How to get oil out of bare fiberglass?

VegasJen

Formerly Known as Clutchdust
I think this summer I'm going to start working on getting the body cleaned up on the '81. Way back around 2009, I started stripping it for a repaint but I got carried away and went all the way down to bare fiberglass in a lot of places. In the ensuing 12 years, I've managed to get oil stains into the fiberglass. Obviously, that has to come out before I can have anything bond to the fiberglass. The problem is I don't know how to get the oil out. Any suggestions?

Sand it out and use fiberglass angel hair filler. You might try solvents, but if the paint bubbles in a few years you will wish you sanded it out.

Just my 2 cents.

If it was my flat black car, I'd try solvents and epoxy primer. But, it isn't a cosmetic concern on that car.

Acetone? Not sure if it is a suitable solvent for oil. Also, maybe it would drive it deeper into the fiberglass.

Just a thought - or two. Go-Gone is a pretty good oil "cleaner." It is basically an Orange-Oil (not juice) based cleaner. But it seems to work pretty well on oil. Maybe in combination with a vacuum? Like you were doing a layup - after wiping down with Go-Gone. You might be able to pull the oil out - once it is loosened from the "glass. Be sure and use a "trap" on your vacuum setup!

BTW, this is sort of how Reverse Osmosis was discovered (by "legend"-anyway). A boat hull was pretty waterlogged (sea water) and when they put a vacuum and bag on it to try and save it. They noticed the water that came out was potable - not saline. Now, this may be urban legend - but a technique that might be worth adapting to your situation.

Cheers - Jim

Also, Purple Power?