Plastic Fantastic 2

truth be told, I can't wait to get back to my Buicks and Fiat.... but this first...
Boy - I don't know how a Fiat will compare -- This is going to be an awesome ride!

Cheers - Jim

some background. A 79 Fiat 124 with a Cadillac CTS, twin turbo motor, mustang 2 suspension.... you know, about as stock as anything else I build.... it got sidelined by waiting on a wiring harness - it needs to get into the rotation but it's now behind a few other things.

This is really coming together. I went wandering around looking at what the current state of C4/5/6 conversions are on the interweb. Yes, some of us have been on the DIY, but a few firms have popped up to graft these high performance parts on a variety of cars, TRI-5s, T-Buckets, Camaros, etc.

But what I did find for those that want to miss some of the Hydroboost Pain -
http://www.classicedgedesigns.com/misc-products.html scroll down a bit - you'll see.

They have a plate you can check out. A little late for the Plastic-Fantastic 2 mod, but might save some others grief - or might not.

Cheers - Jim

That's good stuff. The article states you need power steering in order to use this upgrade. What or how will you make the pressure lines?

I completed installing my RnP from Flaming River but I need to make a high pressure line to connect the GM type II power steering pump to the RnP... I will assume they need to also go to the booster?

some parts came in... just one bender shy of being able to do this
1RtvSV3h.jpg
ANAjU2ah.jpg
and I think I'm one connector short (didn't order, oops)
t57tbvOh.jpg
​​​​​​​

Plumbing
JrVWie8h.jpg
RryfvhTh.jpg
I got stopped on the brakes because the distribution block is not safe to use... no worries, they're cheap.
Fuel line
aCTVgPwh.jpg
MC7Ay06h.jpg

battery is going there
​​​​​​​UGEa5Tzh.jpg

best tool ever
6fOjCnGh.jpg
more brake lines
4Ts1kqth.jpg
POvEAX0h.jpg
edited
back together to test fit... glad I did
TSvPf4Wh.jpg
I'm not sure I can get the filter out once the body is on.....edited

I'm also waiting for more parts, so I'll push this out for a couple weeks and work on other stuff
​​​​​​​

I'm interested in more details here. I like the looks of the stock aluminum link, but (way back when) I couldn't figure out a decent way to get the correct length and u-joint to fit to the column.

Thanks.

this falls under the "use what you have" moniker. I splined the 2004 C5 lower, aluminum shaft to fit the borgeson 'conversion' joint for a C3.... didn't even have to cut it, just splined the end.

I accomplished something
d55LP6ph.jpg

​​​​​​​no, that's just a picture.... what I accomplished was I only threw my tools across the shop once bending them.....edited

so most of the day was spent on stuff like painting deck rails and mowing my dirt bike track.... however, things were accomplished
soft lines for the efi
mPvwDuRh.jpg
BTBr6peh.jpg

4BK855bh.jpg

I really need to set this back on the frame and actually bolt it down... so some pads needed anti-rust protection
CPm8n2Sh.jpg
4dv7uiJh.jpg

also opened up the steering shaft area
htb58teh.jpg
and a touch of black to keep the rust worm away
v2CZ2P6h.jpg
​​​​​​​

I'm interested in more details here. I like the looks of the stock aluminum link, but (way back when) I couldn't figure out a decent way to get the correct length and u-joint to fit to the column.

Thanks.

this falls under the "use what you have" moniker. I splined the 2004 C5 lower, aluminum shaft to fit the borgeson 'conversion' joint for a C3.... didn't even have to cut it, just splined the end.

Help the less talented here. What tools are involved in splining that shaft?

Use a DD joint, no splines, just flat sides.

Last edited:

Thanks.

Help the less talented here. What tools are involved in splining that shaft?

Just the basic hand tools - a lathe, a mill, a divider and a fly cutter... you know, what you'd find in the most basic of a DIY's shop :cool:

and yeah, I know, I'm showing off by mentioning the lathe, you could turn the shaft down on the mill as well

Been working on my front suspension and will bring my build thread up to speed in a few. Just enough update here to ask a question.

I'm stuck on my front brakes. I've been all over the interweb trying to find the combination I'm looking for. But the interface challenge is putting the package into 15 inch wheels--on C7 front uprights! Now, I've done the CAD and found it is possible. I even lowered the chassis to the floor off the stands -- the car is SLAMMED.

Given they "should" fit, I've taken the plunge on new wheels and tires - should be shod later this week.

So, now I'm wanting to help a forum buddy out here. And I've been all over the forum(s) chasing brake/wheel combos. Now I'm just wondering what these:

...nice, new brakes that will never be used

Way back in post #309 on 4-16-18 are doing? What are/were they? Still have them? Want to unload them if haven't already? I know you were looking at Camaro brakes for a bit, and I haven't been down that rabbit hole--yet. But there are a lot of C5 Brakes to Camaro adapter threads to get lost in (sort of my reverse.)

PM as you have time. Include price, etc - shipping to 32547 if interested/available.

Cheers, Jim

Been working on my front suspension and will bring my build thread up to speed in a few. Just enough update here to ask a question.

I'm stuck on my front brakes. I've been all over the interweb trying to find the combination I'm looking for. But the interface challenge is putting the package into 15 inch wheels--on C7 front uprights! Now, I've done the CAD and found it is possible. I even lowered the chassis to the floor off the stands -- the car is SLAMMED.

Given they "should" fit, I've taken the plunge on new wheels and tires - should be shod later this week.

So, now I'm wanting to help a forum buddy out here. And I've been all over the forum(s) chasing brake/wheel combos. Now I'm just wondering what these:

...nice, new brakes that will never be used

Way back in post #309 on 4-16-18 are doing? What are/were they? Still have them? Want to unload them if haven't already? I know you were looking at Camaro brakes for a bit, and I haven't been down that rabbit hole--yet. But there are a lot of C5 Brakes to Camaro adapter threads to get lost in (sort of my reverse.)

PM as you have time. Include price, etc - shipping to 32547 if interested/available.

Cheers, Jim

they were stock brakes and sold awhile ago.

I can tell you that the 2010 SS Camaro brakes would never fit under anything less then an 18 - and really that means a carefully selected 19" * wheel.... okay with all that said, C5/C6 brakes can fit under 18s any smaller would be just conjecture.... except

what else do I know? umm, the C5/C6 spindles are adapted to a bunch of other cars - which brings up some pretty good choices in the aftermarket. Hot Rod Garage wanted 15" wheels on Project X (57 Chevy that was Car Craft's). They achieved it on Hot Rod Garage by using a Wilwood drag race package for the C5. The problem - my opinion - is that is a non-vented rotor, so on a street car that could be a huge issue...

*there are anti-rattle weights on the SS calipers aren't needed on a car with a solid roller cam and sidepipes.... remove the weights and 18s 'just' clear... that said, a cheap wheel probably won't because they use more aluminum in the cast.

** the other issue - the biggest problem fitting large calipers is the rear, not the front. The rear has the e-brake in it, so that moves the caliper further out from the center... thus the need for the larger tire .....

Last edited:
Thanks Heaps!:thumbs:

I was pretty sure you'd have those insights and thanks for sharing them. Mike (69427) has packaged some good brakes under the 15" wheels so listening there too.

Thanks again. When I get something solved - I'll be updating the BNuild Thread.

Cheers - Jim