Roof panel single piece race weigh fiberglass

84rzv500r

Knows just enough to be dangerous!
Roof panel single piece race weigh fiberglass, anyone still building these or do I have to pull a mold and make my own ???

the one I have is 1/2 thick and weighs a ton.

Angle grinder, flap wheel sanding disk, and vacuum to thin it down? I see they still make the Astro top, but 17 lbs is probably too much. Check craigs list for an old hardtop and cut it up.

dont need the whole hard top just enough to replace the t-tops like the astro roof but thats way to heavy my current panel weighs 22lbs

In thinking about setting a 3/16 piece of dark smoke lexan on it and letting it set in the summer sun here and help it a bit with the heat gun. then trim to fit

thoughts?thum_1659932830da6e7.jpg

Lexan is not cheap and even with the dark smoke will heat the interior.

Check out Speedway Motors for some 1/8" plastic. Available in 10 and 25 ft rolls. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Colored-Plastic-Rolls-10-Ft,1557.html
910041_L_ef5c9aed-4571-494a-80cb-ad162c28b20b.jpg

Under 20 bucks for the 10 foot roll - worthy of a trial for that roof.
[Standard disclaimer here... blah, blah, blah.]

I'll be using mine for the aero-underbody on the sports racer (as a trial) then on "Elvira."

Cheers - Jim

I have a roll of that at the shop... makes nice inner fenders. Im not so sure I care about heat... more about weight and usability... I hardy ever drive the car down here with the top on...

I think the thing to do is pull a mold from my existing top and make a thin fiberglass one. a couple of spruce stringers to give it a bit of rigidity... :bounce:

Sounds like a good plan:
I think the thing to do is pull a mold from my existing top and make a thin fiberglass one. a couple of spruce stringers to give it a bit of rigidity...

Maybe core it with blue foam. Heat shape the foam to the inside. Then a thin layer of glass on the inside. Cut your laminates in half - half outside/half inside. Be plenty rigid and light too.

Good luck however you attack the projo. Pics as you go please.

Cheers - Jim

Roof panel single piece race weigh fiberglass, anyone still building these or do I have to pull a mold and make my own ???

Motorsport Composite (formerly know as Competition fiberglass) in Mequon or Grafton WI has the mold, what you would get I believe is just a skin, call up there and talk with Wava Utt

Motorsport Composite (formerly know as Competition fiberglass) in Mequon or Grafton WI has the mold, what you would get I believe is just a skin, call up there and talk with Wava Utt

thanks... giving them a call..

I was considering doing a carbon one piece top for these that will attach using quik-latches seems to be more people wanting astro tops than I thought.