the problem, passenger side is low
bHf5nfKh.jpg
CAD assisted design
EmYuTWkh.jpg
now in metal
WXqZWyWh.jpg
I need to do the front side now.editededited
DYP0XWHh.jpg
Then onto the passenger side.edited I started here because the mount was pretty floppy with all the metal removed, now it isn't so I can move back to leveling the motor in the chassis (once I'm finished with the driver's side)

Last edited:
time to finish up the front
driver side
EgzvGaQh.jpg

passenger side
HBb8smmh.jpg
off a bit
xGUcg72h.jpg
8FdnTtTh.jpg
which meant a quick install and removal of the motor
​​​​​​​4TOC2aKh.jpg
chop and move up
ZBiuZHGh.jpg

then turn it around and get to work on the back
0R4I2Uth.jpg

You are probably going to inspire someone to make/market a C5 conversion front clip.

First, I guess it would be very inappropriate -- now the work is done and looking good - to suggest or ask - wouldn't using motor plates have been a whole lot easier? :bomb:
As long as the frame rails are straight - they would have bypassed the fix you've made. But, most likely better having done that - you're reasonably sure its all squared up!:clap:

You are probably going to inspire someone to make/market a C5 conversion front clip.
I've been pouring over similar discussions on the LS1, Pro-touring, Lateral-g forums - I bet there is such a market - buy the K-Member seems to be the make or break deal, and track width as 69427 wanted to keep his inside stock fender flares. A lot of variations to deal with, no doubt.

Some interesting communities and projects using C5/6 components - like 29fordhotrod who is using c4 bits - but similar adaptations likely possible for 5/6 and a simple crossmember for his K-Member/steering mount.
http://1929fordhotrod.com/johnsblog/wp-content/gallery/chassis-plans/frame0005-blog.jpg
Here is a link to his plans page - it might be 90% of a "Conversion" idea for C4 front to C3 - C5 just a slight "twist" maybe:
http://1929fordhotrod.com/johnsblog/198487-c4-corvette-chassis-plans-model-ford-hot-rod/

Cheers - Jim

if the frame is straight... the wheels are in the right spots but how the frame connects those points is a bit, well, avant garde. and I did seriously consider a motor plate, but (and this isn't something I've put out there) my plan is to run this in the Optima Challenge. C3s can compete against the older muscle cars - but there are limits to what you can do to the frame (no roll cage, for instance).... at this point, they haven't said you can't substitute in newer suspensions (not exactly, but running with it now) - so I expect this to be a one-year shot before they close the loophole since i imagine the next 'cowboy' will simply rebody a C7 with a C3 shell and that will be the end of that.... long explanation, but that's why I didn't do motor plates. They do allow bracing (think aftermarket frames) and I may do that.... which is kind of the basis of the question at the end of today's post.

as for kits, give or take the Detroit speed kit is a C5 front without the C5 geometry... what I expect is people clipping in these rear suspensions. I remember a discussion on here about how to improve the C3 suspension (it was talking Guldstrand stuff).... that, ultimately, is what would be the logical step of that discussion....

so we got a bit of snow today
Gw4c4xb.jpg
as is normal, everything shut down.edited I went to work, enjoyed the commute because it was pretty much just me
so I came home and did stuff
RumWutO.jpg
first box the rear attachment points in
GnLyldF.jpg
bNv4vA0.jpg
started boxing the bottom - my plan is to flip the frame over the weld the bottom
a4k7Apk.jpg
e7qNrvk.jpg

what I haven't decided is if I need to attach the kick-ups to the cross bar on the old frame....edited
yANVkWx.jpg
the frame could use some strengthening and perhaps now is the time to try some new things.... I dunno
aF37t8s.jpg

​​​​​​​

As always -- Great Work! I know you posted the snow depth to make me feel guilty about not working on my project! :stirpot:

Not to worry - it's mid-60s today and once I get some parts orders in...

BTW - Did you catch the word I posted regarding the C7 bearings? That's my big order. NOTE- GMParts Direct has a month long discount sale going on too! (but RockAuto is a bit cheaper).:trumpet:

Cheers - Jim

As always -- Great Work! I know you posted the snow depth to make me feel guilty about not working on my project! :stirpot:

Not to worry - it's mid-60s today and once I get some parts orders in...

