L88 distance kit

Their ad says that their piece reduces the weight of the cover function "by close to 25 pounds". Is the factory assembly (wiper cover, grill, linkages, and vacuum can) that damn heavy?

Good question. There are a lot of parts, but I'd guess about half what they claim at most. I rebuilt one and seem to remember the original cover was cast.

I have some numbers : Wiper door 2.56 kg or 5.64 lbs Grille 1.6 kg or 3.52 lbs Mechanism and vacuum can 3.14 kg or 7.49 lbs
So a total of 7.30 kg or 16.65 lbs :gurney:

Then if you replace it with a fiber panel at say 1.5 kg or 3.3 lbs it is still significant !!

Last edited:
Funny !! I was reading this article about the lightweight C3 last night !!
My next project : Find a convertible ,use and abuse the body with a disc sander , paint it the same than my actual car and swap body !! Et voila, 2 sec per lap !!!!

And yes needle in the haystack !!! But you know, it is when you are not looking for it that you will find it !!

Last edited:
Redvet

Did you or do you have an original set of covers for sale ?
I find that my repro are good but not that good.

it`s a sore subject but basically (with the help of ebay) mine were stolen, originals were plexiglass, reproductions should be the stronger Lexan. do a google search for Vintage Exotics, Jim Cantrell is a Corvette racer in Tuscon who makes and sells the FIA covers, ask Jim about the wiper door cover also.

Redvet

Did you or do you have an original set of covers for sale ?
I find that my repro are good but not that good.

it`s a sore subject but basically (with the help of ebay) mine were stolen, originals were plexiglass, reproductions should be the stronger Lexan. do a google search for Vintage Exotics, Jim Cantrell is a Corvette racer in Tuscon who makes and sells the FIA covers, ask Jim about the wiper door cover also.

I bought my kit from Jim, as I never had a single reply of my numerous email to Classic aircraft, so I am not surprised that they are not replying to my actual one !!
It was good to deal with Jim matter of facts. And yes he is selling wiper door, spoiler and other body panels either fibre or carbone.

Pity about your covers !! I feel that mines are a bit , how to say it , diluted !!
By maybe, being taken from a mold of a mold. But I have never seen an original, so maybe I'm wrong there.

Needle in the haystack :)

This adds wheel spacers and light weight panels:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.he...---1969-Chevrolet-Corvette/1539000.html?amp=1

I asked famous Corvette racer Tony Delorenzo about "lightweight cars" all he could think was they were referring to aluminum heads.

Legends are made that way:), or maybe Tony had already a lightweight car !! By replacing damaged body panels by after market lighter one, you will end up that way ?!

Needle in the haystack :)

This adds wheel spacers and light weight panels:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.he...---1969-Chevrolet-Corvette/1539000.html?amp=1

I asked famous Corvette racer Tony Delorenzo about "lightweight cars" all he could think was they were referring to aluminum heads.

I'm not surprised that urban legends exist in the auto industry. Good info.

I dug out my L88 book, corvette racing legends, but since it has no index, you would have to skim each page.

I must do one thing, is to apologize to Jim Teasley . I said that I never had any replies to all my emails , well !! He did reply to my last one, and the most important. Thank you sir.
Here is the content, who I think will interest some members.

Thierry,

I can tell you that the L88 Flares and L88 FIA Road Racing Light Kits did have part numbers. The Wiper Cover and Front Spoiler were manufacture by Greenwood Racing. Burt and John Greenwood sold and used these two items on the cars they built and raced. I'm 72 years old and can tell you all of these items were used during the 1968 and later racing venues here in the states and even at LeMans and Sebring.

I will get you the GM Part Numbers for the Flares and Road Racing Light Parts. Give me a few days to retrieve this information.

Jim Teasley
Classic Aircraft & Auto Inc.
www.classicaircraftautoinc.com

I have one real deal GM L-88 rear flare left, the part number was printed a on a piece of paper and glassed into the back side, I believe the flares were originally built for GM by Diversified glass.

I have one real deal GM L-88 rear flare left, the part number was printed a on a piece of paper and glassed into the back side, I believe the flares were originally built for GM by Diversified glass.

Yes you are right, and those original parts number were the easiest to find in the catalogs.
I need to check out that name.

Thanks red.

I wonder how accurate this claim is:

https://www.corvettecentral.com/c3-...68-72-l88-fia-le-mans-front-spoiler-nd-143057

"This is an exact copy of the original L88 FIA Spoiler used during the late 1960's and early 1970's. This spoiler is manufactured in a mold that produces the highest quality part without warpage and with high quality workmanship. Brake ducting is included that extends further than others to insure. "

They seem to imply it is a factory part.

Also here:

https://www.corvetteupgrade.com/product/c3-l88-fia-front-spoiler/

https://www.classicaircraftautoinc.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3577452

Last edited:
Thierry,

Here are the Part Numbers for the flares and the major parts for the L88 Road Racing Light Kit.

Flares:

Left Front - 3958681
Right Front - 3958682
Left Rear - 3958683
Right Rear - 3958684

Plexiglass Lens/Covers:

Left/Driver Side - 3961465
Right/Passenger Side - 3961466

All of the above Part Numbers are GM and were available over the counter in 1968 through about 1972 when GM Stopped Making Parts For Racing. My company started making the flares and light kit at that time.

As to the spoiler and wiper cover, these were both made in the early 70's by Greenwood Racing. They are no longer in business. John Greewood died about three years ago and his brother Burt is in failing health. Burt might be agreeable to stating for the record that Greenwood Racing designed and manufactured these.

Hope this helps and please stay in touch.
Jim Teasley
Classic Aircraft & Auto Inc.
www.classicaircraftautoinc.com

Well ? I really grateful to Jim Teasley for the information . And sad for Burt.

So ?? Apparently cover and spoiler appeared in early 70's . What I noticed is two model spoilers were fitted.
One with really deep brake scoops the other less so and more outside. So ???

But the cover was present on the AIR's cars at Daytona some time earlier , but no spoiler there.

Interesting isn't it ?

I don`t remember John Greenwood racing selling the wiper cover although brother Bert is still pretty active on the Greenwood race cars facebook page, you could ask him to be sure what they did and didn`t sell. as I remember FGregg racing in CA built the wiper door, Guldstrand and FGregg sold them, Frank Griegorian also sold the spoiler, headlight covers/buckets and fender flares, I dealt with Frank once, good guy and then he just disappeared, Jim Cantrell in Tuscon (as I remember) bought Fgregg tooling/molds.

I don`t remember John Greenwood racing selling the wiper cover although brother Bert is still pretty active on the Greenwood race cars facebook page, you could ask him to be sure what they did and didn`t sell. as I remember FGregg racing in CA built the wiper door, Guldstrand and FGregg sold them, Frank Griegorian also sold the spoiler, headlight covers/buckets and fender flares, I dealt with Frank once, good guy and then he just disappeared, Jim Cantrell in Tuscon (as I remember) bought Fgregg tooling/molds.

Thank you very much for mentioning the FB page, once accepted I will message Burt.