Plastic Fantastic 2

SuperBuickGuy

2 years - that is number of years I can go without a C3.

ut oh, there's an anti-theft device there
IMG_20170129_090318349_zpshnayyysw.jpg

My friend has a scoop... mine is bigger (where the 'ew' came from)
IMG_20170129_090311324_HDR_zpsl5anbrev.jpg

the motor and trans don't come with it, but it comes with its stock motor (a 350) and trans (a ST-10). This motor sounds good, very, very good. It's a 400 with the larger B&M blower (177 iirc)....
IMG_20170129_090236644_HDR_zps6vidoerc.jpg

IMG_20170129_090209024_HDR_zpsf5p8eel0.jpg

I paid less for this then for PF 1

Plans? Expectations will be fairly high after the Toyota! Just kidding, looks like a great start no matter what you do.

picked up some of the 'spare' parts.
this motor was rattling pretty good, however, it's a 4 bolt main 350 so useful for something
P1310181_zpsbo6hwzz2.jpg

and the transmission
P1310183_zpsmz77uuib.jpg

a nice surprise 882 2.02 heads, screw in studs, light porting
P1310184_zpswvf9q20z.jpg

and an airgap intake, edelbrock valve colvers, full roller rockers.
P1310186_zpstygt7keg.jpg

it also came with a removable cross member (manual cars don't have removable cross members).

what's cool about the motor parts is that someone spent some time and money on the car

Plans? Expectations will be fairly high after the Toyota! Just kidding, looks like a great start no matter what you do.

Oops, I didn't mention. I still have the custom images flares, so those are going on.

I have a 6.0 LS motor currently in a denali so that's going in probably with some turbos that are sitting on a shelf that will go into side pipes.

Transmission will probably be the Super T-10, but if a 5 or 6 speed fell into my lap (which will hold the power) - that would be the other choice.

My current thought is put a C4 suspension under it, and I have the parts for a guldstrand rear. That said, I may simply mix and match the two generations...

Fetching day.
but first.... yep, there's 3 broken teeth in that ST-10
P2090213_zpsfiwdyg3n.jpg

wave good bye
P2120215_zpsdznpfki4.jpg

we did a nice job of flattening berry vines and dirt piles fetching
P2120219_zpsxhpjibjt.jpg

P2120220_zpsqabfelss.jpg

and loading.... this is just before Regis did a full contact with the floor.... twas a bit slick. Thanks for taking one for the team, buddy.

P2120221_zpsuagjnk9v.jpg

no need to go to the gym today
P2120222_zpsuzadcoan.jpg

If you run trees over when they're young, it toughens them up
P2120225_zpsj2nfyzjp.jpg

loaded
P2120227_zps1ivizmop.jpg

stretching is appropriate when you're tossing a hood on
P2120228_zpsa7gca27y.jpg

if the GMC looks a bit upset, it's because it's going to be giving up its motor for the Corvette
P2120230_zpsd967vev7.jpg

Interior shot.... this one has frills, it's a 4 speed car but has power windows
P2120231_zpstoqkihaj.jpg

I just replaced the PW switches on my '72 console, with switches I picked out of a junkyard some 30? years ago....they are marked LOCK on them, from a car with electric door locks....just to be different...and mess with minds.....

:smash::eek:

under carriage shots
P2150232_zpso4lo0r7o.jpg
lots of leaks
P2150233_zps4uww0fhp.jpg
I wonder what he hit....
P2150234_zpsn5i5q9yo.jpg

the exhaust is also oval
P2150235_zpsrzqirlbb.jpg

bright side is they did a great job of protecting the underbody.... and I won't be using it anyway, so it's all good.

it really seems silly to me that the area under the cabin isn't cross braced..... so that is one of those things I'll add to this car.

IMO, the part of that frame to be concerned with is the rear side rails, right around and just forward of where the trailing arms bolt in.....famous rust area....:shocking::crap: kind of strange all that rust on the front cross member, must have had a leaking water pump for quite a while....

I see talk of an import engine for this on CF. Baiting the purists over there?

who me? :crylol: while I'm usually guilty of that - you need look to Alan for such shenanigans. That said, I could ask what they think of a duramax (it would probably fit under that silly hood scoop... :evil:

Spy video of the new motor. ?

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SDygVJRIb8k[/ame]

But seriously, it doesn't take a big change in the intake manifold height to use up all the space under a C3 cowl hood. I raised my l88 hood 1.5 in and still needed a drop base ac with the factory dual plane manifold. You might be happy with that hood.

I'm certain it will need something - but that scoop is a large bit too much. All I know right now is that it's not going on the finished project and that the flat hood won't work either - so the end will surprise me as well... that said, L88 hood with mods.... whatever it is, I plan on road courses and autocross with it, so seeing the passenger side is kind of non-negotiable.

love the deux chevaux - when I lived in France my first, serious girlfriend had one that she eventually rolled... before that.... well that suspension is cushy for far more then transporting eggs across a field :1st:

I'm still trying to decide what motor. It didn't get any easier this last week, I got as trade a 4 bolt main 454, and have a steel 427 crank... I really, really liked my last C3 - the knuckle-dragging simple no PS, no power brakes, manual transmission, stupid-large cam, hard-riding car. It was the hardest-driving, slowest-fast-car I ever had and absolutely the most fun car I've ever owned... decisions. Do I make it daily-driveable or build another 'race' car for the street?

I don't need a DD and the only reason I sold the last one was because I didn't want to repaint it when I put the flares on it (that and the suspension was done - and I wanted rack and pinion and the guldstrand rear setup)

Thoughts?

I had a steel head 427 in a 68 and really liked it. Headers, cam, intake, carb, msd billed dist, and msd6al really woke it up. You combo will be a few more ci's according to what I read.

Definitely do alum heads, alum intake, & alum water pump as well as pull weight off front end.

4.250 bore, 3.760 stroke, 426.72 ci. 454 standard block, 396 crank.

I will do as much lightness as possible should I go the bbc route.

You are right, I went back and checked, they did an overbore.

My opinion, an alum head big block will sell better when you want to get rid of the car. But, the LS take out engines are tempting.

It's not 4 bolt block, we're back to LS... though maybe LS 427 :thumbs:

I have a very good friend that, after driving my last C3, is now building his version of a C3 (Regis on Corvette Forum) that's doing a SBC 427 - I can't convince him to go LS, so I think I'll do the next, best thing.... build my own - though with that said, I'm not sure I can get the cubic inches with a 6.0 block (and that would stop that thought process immediately).

He's more driver comfort but still race-car-oriented. My concept of driver comfort is "if I can survive, it's perfect" so my going to 11 isn't really a challenge, more just kind of what I do.

Last edited: