Distributor Rotor Phasing

tonyv123

Wish,...Wish harder
Has, or does, anyone phase their rotor? Any benefit? I was on the MSD site, and they say:

"Rotor phasing is the alignment between the rotor
tip and the distributor cap terminal when the spark occurs.
If the rotor tip is not aligned with the post when
the spark occurs, the spark may find another path to
ground resulting in scattered timing or a missfire."

Has, or does, anyone phase their rotor? Any benefit? I was on the MSD site, and they say:

"Rotor phasing is the alignment between the rotor
tip and the distributor cap terminal when the spark occurs.
If the rotor tip is not aligned with the post when
the spark occurs, the spark may find another path to
ground resulting in scattered timing or a missfire."

When the dimple on the dizzy gear lines up with the rotor tip, it is phased properly.(GM) Opposite assembly will cause the rotor to be 1/2 tooth "out of phase"

I just put the little slot on the rotor over the tab on the dizzy and it works just fine.:huh:

Yeh, me too, which is locked in with a computer car,...but you get that points or early HEI plate a spinning around with the vacuum advance pod there, sometimes pulling up to 20 deg on that thing, and I say that phasing has to be affected, obviouslly....

btw, when putting any GM dizzy together, you have to put the rotor button in place while fitting/orienting the dimple on the drive gear to the brass tab, otherwise you are out about 1/2 tooth on the timing....not that it much matters, but I can spot that way out there....on a computer car....

Yeh, me too, which is locked in with a computer car,...but you get that points or early HEI plate a spinning around with the vacuum advance pod there, sometimes pulling up to 20 deg on that thing, and I say that phasing has to be affected, obviouslly....

btw, when putting any GM dizzy together, you have to put the rotor button in place while fitting/orienting the dimple on the drive gear to the brass tab, otherwise you are out about 1/2 tooth on the timing....not that it much matters, but I can spot that way out there....on a computer car....

Good points!:thumbs:

I read an article that talked about this,and what i got from it is that the only time you need to check it is when you install a crank trigger,can't remember all the perticulars as to why but i could re-read it if you would like to know more :eek:h:

kwplot34,

Thanks, I studied up on it after reading the MSD article. What I draw from their info is that sometimes my rotor tip won't be in line with my plug tower when the spark is fired. MSD said it is a common problem, and should be checked. I was just wondering how common it really is, and should I correct it if I ain't lined up. I went ahead an drilled an old dizzy cap, checked, and found out I was 'in phase'.

Before I checked, I had always wondered why the built-up, on the inside of my dizzy cap plug termanials, were so corroded. I noticed the build-up was always more on one side of the terminal, leading me to believe I was 'out of phase'. False alarm for me, but as mrvette, and Mr. Bird said, you could still be off.

Thanks to all.