Plastic Fantastic 2

well, back to this.... got most of the parts in - still waiting on window motors, but outside of that.... I think I have everything
BgNtvc9h.jpg
I convinced myself this car was worth a Dakota Digital package... which almost didn't happen courtesy of that company we called FedUp
YmjHTQzh.jpg
wAjCdplh.jpg
qOjV85uh.jpg
in other news, I wonder at why I had all sorts of pressure when I built this and very low pressure now...
Glj5Cich.jpg
well, if the distributor moves up....
bA1uD4Ph.jpg
2a6Q9hih.jpg
yep, God was watching over me
and oil pressure
O6S0hmQh.jpg
locked in place.. forever.. just like before
PIOhrslh.jpg

in other news, I have shaft rockers for this - and the rockers seem a bit loose
​​​​​​​izpH7RSh.jpg

Onward
a lot of tonight was change the oil and cut the filter.... it looks okay - no big chunks and about normal for a first-fire oil change
then remove the other gauge stuff for the new gauges
​​​​​​​
then install gauges in the bezels
old
PNTxUeZh.jpg
XEKj1yYh.jpg
new... and more breakage.
SIHVgZDh.jpg
new
K2WORVVh.jpg
and the center stack
e4dbpGwh.jpg
new headlight switch
Y3faWFOh.jpg
pw switches
qlxwNceh.jpg
4bv2cMAh.jpg
Fx9NPXph.jpg

mirror, minus light
eJTXfAXh.jpg

how to wire the doors
11SlOUYh.jpg
use picks to press in on the outside of the brass ferule
6yxzDKjh.jpg
pull out to get loose of housing
HJOFNfBh.jpg
note the silver mark - I mark the wire and its attendant hole so they don't get mixed up going back together
iAog7ZPh.jpg
remove the housing
iJ74Howh.jpg
remove from the wire guard
4EW6GxGh.jpg
there is a hole that lines up with the hole in the door... feed into the door jamb
4D9e8qQh.jpg
feed the wire through the guard then into the door
bAh6BPlh.jpg
snap the wires back into the housing
nOEN019h.jpg
and then install the dust block
gc4AiFqh.jpg

then onto wrapping sidepipes...edited
0RgGM7Eh.jpg
W7m61Ogh.jpg
the stainless is growing on me
uWQ2NS7h.jpg

I used DEI wrap, then used two exhaust pipe clamps to hold either end.... that ain't goin' nowhere lol

time to show the result.
F7BBD9Zh.jpg
the metal band is over the DEI wrap
OswCWynh.jpg
right next to it is 215 degrees
cArR7Brh.jpg
I had to adjust the front band to be sure it wasn't touching the bit that's 379 degrees - because heat does travel... that said, I may still paint "HOT" as a stencil ... stylistically I won't like it but I don't want to see someone get a nasty burn
to be clear, the point of the wrap is to prevent me or a passenger from getting burned getting in or out
0RgGM7Eh.jpg

then I worked on the power window motor... it's toast
Qknez0Bh.jpg
note the step where the brushes ride...
RZ5CB7kh.jpg

hopefully the new motors will arrive soon - been patient because Zip was a lot cheaper... but time's up.

lights.... work
qGcV4jFh.jpg
na7JK2Wh.jpg
C7tz3lih.jpg
now to wire the linear actuators... there's a possibility that I'll either be buying more actuators or that they "only adjusted at the factory" means "only adjusted at the factory unless it goes to Aaron"
in other news, starting to get the interior sealed up as well
ky6bBpuh.jpg
​​​​​​​

nice work on the lights, thats really impressive wrap to bring the heat down like that on the side pipes

Installed rear bulkhead
Rhz9Ickh.jpg
carpet
wJzKthPh.jpg
old stuff makes a good pattern but smells terrible
ljUmQiDh.jpg
gUgmUjIh.jpg
DvnioWrh.jpg
glue new pieces together
BGPbJr2h.jpg
yum, fresh carpet smell
QyPrX6jh.jpg
lots of fitting
ac2OcUuh.jpg
nNzChjvh.jpg

also got the plexiglass rear window
6KEC4N9h.jpg
qNRXcZbh.jpg

some parts came in for it - I worked on my gas powered air brush compressor until I ran into needing parts... but had a few minutes to get a bit further
IGIFd9Mh.jpg
the short story - I have friends who transport medical personnel for free to the Bolivian highlands where they provide free medical help and air ambulance services to the people who live at the top of the world. They need to lower the weight of their equipment, and right now that's a 20lb air brush compressor and a 50 lb generator... this is 15 lbs. They asked for help, and I guess I was it (bottom of the barrel if you ask me)....
back to CC (Corvette Content).
krgG1Rnh.jpg
some parts. Ordered 2 lenses, got 1
UW2v9zJh.jpg
and fixed this... oops
Y3MckhOh.jpg
in the spirit of breaking warranties....
I took this apart to see how hard it was going to be to limit its travel.edited Initially I was going to put an external switch... no need, just need to shorten a bit inside... but more on that later
​​​​​​​xInipQCh.jpg

this should give you an idea of why less weight is important
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtoDt-82g5E[/ame]

Last edited:
wow i cant decide if thats exhilarating or terrifying...kind of like the scene in Ford vs Ferrrai with Henry Ford crying in the GT40

wow i cant decide if thats exhilarating or terrifying...kind of like the scene in Ford vs Ferrrai with Henry Ford crying in the GT40

that strip is at 13,000 feet.... terrifying. I have friends in the STOL community, all of them speak with admiration at where he flies.... I have a video that I can't share but it's where it nearly ends his career on a takeoff. We joke that our guardian angels are never bored.

continuation of breaking the warranty
gIjon3D.jpg
b3CIVmg.jpg
clever - now to figure out how to shorten the push
and my most favoritest job ever... not
ERfIt6z.jpg
and finish work on the panel (cover the holes)
kuDLIUyh.jpg
it would have been nice if this set of instructions had been included.. ah well, fortunately it's really expensive and they use FedUp
jfalcLbh.jpg

Insurance company pictures
hkwCO88h.jpg
L8WoeTgh.jpg
QPxUMlqh.jpg
OmbQewHh.jpg
kCsFIMAh.jpg
9qfnbz5h.jpg

still waiting for some random parts and now looking for a door trigger rod... ugh!
thankfully my '40 started acting up so I have yet something else to do

I think I missed something on the linear actuators. Are those for headlights? Part numbers? Sorry to be obtuse, can't see where you discussed them before...

I think I missed something on the linear actuators. Are those for headlights? Part numbers? Sorry to be obtuse, can't see where you discussed them before...

no part numbers yet because I'm not sure they work
yes, to replace the vacuum system in the headlights

onward.... got a late start, and moved pretty slow, it was 20 degrees hotter than normal....edited
yfNLWmKh.jpg
first things first, throw some paint on a place they didn't get.....edited
bukQXJGh.jpg
YIX8NkAh.jpg
nXa8v6Xh.jpg