Stripping Paint on a Fiberglass Hood

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I have an aftermarket hood that has been painted with lacquer. I would like to strip the paint off. I've searched for paint strippers that are safe for fiberglass and have not found anything other than danger warnings. I pretty easily removed some of the paint on it with lacquer thinner and a paper towel. I assume lacquer thinner is OK to use on fiberglass. I think I have actually seen people wipe down Corvettes with lacquer thinner before paint.

It would be great to find a slow drying gel type lacquer thinner to strip this hood but I can't find anything. Or, as an alternative is there an additive I can add to gel lacquer thinner?

I had some "aerospace" paint stripper that worked well. Sounds like you are not too keen on sanding. Can't blame you a bit. Check out the West Marine or Defender on-line catalogs. Boats are fiberglass and a lot of those strippers now advise "environmentally-friendly". I'd get one that was good for topside paint too not just bottom paint.

Best of luck -

Cheers - Jim

I found some stuff at West Marine from Interlux that says it's for fiberglass but it's not available. Went to the Interlux website and its "retired". I need to bite the bullet and sand it off. That will take about the same time and is less messy anyway.

Echlers always had good stripper. But I think it all got banned.