33 Ford

As I mentioned when I suggested the flat head it depends on how much you plan to drive it. I emailed my friend with the updated flattie. He replied but is out of the country right now. I expect that he will get back to me. Might as well check it out.

I just got a 289 from a 67 mustang...now I need to find a T5. I bought the motor air cleaner to oil pan...I am surprised at how light it is...two could easily lift it.

Last edited:
Good score, what do you plan to do about the oil pan thing?

While I am aware of the problem I have not looked into it much. I did read about a dual sump pan, with the front being shallower and the oil pickup re-located to the rear of the pan. It couldn't be too hard to work out…do you have any tips?

The reason that so many classic Fords [sadly] have sbc's in them is because the front sump pans in the Fords engines don't easily fit in them. I have never built an early Ford [but would love to have your Coupe]. Have a look at "Speedway Motors" offerings. I'm just heading out of town or I would have a look for you. I have some old hot rodder friends in the city I used to live in. I could look them up and ask if you get stuck.
Merry Christmas, Frank

I heard back from my world traveling buddy. He indicates that many US hot rod builders are now going to flatheads v8's becausethey are some how [going to be/] exempt from "eliminated from environmental rule changes". You may want to check into that.

Flathead Info as recieved:

"Frank, probably best if your guy calls Dave to discuss with him. He is the worlds best at building a flattie. He built mine and it is awesome. It is 41/4" stroke 3 5/16" bore, big valves, ported stellite seats. Forged alluminum main cap. Too much to try to mention. Dave is a great guy and can explain all the things that need to happen. He worked with Jack Rousch at Ford and developed the BOSS 302 package back in the day.
Dave Tatom 360 770 3760. Tell your friend to mention my name.
He should use a flat head. The US builders are doing this because they will be eliminated from environmental rule changes
Regards
Tom"

I heard back from my world traveling buddy. He indicates that many US hot rod builders are now going to flatheads v8's becausethey are some how [going to be/] exempt from "eliminated from environmental rule changes". You may want to check into that.

Flathead Info as recieved:

"Frank, probably best if your guy calls Dave to discuss with him. He is the worlds best at building a flattie. He built mine and it is awesome. It is 41/4" stroke 3 5/16" bore, big valves, ported stellite seats. Forged alluminum main cap. Too much to try to mention. Dave is a great guy and can explain all the things that need to happen. He worked with Jack Rousch at Ford and developed the BOSS 302 package back in the day.
Dave Tatom 360 770 3760. Tell your friend to mention my name.
He should use a flat head. The US builders are doing this because they will be eliminated from environmental rule changes
Regards
Tom"

Thanks for the info....I am not sure what environmental rule changes could possibly be. It seems like any of these rule changes would effect the corvettes as well. I would love nothing more than a flattie as described above, but with the economy what it is I am building the car nice but on the cheap. I only paid 1k for my freshly rebuilt, complete 289...all I need is an ignition.

Flatheads have always had one drawback. Valve size. You can only go so big before they crack. And that is the block. That is wht they came out with the Ardun heads. Big $$$ for those. (Anybody know who invented them?)

Flatheads have always had one drawback. Valve size. You can only go so big before they crack. And that is the block. That is wht they came out with the Ardun heads. Big $$$ for those. (Anybody know who invented them?)

Zora????????

i am sticking with a flat head in my 37 but the guy down the street has some buick from the late 70s or early 80s that has something like a 3.8 with turbo......now that would be unique

That would be a Grand National engine. Faster than the Corvettes of the same year. Still would be totally wrong in a Ford IMO. Especially a nice one.

That would be a Grand National engine. Faster than the Corvettes of the same year. Still would be totally wrong in a Ford IMO. Especially a nice one.

Those are strong engines, but I agree it seems wrong. I am still gathering parts and knowledge but I look forward to working on it when the weather gets warmer....6F right now.

Zora????????

Yepper. Ar-DUNtov :thumbs:

i am sticking with a flat head in my 37 but the guy down the street has some buick from the late 70s or early 80s that has something like a 3.8 with turbo......now that would be unique

Bird, U and me probably the only two olde phardts here that can remember that....

and I think a nice 3.8 '87 GN turbo is a nice addition to most any car...

a long gone old friend had one...it was a fun car....

and a olde tyme buddy had a nearly NEW GNX.....snicker....it was a nice drive....

:smash::eek:

I got to measuring how the 289 will fit and I figure there was no possible way it would fit without recessing the firewall. This is not too big a deal but it cuts down on leg room and I would rather not cut up my original firewall just to fit the 289. So I picked up a 1953 Ford flathead and I will run a T5 behind it to a 1939 banjo rear. This will also solve any oil pan interference with the steering.

That is going to be incredable. You should be able to drive that quite regularily. Especially with the o/d. What do you know about the engine condition? Got any more pics? I'm very envious - 33 3window..... Jeezz..