Mini starter - why did I wait so long!?

Kid Vette

Master-Baiter
I finally swapped in a ministarter. Something I should have done a long time ago. I had actually retarded the timing because it cranked so slow after the engine warmed up. Can't believe that little booger can spin it over so fast!

534f3f3e7256ca4.jpg

534f3f3e735ae8d.jpg

534f3f3e7447dbe.jpg

Is it the one for a mid-nineties Chevy truck? And if so, did you get the correct bolts for it?

Yeah, it makes the original seem like something from the Flintstones, doesn't it....

This is the one I bought. NEW CHEVY SB/BB HIGH-TORQUE MINI RACING STARTER 153T ( Includes 2 Bolts)

But it didn't come with 2 bolts so I ended up using my stock bolts with about 3 washers on each one because they are about a 1/4" too long. I noticed they are a little sloppy in the starter holes so they probably don't locate as good as the metric bolts. Do they make bolts to adapt the metric starters to Gen I blocks?

When I used the original bolts, I too stacked washers and also wrapped shim stock around the shanks.

But GM does make bolts specifically for this application--Part # 12338064

I didn't get a "hi torque" starter, just a parts store stock replacement one. The first one did fail on me after a few months, but I got a new one free under warranty and have had no problem with it for several years now. Once in a while when it's hot I wonder for a moment if it will turn it over--but so far, it always has. Sounds like a Chrysler starter compared to the GM Flintstone one, but anymore I don't notice that.

Last edited:
When I used the original bolts, I too stacked washers and also wrapped shim stock around the shanks.

But GM does make bolts specifically for this application--Part # 12338064

I didn't get a "hi torque" starter, just a parts store stock replacement one. The first one did fail on me after a few months, but I got a new one free under warranty and have had no problem with it for several years now. Once in a while when it's hot I wonder for a moment if it will turn it over--but so far, it always has. Sounds like a Chrysler starter compared to the GM Flintstone one, but anymore I don't notice that.

Thanks JPhil, this starter takes the long and the short bolt (153 tooth flywheel). I think the number you gave me is just for the other starter (168 tooth flywheel). Maybe I will weld up the shanks and grind to fit the starter. It sounds like it is engaging pretty good though.

Last edited:
Hope you have more luck with the starter than I did. I think these are chinese? In either case, they have a plastic sun gear and they do not like to start a high compression engine with some healthy advance:

24f4040b425b8e.jpg

24f4040b4a6605.jpg

Why not go with a gear reduction starter instead?

Why, when this spins it for $47?

will it spin it when it is super hot? You can buy a used 88-91 vette gear reduction starter for 50.00

A hot engine turns over easier than a cold one.:confused2:

I meant a heat soaked starter, there is a pretty good reason why chevy guys like these starters verses there originals.

1989starter.jpg

I bought a $180 starter back in 2005 or so, after very little use I realized it won't fit the later block and flywheel on my 383.... :mad:
then I bought a cheap mini starter from Whiteperformance and that $80 starter works great since 2007 - I use a heat shield blanket to keep it somewhat cool.
That reminds me, I have to see where that other starter is and put it up for sale...

I bought a Tilton style high torque mini starter when I had my engine built. I have had experience with heat soaked starters in the past and wanted to avoid going there again. The mini starter has worked great.

Why not go with a gear reduction starter instead?

will it spin it when it is super hot? You can buy a used 88-91 vette gear reduction starter for 50.00

I meant a heat soaked starter, there is a pretty good reason why chevy guys like these starters verses there originals.

1989starter.jpg

LT1 starter, good choice

1989starter.jpg

LT1 starter, good choice

Actually it is a 88-91 L-98 starter

that starter looks like a knockoff of this one....I had the nose changed to use on my vintage racer with a 153t flexplate but never did. $100 owns mine (genuine GM and only started my racer two times, I switched to a reverse drive starter and 5.5" clutch)

IMG_1857.jpg
IMG_1856.jpg

I bought a $180 starter back in 2005 or so, after very little use I realized it won't fit the later block and flywheel on my 383.... :mad:
then I bought a cheap mini starter from Whiteperformance and that $80 starter works great since 2007 - I use a heat shield blanket to keep it somewhat cool.
That reminds me, I have to see where that other starter is and put it up for sale...

Will that starter fit a early SBC?? if so it would be a decent upgrade to the camper, that hates to crank over in summer heat when engine is hot...:smash: