HD C3 IRS build up

Really nice work !!

That hood looks mean :D

If you need some help shooting the primer/paint etc let me know :thumbs:

Thanks. You painting skills are far better than mine.

Hey, in your new garage, try throwing a big window ac unit in the side. My 3 car stayed real comfortable with one in the summer in Fl. Only kept it on when working and never saw much change in the utility bill.

This shows the clearance for the 1" drill bit when the inner fender is cut away. Just barely enough room.

DSC_0002.jpg

Here is the threaded section installed and held in place with 3/4" all thread. I'll weld both sides.

DSC_0009.jpg

Tom's Differentials:

I was afraid Tom would sell out his performance rear end parts, so I disrupted work on the interior and redid the rear end. My 70 has all of Tom's good stuff, although with a 10 bolt rear end. Tuned differential case, large U-Joints, large diameter half-shafts, large diameter 31 (32?) spline half axles.

My 68 has one of the last ever complete Corvette rear end IRS's ever completely rebuilt by Toms. I was one of the last customers before he left his Bellflower shop to move to Idaho. It was his Corvette guru Kenny who rebuilt everything. Once moved to Idaho, he no longer rebuild rear ends..only sells parts..and about the same time Kenny died at age 55 of a heart attack.

Last edited:
Tom's Differentials:

I was afraid Tom would sell out his performance rear end parts, so I disrupted work on the interior and redid the rear end. My 70 has all of Tom's good stuff, although with a 10 bolt rear end. Tuned differential case, large U-Joints, large diameter half-shafts, large diameter 31 (32?) spline half axles.

My 68 has one of the last ever complete Corvette rear end IRS's ever completely rebuilt by Toms. I was one of the last customers before he left his Bellflower shop to move to Idaho. It was his Corvette guru Kenny who rebuilt everything. Once moved to Idaho, he no longer rebuild rear ends..only sells parts..and about the same time Kenny died at age 55 of a heart attack.

I'm currently looking for a IRS iron case. I think I'll build a second 4:11 unit this winter. Hopefully Tom will tune the posi again.

My cheap tig torch was a little too big for welding the toe adjuster nuts to the frame. So I bought this in a flexible head version.

Weldcraft® A-80 Series
Formerly known as the WP-24 Series, the A-80 Series is comprised of innovative torches designed for intricate welding applications, especially in limited-access areas, that work well on thinner gauge materials.

It is really compact. I'll be able to weld on inside and outside of the nut.

Looks like strange has best prices on 3" chrome moly drive shaft. Just have to decide if I want the extra hd weld in yokes. But for the small difference in price I probably will.

New torch, I like the flexible feature.

DSC_0038.jpg

Picked this up the other day. From a 78 that was being converted to a drag car. The 3:08 rear is almost too nice to tear up, but it probably is best to start with a unit that seems flawless. Some surface rust. Don't know what I'll do with all the other stuff. The disks are no good, but everything else is reusable/rebuildable.

DSC_0036.jpg

May have to hack the floor a bit for the ends.

DSC_0042-2.jpg

Very nice part.

I'm looking for a stock style fiberglass rear bumper for a 75, if anyone has one laying around they want to sell or trade. 14 yrs with the last bumper cover, time for a change.

Last edited:
The mini torch is working very well. Welding laying down with bifocals isn't one of my favorite things but it is 30% done. Once I have as much done as possible, I'll remove the all-thread and finish the welds.

DSC_0089.jpg

Let the grinding begin.

I won't need that 75 OEM style bumper anymore. I got this instead. Plan is to find a frame, order a cage kit, and upgrade the 75.

DSC_0088.jpg

Need to get the 75 and camaro put back together before doing the 75 rebuild.

1. AFCO Racing's quality and design help these replacement shock bearings stand up to the toughest standards and conditions, from daily commuting to full-on racing. These shock bearings are replacements for your AFCO Racing shocks. They are available for street rod, race, and coil-over applications.

AFCO Shock End Drag Bearing, Comp Lined

1/2 I.D. x 1.06 Inch Wide
standard bearing
Bearing housing is 1.06" o.d. and 1" wide.
Sleeve is .683" o.d. and .390" wide

2. 1973-88 GM Midsize Rear Control Arm Spherical Bushing

These steel rear control arm bushings have spherical bearings in them, just like a rod end, which frees up suspension movements and eliminates binding. Fits '73-'88 GM midsize upper and lower rear control

I've been looking at spherical bearings like above to make a press fit Johnny joint on my Tom's TA's. I don't like the way most hole saw out the arm and weld. Plus Tom's has a unique id. I'll keep you posted.

I got a decent 68 frame last week.

DSC_0094_1.jpg

Cleaned the hubs up on the lathe. Then installed 1/2 studs.

DSC_0109_1.jpg

The inside weld. It should last for the summer.

Almost finished the second brake support, will post photos later. The stamped steel brackets are poor dimensionally, so it is a slow fitting process.

I don't think you could just bolt these on out of a box.

Next time I'd use 1" stock and make the a bit more asthetic.

DSC_0119_1.jpg

Basic, but functional. It triagulates the bracket.

Got the new body stripped. It is in really good shape got a bargain.

DSC_0151.jpg

Doors and rear deck lid still need to be stripped.

The battery box and storage compartment had to go for trailing arm adjusters and big half shafts. This was done as an experiment. I think I'll get an aluminum welder for doing the new body.

DSC_0156.jpg