Plastic Fantastic 2

it's more a seat belt bar that does other duties....

still learning how to use this.... would be awesome for these brackets
EdNrS9Vh.jpg

roll bar plates
tTkcgceh.jpg
with some bends
52xAR6vh.jpg
in my old brake - there are advantages to using this over the other brake - the other is good for repetition but set up would be longer (and potential for screw up)
AP4ahFih.jpg
a couple more brackets... this ties to the seat belt anchors
​​​​​​​u2hJlEAh.jpg

got distracted by life stuff today, but went a little forward
tabs to bar
mQQYyDSh.jpg
fit then tack the bottom plate
6dpn4dbh.jpg

next up is the cross bars.edited I also bought the aluminum for the floor pan

frame brace
WBn8Y3Oh.jpg
2mbES6Ih.jpg

and weld the seat belt hoop up.... it needs a bunch more tubes, but figured I'd weld when I had a minute
56jhfaqh.jpg

it also didn't come out easily, which is fine - the tab will need to be pushed back to the to top then bolted in place.... anyway, that's it for tonight

Some say those kind use less space to run and you can use a magnet digital angle meter which is important to some. Your bender looks heavy duty.

Some say those kind use less space to run and you can use a magnet digital angle meter which is important to some. Your bender looks heavy duty.

the biggest issue is multiple angles. You have the bend angle, but not all tubes are bent solely on the X and Y axis. By going vertical, you have 90* of freedom to work in the Z direction. With horizontal benders, the floor, often, gets in the way of the X axis....

second, being perpendicular to the floor is easier to do (for me) then parallel - especially when there's a lot of weight hanging in mid-air

third, follows the perpendicular - you can use a framing square to check but also you can look down to the pipe behind the machine to line up 90*

The biggest selling point for horizontal is it's a lot easier to feed the machine because you have freedom to slide the part back into the machine then put the shoes in place to continue a bend... trying to re-line up an under-bent piece is a challenge with the vertical machines.

Last edited:
since I have some enforced time off.... might as well make the best of it but working on this
First some radiator support brackets
Yy3Cs9Qh.jpg
89yOfwKh.jpg
weld in place then give it a good cool downedited because I'm done after this
wW6vdHCh.jpg
3w95YBbh.jpg
zabhUHGh.jpg

then work a few minutes (again, cool down time) on the rear cage/support
f259Pqbh.jpg
ahlk4Weh.jpg

then start on this tie-together... I think I'm going to have a problem and have to shorten the driveshaft... ugh oh well.edited If I leave it this length, I'm pretty sure it'll never come back out without pulling the motor....edited
ZSfLYw1h.jpg
the other benefit of this brace is I can build the belly pan and have a good attachment point
oq3AuYhh.jpg

my big, hairy, audacious goal is paint the car at the end of these 2 weeks....edited
​​​​​​​

time to make it level.... and drag out the stands
FAQPv9ph.jpg
then weld it yesterday's part and this into place
aYSaQ0fh.jpg

hKgSrbGh.jpg

this creates the floor for the cargo area and also allows me to run cross braces that tie through it to the frame

tire stripping earlier today
B6BJFnsh.jpg
easy
YaiJnQnh.jpg

time to weld the cross brace together
kSn6fZMh.jpg

and remove this inner wall
hKluI8Qh.jpg

removed
Y66pb0Yh.jpg
I think the braces will look like this then cut the middle out so I can put the battery in the battery box (that will be behind the chassis brace)
D1rjTchh.jpg

I need another bracket solution... think the alternator is going to move to the other side
jc8XgnPh.jpg

my virus hidaway
​​​​​​​4LhzGl5h.jpg

let there be paint
4lwr94Ch.jpg

so the V... is so I can put the battery behind the brace
QbeEgLUh.jpg

chop chop
aFm9Sxfh.jpg

tack tack
851KWuQh.jpg

weld weld
FZ9yzZDh.jpg

paint paint
VFTjAO9h.jpg
knZZ9t9h.jpg

more chop chop
z0xLBu8h.jpg
lUmoQ1Gh.jpg

mostly it's there because I needed to weld the bar - but any extra space behind the seat is a good thing.edited tomorrow, floor
​​​​​​​

battery box issues
5gH4NCPh.jpg
and it can get through the hole...
872pRRXh.jpg

but I dunno, I've threatened before to put it in the engine compartment - but even there has issues (too close to heat)...

Battery -

Looks like (there is now a tray) you are settling on the location in general.
Any thoughts to:
1. Swapping out for a top lug style?
2. Moving slightly to left - offset some driver weight?
3. Putting lugs to rear - looks awful close to your cross-member. (tough to change out - again top lugs easier)​

Guessing a "tie-down" is coming soon too.

Nice C.A.D. work!

Cheers - Jim

time to make it real
but first, a brake repair
mrryT9Xh.jpg
PGEJXSfh.jpg

now I can bend
to be honest, I haven't decided if ribs are necessary
yaVuTZ5h.jpg

the tonight project is fill these holes
Q2PhmsCh.jpg

battery box
SrTpzCah.jpg
U91AFyjh.jpg
and there it is... means the 'floor' is a bit taller, but since that area is pretty much useless once the roll bar is in place.... no biggie
​​​​​​​MyJdtZJh.jpg