Issues with Holley Big Port Regulators

496BBC

Anyone else having issues with Holley regulators?

I've had two doing the same thing,

they chatter and will not maintain pressure, they chatter so bad it will shake the needle off the gauge.

I replaced the Holley with an Areomotive 13201 and it is solid as a rock.

I was using the Holley big port regulators,

Neal

Same thing !!!
Bad regulators..... tens of broken pumps..... many problems....

But everything went fine when I bought Aeromotive 13201 regulator an Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump.

Very good stuff, to me !!!!!

Yep, going to start switching over to all Aeromotive stuff shortly,

running the Holley Black pump right now and have had good luck so far,

Looking to go all Aeromotive SS Series stuff,

Neal

Same thing !!!
Bad regulators..... tens of broken pumps..... many problems....

But everything went fine when I bought Aeromotive 13201 regulator an Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump.

Very good stuff, to me !!!!!

Stroker how is the 13201 working with the A1000 pump?

their web site suggest a different regulator for the A1000 but since I already have the 13201 it would be great if it would work.

Neal

To be honest I can't remember the part number..... but is an Aeromotive bypass regulator..... which is very important if you have a very big pump like the A1000.

I have a huge collection of broken fuel pumps..... and erratic regulators.

Aeromotive was the cure !!!!

thanks for the reply,

well my issues are not resolved, started having issues with the Aeromotive regulator today, pressure just falls off to 2 psi while accelerating and once I let off to level out the pressure returns.

I'm going to install a gauge in the supply line just before the regulator and see if the pump is the problem.

it never stops with this hobby,

Neal

Have you connected the vacuum tube from the manifold to the eventual connecton in the regulator?

If yes, this can be the problem.

If not the problem should be the pump.

Can you post a pic of the istallation ??

Have you connected the vacuum tube from the manifold to the eventual connecton in the regulator?

If yes, this can be the problem.

If not the problem should be the pump.

Can you post a pic of the istallation ??

I don't have any pics right now,

The pump is mounted in the rear of the car near the tank pulling suction from the OE unit and discharging into the OE fuel line to the engine compartment where the regulator is mounted to the passenger fender near the overflow tank. From the regulator to the carb fuel log is a 8AN line with a 10 micron filter. The second outlet of the regulator is connected to the return line with a .060" bleed jet.

I sent this description to Aeromotive and they suggested that the pump may be cavetating due to the suction line.

Neal

Tried removing the bleed jet and playing with the adjustment of the Aero regulator today.

The regulator does not react to the adjustments right away its like the regulator is sticking.

I took a ride after working the regulator back and forth and things are a little better. The fuel pressure is a lot more stable now at 6 psi and is holding there even when driving.

Now I think I need to look at the pump, when I get in it for a few seconds the pressure drops to around 1 psi, when I get out of it the pressure comes back.

I'm going to install the Holley regulator and see if it has the same symptoms, if so I know I need to look at the pump.

I've made quite a few runs at WOT in the past but have not watched the fuel pressure. I do have a wide band with data logging and have never seen the AFR go lean at WOT so don't think it was a issue in the past but it is now. The pump may be going out and its time to change it.

Neal

I called Aeromotive again today and talked with them about my issues,

I replaced my pump with another 140 GPH pump that was installed on a buddy's car so I knew it worked, same issues.

I explained to the Tech that the regulator did not adjust as it should nor did it react to the adjustments. Sometimes the pressure would fall when it should be increasing and increase when it should be falling. He explained that the regulator is just a spring and a diaphragm so it cannot be the cause of the issues. He suggested looking at the tank pickup sock and at the filter.

I installed the Holley regulator to give it another shot and while I had the Aeromotive regulator off I removed the adjustment stud and look what I found,

20141007_170248_zps1hlhkbg3.jpg

The spring was on its side and the diaphragm was twisted to the side. I was surprised it worked at all

Got everything straightened out and put back together today,

I was able to adjust it and get consistent pressure readings but didn't have time to drive it so that will have to wait until in the morning.

Neal :)

Last edited:
Took it out for a spin and all was good until I stretched it out again, pressure held good then fell off at WOT.

fuel pressure fell off after a few seconds at WOT,

Looking at pumps right now with a higher capacity,

leaning toward the Mallory Comp 5250, less noise then the normal pumps, been around a long time and have a pretty good rep with the racing crowed.

Neal

Last edited:
I think I found the main problem with my regulator and pump, the suction hose to the pump was flat where it came out of the top of the tank. The return line had crossed the supply line and flattened the supply line when the tank was secured in place. I sure thought there would have been more room on top of the tank for the lines.

20150214_185114_zpsxgwy7mz2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I had all ready purchased a new fuel system so while I had the tank out I installed the bolt in sump and started plumbing the new system. I have the rear half installed and will wait until I get the new supply and return lines ran before installing the new pump and regulator.

20150220_204233_zpsqemjipdy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Neal :wink:

I'm no expert, but it sound like the pump is starving for fuel.
Could there be a restriction somewhere on the fuel line, like a kinked hose?

All aeromotive here.

I have their street and strip fuel pump. A very large fuel filter cannister, and a pressure regulator up near the carb.

I like the fuel pump speed regulator. It cost $215. At engine idle, it runs the pump at a slow rpm. As engine rpm increases, it speeds up the fuel pump. I think that at 3000 rpm (?) the fuel pump speed regulator drives the pump at full speed...and pressure. The fuel pump speed regulator senses engine speed from a signal from traditional breaker points on the distributor or from engine speed signals from a HEI distributor. When the fuel pump speed regulator senses that you've turned off the engine (0 rpm), the regulator shuts off the fuel pump about two or three seconds after the engine has stopped.