Dual spal fans

kwplot34

Heart Attack
I have to run 2 hot wires to the bat or within 12" of the bat,i know this has been hashed out before but did you guys hook up directly to the bat or somewhere else :shocking: they gave me a mile of wire so i suppose i could run the wires under the car along the frame and put the relays under there somewhere or is there a better way :idea:

I wish wiring was as easy as installing the new Dewitt alum rad,that took a whole hour to take the old one out and install the new one :yahoo:

IF you have a solid stae controller, the battery is a good source, as it is almost pure DC there. IF you are using the relay kit, just run to the alternator output terminal with a large hole ring terminal.
I suggest feeding the relay control circuit from a keyed on hot.
Fans running engine off is pointless. It can also be a hazard if the fans operate without warning.
Hope this helps.

Yeah that will work,i do have to find a keyed hot source but that's not a big deal. thanks for the input i will just run those 2 hot wires right to the alt and do away with about 8' of wire also :beer:

:yahoo: it works,but if it was not for Todd comming over to help with the wiring (btw i hate wiring)i would still be in the garage :banghead: because once it was all done we grounded the sensor to make sure the fans would work and they did,so we started the car,the fans are supposed to come on at 195 shut off at 175 well around 205 nothing :confused: So Todd put a ground to the switch to make it come on and it did the motor cooled down but the fans would not come back on,Todd asked me if i grounded my rad,i said no,well dummy your switch won't work unless the rad is grounded :shocking:
ran a ground to the rad and Woollaaa it worked,the instructions said nothing about this :bs:
But all is well now.

UAAAH....the RAD itself sits on rubber supports, total electrical isolation from the car...probably on pourpoise to keep corrosion down....

I ground everything to that front cross support holding the A arms on....

fresh metal, screw with star washer, tighern hell, then RTV over top for security against corrosion....

:yahoo:

UAAAH....the RAD itself sits on rubber supports, total electrical isolation from the car...probably on pourpoise to keep corrosion down....

I ground everything to that front cross support holding the A arms on....

fresh metal, screw with star washer, tighern hell, then RTV over top for security against corrosion....

:yahoo:

Yes, but Gene, you rust just standing there.:smash:

Took the car out for a drive about 20 miles or so and the motor never reached 195* so the whole time while i was driving the fans never came on,not untill i got back home and was waiting for the garage door to open,then the motor finally reached 195* to turn on the fans :thumbs:
I'm sure come summer time they will come on while driving,but it made the drive much more pleasent that damm steel fan with no clutch made alot of dang noise,i can here my radio now with the windows up and the t-tops on :cool:

Back is doing pretty darn good,the hard part of driving the vette right now is getting in and out keep hitting my head because i can't bend enough :push:
if it was warm enough to take the t-tops off it would be much easier and save some cussing :D but i had to drive it,couldn't wait any longer.

Is it hooked up single or two stage?
I recommend anyone with A/C to hook up 1 fan to cycle with the A/C compressor.

Is it hooked up single or two stage?
I recommend anyone with A/C to hook up 1 fan to cycle with the A/C compressor.

They both come on at the same time. All my a/c stuff is laying on a shelf,maybe someday i will put it back but i doubt it,when and if i put the original motor back in i will install the a/c again,but that will only happen when i get tired of my hot rod motor :huh:

They both come on at the same time. All my a/c stuff is laying on a shelf,maybe someday i will put it back but i doubt it,when and if i put the original motor back in i will install the a/c again,but that will only happen when i get tired of my hot rod motor :huh:

YES, I feel that one glance at the Dual Spals that Tom DeWitt sells will tell the tale that running one at a time is not adviseable....as they both need suck at some speed to prevent backflow throug the other 'still' fan....

now to do a proper PWM design we can hook where it belongs...

guess I"m elected....but ask me if I give a damn.....

:3rd::mime:

YES, I feel that one glance at the Dual Spals that Tom DeWitt sells will tell the tale that running one at a time is not adviseable....as they both need suck at some speed to prevent backflow throug the other 'still' fan....

Gene, do you give a DAMM :cussing:

Gene, do you give a DAMM :cussing:

Jeebus, actually I wonder if there is any interest....really....

I gotta look at the options....even IF I have any design books for chips, from some 25 years ago, as IF any are made today.....fat chance....:banghead::gurney::search::shocking:

Gene,
I am not sure how the older fans are set up, but the ones like Kevin and I bought have a divider between the two fans. I don't think there would be any ill effects from running one at a time. The fans would still be forced to pull through the radiator.

Gene,
I am not sure how the older fans are set up, but the ones like Kevin and I bought have a divider between the two fans. I don't think there would be any ill effects from running one at a time. The fans would still be forced to pull through the radiator.

Well, yes and no....depends on how they are mounted....

I suspect from what pix I have seen that Tom Dewitt has them pretty well slammed up against the radiator...so to cover most of the core....all fine, but I had a insurance issue years ago with a busted rad on account of I had a fan tied onto the rad for support, and sure enough it busted hell outta that rad when the lady hit me....oh well....

BUT I learned to not count on any support from the rad it floats alone in my fan install.....so to put the fan in there with cross support from the rear tabs of the U clips holding the rad in place....to I went across and supported the fans that way, and put in roof flashing aluminum and a cheeep left over front door rubber sweep from a house project...across the top....so it seals 100% to the rad core without being actually attached to it....the fans pull 100% of the airflow throug the rad, through the WHOLE CORE as a unit...not just one area....SO BUT...being mounted some 2-3" behind the core itself, both fans need come on to eliminate back draft.....

It works great, but I do wonder about a 2 speed controller, maybe some day....Lord knows when they turn on now, I gotta check the weather, the howl is remnicient of a hurry caine....

:evil::shocking:

I don't think there will be a problem having just one fan running it's not going to pull air through the fan not running its sealed up pretty tight,and with the instructions that came with this setup it tells you how to wire to override and turn on one fan,no big deal,i might do it myself but i will wait till it gets good and hot first to see if i even need to do that right now it cools without any problems :1st:

I am with you on mounting the fan back a bit. I did the same thing with the weather stripping, but I also put a piece between the two fans to seal the individual fans off incase one of them dies, I still have one fan working. I don't think it really matters how you run them as long as you don't do something stupid like try to make them pushers or something.:thumbs: