C3/4/5 frankenstein frame

Looks good, the C4 rear swap is probably the most cost effective rear upgrade for a C3. How much did you remove from the 1/2 shafts?

Thanks!
The shafts are 16.5" center to center. I think the stock ones are 18.xx?

Finally some progress worth posting pictures of! But with Photobucket gone, what's the easiest way to post pictures that are on my phone? Posting from my phone is a bit cumbersome

Attachments

• IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    496.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    383.1 KB · Views: 30
I have a few more pics but they are too large to upload?
Anyway, heres the new plan of action...
Finish the rear suspension, rear frame rails will be clearanced for wider (much, much wider :smash: ) by removing the double walled section near the trailing arm pocket and narrowing it slightly. A new rear crossmember (where the diff pinion mount is) will be fabricated to be able to mount a sway bar to and to get rid of the bottomside bump out. The trans crossmember will still retain the box structure for rigidity but will be flushed to the bottom of the side rails. with both of those crossmembers modified, a *mostly* smooth underside (besides the trans case and oil pan) can be achieved.

The front of the frame will be cut off (C5 arms/spindles for sale!) with a front clip design from Ron Sutton Race Technology. Should allow for a 335/30/18 up front with 25-30* of turning under stock fenders. The clip is scheduled for delivery soon; pics to follow!

Vettemod will host your images, if you shrink them under the limit. But, the dropdown only works for me on the iPhone, so it is kind of a hassle.

I like your jig, just perfect for a full tube frame.

Thanks guys! feels good to be seeing progress... The chassis work seen in the pics is actually being done by a friend of mine. He is doing the major metal work and Im going to do final detail/assembly. The roll cage will be reworked with some low profile door bars and four more forward pickup points. Ive also got plans to incorporate a rear motor plate of sorts to aid in torsional resistance.
:smash:

Attachments

• IMG_1513.JPG
    IMG_1513.JPG
    451.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    488.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1516.JPG
    IMG_1516.JPG
    332.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1519.JPG
    IMG_1519.JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1521.JPG
    IMG_1521.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 67
I got nervous that VM wasnt coming back! Anyway... Heres some updates
Front suspension is mocked up and the frame section is welded in. The motor mounts have been clearanced for the front steer rack hand hopefully the use of only 2 u-joints.

Seems like some of my pics arent uploading from my phone... The frame is scheduled for delivery back to my shop this weekend where Ill be able to get some more pics to upload.
The pinion mount on the diff is adjustable for +/- 1.5* :3rd:

I wish I could take credit for the chassis fab! Thank you though Im super happy with everything
Frame was delivered back to my shop saturday afternoon... I spent a few hours just looking at it today. (for some reason my pictures are all grainy, Ill have to look into why) The first picture shows the bit of extra clearance gained with the straight frame rails. That is my old 285 tire that sat just inside the stock fender. It used to rub the frame under compression.

The rear swaybar is potentially temporary, I think its going to be a bit big but I just wanted to have the mounts and links made so when/if I need to change it I wont have to fabricate or modify anything once the frame is painted

The front clip step-down was removed because I didnt think it would fit the rocker channel firewall or my sidepipes. I think the merge plates came out great, and my sidepipes still fit!

My ABS pump is on its way so brake and fuel line pluming will begin shortly :D

Attachments

• IMG_1534.JPG
    IMG_1534.JPG
    884.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    747.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    967.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    756.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    959.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Your picture of the rear tire/frame rail looks like mine. I also have a 285 tire. Don't have the body on yet so not sure if I will have problems with clearance (tire to fender). My outside of tire to outside of tire width is 68 1/8". I measured the rear fender to fender max at 68 5/8". So, I'm only inside the fenders by 1/4".

I measured a stock 71 with 225's and got an overall tire to tire width of 69 1/4" so I think I'm good. I hope I'm good. Too late to change now!