nice shape/paint when you started.

With the mold the new replacement insert made from poli, now fitting in place.
After checking the fit and reinforcing the fender support hand laid fiberglass will be laid on the back side. Still lots of work to go.

funny thing is with the last two vettes i missed doing metal work.....now i miss doing fiberglass work,

This is what I am shooting for. Red on Red with original hub caps.:quote:

Attachments

• towner-1.jpg
    towner-1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 6