Headers, the good the bad the ugly???

Soooooo, did you start it yet? *drooling*

He probably lost the key..:tomato:

I've got Hooker, but they're the sidepipe style. But Hooker would be my vote anyway.

Whatever brand, get them JetHot coated. Makes them a little more efficient, reduces underhood temps, and keeps the rust away.

Watch out for Hedmans. Maybe they have fixed this but the older full length headers really hung down low on a big block C3.

He probably lost the key..:tomato:

I've got Hooker, but they're the sidepipe style. But Hooker would be my vote anyway.

Whatever brand, get them JetHot coated. Makes them a little more efficient, reduces underhood temps, and keeps the rust away.

The keys???
Oh they are on the steering column, the column is beside the tool box...

I havnt started it yet, Fastphil was at Summit few days ago and is bringing me few parts and a fuel pump that will clear the frame gussets.
probably sometime this week.

I vote for stainless.... I just don't trust any coating, especially if you need to "customize" the fitment with a hammer.

I vote for stainless.... I just don't trust any coating, especially if you need to "customize" the fitment with a hammer.

Me too but who makes SS for a BBC?

Take a look at Schoenfeld Headers.com do a search....

they made the headers that work fine for my SBC, but I dunno about others...

I THINK they are Arkansas, I"d have to go look...

:tomato:

It may be a pain, but you could always make sure they fit, make any modifications, then send them off to Jet Hot for coating. I bought a used exhaust system for my old motorcycle that had some minor crash damage. I repaired it, made sure everything fit right, then sent it off to Jet Hot.

As far as headers go for the Vette, I bought some VERY lightly used (maybe not even used at all and just stored in a garage) Hooker Competition headers off ebay years ago for my Vette. I think I got them for $69. At the time I was planning on running a tall deck 427, so header mods were necessary, so a cheap set made sense. I never finished the install on the big block, but did mock them up in the chassis. They actually fit pretty well considering the 0.400" taller deck height. 2" primary and 3" collector, so they are older Hooker Comp headers, not Super Comps. The current plan is to go back with a small block so the Hookers will get mothballed along with the big block for a later date and/or project.

In conclusion, see what you can find on ebay, fit them up and then go for Jet Hot. Unless you go for block huggers, long tubes rarely fit without some massaging into place.

-Red 77

those will not fit a vette.

SS Autochrome sells stainless sidepipe headers for C3s

The side pipes themselves are junk though, restrictive mufflers

Thanks Karsten, I bought a pair from ebay, Think it came to 87 bucks. they came from a BBC Vette should get them soon.
Cheap and for now, they will hopefully do the job

Thanks to Denpo,

those will not fit a vette.

SS Autochrome sells stainless sidepipe headers for C3s

The side pipes themselves are junk though, restrictive mufflers

Will these headers mate up to the factory sidepipe mufflers? I have Hedman side exhaust headers on my 68 ZZ4. I think the steel is of very poor quality. Even though they were plasma coated (jet hot) they're starting to rust. I'd like to replace them with stainless. Too bad the Hedman's are of such poor quality. They only cost $179, I wish they'd cost more and provide better quality. They're designed to be used with the 69 factory sidepipe exhaust system.

Thanks Karsten, I bought a pair from ebay, Think it came to 87 bucks. they came from a BBC Vette should get them soon.
Cheap and for now, they will hopefully do the job

Thanks to Denpo,

That's what we found :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/17085103380.../sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=170851033806&_rdc=1

The trick was the shipping calculator was screwed up, showing 170$ shipping estimate. We mailed the seller and sorted this out, shipping was less than 40$.
That's THE Ebay deal, seller don't describe correctly the item and it's not selling.

I snatched a lakewood scattershield w/ the engine plate for 110$ shipped, just because the seller advertised as being only for 327ci SBCs while it would fit any, I was the only bidder.

I just ordered Hooker SS headers and sidepipes for my 74.
Big bucks and 4-6 week back order.