Plastic Fantastic 2

​Spark plugs.

When I built the motor, I wasn't that concerned.... so I bought the 'stock' plug for the 85 454 block.... rc12yc.... which is a fairly hot plug... the range is rc14yc as hottest plug, rc7yc as the coldest. A stock 454/427 late 60s/early 70s calls for a rc8yc (not the correct plug but illustrates the cold range)

the 85 454 has a 8.5 compression, the 70 454 has 11:1 (roughly). With that said, I have aluminum heads... my guess would be make it warmer, Champion suggests going from a 14 to a 4 (basically hottest to the coldest they make).... hmmmm.... looks like I need more data points.

I'll try a 9 or even a 10 next... at this point, I'm a bit concerned about detonation - it has a nice burn pattern and color (a bit rich)

more info

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with FiTech.They say the jets were misdrilled in the throttle body (it really looks like a super-sized annular discharge).edited They're sending a brand new throttle body with new computer and new injectors to replace it.Keep in mind, this is 6 months out of warranty.... I've said it before, I'll say it again... don't buy an EFI based upon their sales pitch, buy based upon their customer service.... and let's frame that, my EZ EFI, I dialed their customer service, it put me on hold for 2 days.Basically I called, put me through then put me on hold until I gave up 2 days later. Yeah, EZ EFI, that's MSD... which is Holley.

working on the headlight motors
so the other brackets - the motor needs to have a steeper angle to start the push otherwise they stall... so the aluminum brackets started
KlGrUoph.jpg
CF5x95Ph.jpg
drill for a pin
W3mKWxBh.jpg
mB8BGZhh.jpg
also the push rod cannot be straight
37BsLUFh.jpg
installed
GZRu6PQh.jpg
m97OIK0h.jpg

it works far better, now I need to install limit switches

tonight was a planning night (as it was on my '40)
I need to build a stop into this arm.... not sure how yet
​​​​​​​y8fVxqrh.jpg

I'm back in the noise business

F0lAEKjh.jpg
they replaced the throttle body, computer, and injectors on their dime... to remind, this was out-of-warranty but the right thing to do - and they did it.editededited
nbG81zth.jpg

no more spray out the top, no clicking noise... I may be going to another car show tomorrow, so if it doesn't actively rain - I'll drive this

4sfTUAMh.jpg

mandatory tool.
0jeHDp3h.jpg

after watching the latest Binky, I think I'm going to get a wet-system for my car. I used to install commercial, kitchen fire systems (Range Guard) - I think I'm going to basically meld the Binky system with true fusible links (thus it will set the system off without need for human interaction (outside of pulling the pin to arm the system only when I want it armed).

how detailed will I be? hmm, I'll get back to you - likely I'll only detail here on VetteMod....

Last edited:
mandatory tool.
0jeHDp3h.jpg

after watching the latest Binky, I think I'm going to get a wet-system for my car. I used to install commercial, kitchen fire systems (Range Guard) - I think I'm going to basically meld the Binky system with true fusible links (thus it will set the system off without need for human interaction (outside of pulling the pin to arm the system only when I want it armed).

how detailed will I be? hmm, I'll get back to you - likely I'll only detail here on VetteMod....

Very interested in seeing what you do. I was thinking of installing some type of fire suppression as well. I'm in the fire pump business but I don't think I'll be able to utilize any of my knowledge with an on board wet system.

Yes! I'm putting one in (as soon as I get to that point).
I left my 'vette with my Brother-in-Law when we went to mexico. Two years later he sends me these pics.

12695fbe7bf6cac44.jpg

On their way home from dinner one nite, at a stop light - sparks in the dash and then fire - ran the light to the MacDees, brow-beat the manager into giving him an extinguisher. He got the fire out before the Smoke-Eaters got there. Their comment - "Oh, we show up and these cars are melted down to the wheels."

I'm looking hard at the ESS Aqueous Film Forming Foam Systems. DIY for the recharge, and seem to have a good rep. 3 zones/4 nozzles around $600.
ess-10.jpg

Not associated - just the first image I got - but have used them for other items too.

Cheers - Jim

check out the system they built here.... ingenuity and a fire extinguisher

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hne4XvaWDY[/ame]

this is not where its forever home is... I wouldn't be able to remove the battery.... but good for now
Zcwr676h.jpg
and painted the radio cover
​​​​​​​Xm0OIwhh.jpg

center block installed
still needs the switches installed
XQLqVduh.jpg
so onto my favorite thing... electrical.edited No wipers, I live in the PNW, it rains here.
hJhBfhyh.jpg
so this ground... needs to go to an actual ground.edited GM ran the ground through the alarm sensor - why people don't need their wipers or heater fan when the hood is up (or why that would be a feature is beyond my pay grad
ebVeG01h.jpg

So I got the wipers to work AND the heater fan works too... bonus.edited This after I stripped a new wire and managed to take the color off but left an inner liner in place - so the first ground.... didn't....love electrical.

took it to a car show today and found a problem
V6FyvOVh.jpg

not sure if there are thin wipers for this... but lord knows I'm going to look for them

The original frame/wiper is very low profile. Looks like 7/8 inch. Might be hard to find though.

45fc50f7719d41.jpg

I followed your suggestion... hope it works
onto other news
oil pressure has never been 'stellar' add to this the issue of that stupid owner who put an adjustable collar distributor in and there was a moment where the oil pressure was low... I've been avoiding looking - but today, I'm tired of the oil leaks... to remind, I changed the oil drain plug direction because it didn't work in the stock frame.... and it leaks.... fine, I'll pull the pan and cringe.
the leak
FD6wigb.jpg
the oil does not give me a warm fuzzy - but the motor has 100 miles on it so I expect some break-in wear....
PfRzuPg.jpg
but wait... is that 2.170?edited
Kn9DQMC.jpg
they're not perfect but they're not spun.... this set of rods seems 'loose'
WKoTdlb.jpg
but
other then I need to run a cleaner ship, they're not burnt or spun
mfiLwHy.jpg
pickup has a couple shreds but, again, I've seen worse
EUUnF24.jpg

so the solution.... put it back together... I'm already running race-weight oils (20/50).edited From the near beginning, I've decided that I'll probably rebuild this motor with far better parts soon (actually looking for a 4 bolt block but they are scarce at the moment).edited Since I'm going to spin this up, a lot, it needs better rods and I need more compression and real Stryker heads.... anyway, this will work 'fine' just got to fix the oil leaks.edited I have two, the bottom of the pan and also it looks like some is coming out the rear china wall.... which I'm going to fix with stacks.... but that's for later....edited

but let's be sure to clarify, I'm fully committed to the 427 - it's the right motor for this car and is blindingly fast.... no LS nonsense... that's for my Buick

A 600 hp 427 must be a blast. The car looks like it handles great in the vid you posted.

me and math, it seems that front journal is .040 undersized not .030

measures 2.175.... now to pull the rest of the rods to see where they are. I know I measured a bunch of the rods but not all.... lesson learned