BTW - Did you catch the word I posted regarding the C7 bearings? That's my big order. NOTE- GMParts Direct has a month long discount sale going on too! (but RockAuto is a bit cheaper).:trumpet:

Cheers - Jim

figures that I already ordered all the bits for the front... I need to look, though, about rear. thx!

first step tonight was figuring out what is wrong with this stupid thing.... it goes through consumables very quickly.edited blew the dust out... didn't make a difference.edited checked the torch (pulled it apart), nothing there seemed terribly amiss.... but now I'm out of consumables...

zxUFxGCh.jpg

then boxed this
KluDRYch.jpg
VYL8g6Fh.jpg
q2MwuZjh.jpg
next is flip the frame over... so I don't make a mess... drain the diff...
V8L9tCCh.jpg
looks good, only had 30k miles..
​​​​​​​ooGDwjXh.jpg

Any chance you can get a weight on the frame and the body separate? Just that they are apart now and would be useful. I'm going to post a "CG Guestimator" I put together in another thread.

Cheers - Jim

Any chance you can get a weight on the frame and the body separate? Just that they are apart now and would be useful. I'm going to post a "CG Guestimator" I put together in another thread.

Cheers - Jim

I'm not sure a frame weight would be accurate because I've front and back halfed it.... I'll see about the body - though that said, the brake system, interior and about half the dash is in place and there's a huge hole where the back used to be.....

Any numbers as long as we know the limits are helpful. BBShark - thanks for the Frame weight. My "guesstimate" was about 85# light (using the Camaro numbers).

Cheers - Jim

a bit further

FxG1Ek9h.jpg

and now flip the frame over
VtFEwOmh.jpg
tCzDLRJh.jpg
9f6St9Th.jpg

lots easier to weld this way
jwOWm0rh.jpg

​​​​​​​as for weight, didn't get to the body, but the frame has to be 500# as pictured

the snow is great, best of all, I get more time on thisedited
front end disassembled
1MI6Sflh.jpg
mental note, that makes the rear heavier....edited
so let's disassemble it as well
22vQfeMh.jpg
I did get more welding in on the frame rails
XGjeGDzh.jpg
what is that term - it's a 50/50 chance you did it wrong... wrong, I think it's more like 100%... in the case I have to cut the e-brake cable bracket to remove the rear assemblies
TdlHtgch.jpg
it's apart
sKSo8Tyh.jpg

and now, because of the snow, I'm wondering if I should just clean it well then paint it... I'll have to decide after tomorrow - there is a bunch more welding to do.... once that's done, it'll be time to get it clean so I can paint and start reassembly for real.... which is good, I'm running out of places to stash C3 parts.

thread protectors
6uHx10L.jpg

hey look, cheap disks explode - it's why I wear expensive, safety gear
VTQu29mh.jpg

welding up final holes
PvCf5GXh.jpg

Tomorrow, grinding then hoping the snow goes away enough to take the frame to be blasted.... if not, I'm sure I'll think of something

There was mention of the "kit" opportunity this build sort of indicates. Maybe a set of dimensioned drawings of each end, a bill of materials, and a tip-sheet would be useful. Maybe not everyone has the skills to do this job, but with the drawings they could hire someone who can.

Open Source? Sold as a plan set? There are several folks here on VM that could help with making a good set of drawings, Solidworks, Rhino, or even SketchUp that could be pdf'ed to a useful size.

Just early morning thoughts over coffee.

Cheers - Jim

most of it is already available with those C5 plans I posted earlier. The last of it would be locating the pins from the datum line.... I'll measure it again, then all of it is available if someone wants to do the work.

caution, there is some snark contained within this - it's not for this site, but for some reason (other forum) people think their opinion is quite something. My apologies, but you folks are great and it's not intended towards you

today started with deciding I'm not using this (still).... it's an aftermarket, bolt-in cross member but I think the stock, welded cross member is stronger
QkGh9xd.jpg
So I did what was naturally the next step, I cut out more of the frame (so the purists will cry, I guess)
just for the record, this isn't a discussion - this is what I'm doing, like it, hate it.... don't care.
SnXjKpL.jpg
yp8lnwm.jpg

as I cut it apart, nothing popped out of shape - which is good, considering how pretzelled this frame is
2GqbTeT.jpg

and just like that, 40# lighter
lYUqvv2.jpg
pGs2gPE.jpg

now to figure out how to put the upper shock mount back... no... how much floor I'm willing to cut out to put the shock in the right place

KkIwLNq.jpg
​​​​​​​isn't there anymore.

Thanks for the warning. :)

Personally, I always want to do as much as I can myself and learn. Some people can't understand that concept.

Anyways, it looks like you are making progress and will be out driving the wheels off soon.