Fuel hose

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
~5 years ago I bought some supposedly fuel rated wire mesh with cloth covering FI hose, been on the vette since,

Wife commenting on fuel smells in the garage a lot, I check all around, found nothing....never started the car, much less with hood up.....

so it seems the main hose running from the 3/8 steel fuel line at the frame, from the pump in back....and going to the fuel rails well the hose itself, not the clamps, but the HOSE was passing fuel through all that rubber and mesh, and it was dripping on the exhaust.....needless to say I about shit a brick, and killed the engine......ran the pump with engine dead, and sure enough, the damn hose itself was bad.....

so watch it guys, I bet it was not rated for ethanol.....

:surrender::eek::sos:

Use teflon hose. Common for the rubber to weep. Lots of people complaining about fuel smells. The hard lines weren't there for no reason!

The issue with teflon hose is the bend radius, it uses different fittings and you cannot get it in 10AN
I have a real hard time seeing why an OEM can get a fuel hose right and an aftermarket supplier cannot. Load of BS is you ask me.

Last edited:
I had bought the hose that failed from an industrial hose supplier near by, and specifically asked about it being safe with ethanol fuels, he said it was....well, RONG!!!!!! it had gone from a minor weeping to major drips in about 2 weeks...:surrender:

this new hose, makes me paranoid as hell too.....:surrender:

I had bought the hose that failed from an industrial hose supplier near by, and specifically asked about it being safe with ethanol fuels, he said it was....well, RONG!!!!!! it had gone from a minor weeping to major drips in about 2 weeks...:surrender:

this new hose, makes me paranoid as hell too.....:surrender:

Was it dripping ?

I had one of my new (!) aerequip hoses fail on me. It was exhibiting a sort of glue like substance on top which reappeared when wiping it off. I replaced it.

I also have a fuel smell, but no drip or anything and I have been keeping a close eye on things. I intend on getting me a tracerline leak detection system and throw it in the tank. Stays in there for a looooong time and you can use the UV light with classes to do regular inspection.

For the rest i suppose regular replacement is the only option besides the PTFE. 5 years is a long time. I keep hearing about 2 years tops.

Not one system is fully failproof however

As for the alchohol content, i'm not sure this is the main cause. The fuel here has 5% obligatory blended into it. But a couple of insurance cases with petroleum manufacturers gave me some insight in what was being blended into the fuels. You wouldn't believe it. I'm not sure that even PTFE would resist that sort of stuff in the long term.

Last edited:
And keep fuel lines as far away as possible from the exhaust. Especially high pressure fuel lines. It's one of the reasons why I didn't want a high pressure line all the way from the back to the front and got stuck with that surge tank up front. Which is a whole other ballgame as this has problems to it as well.

And keep fuel lines as far away as possible from the exhaust. Especially high pressure fuel lines. It's one of the reasons why I didn't want a high pressure line all the way from the back to the front and got stuck with that surge tank up front. Which is a whole other ballgame as this has problems to it as well.

I was leaning over the left fender looking at an idle issue, and happened to glance over at the fuel line which had about 3 drops hanging under it, and a few dripped on the headers and #6&8 plugs....:eek::surrender:

I used the old OEM fuel lines the car came with, I bet they are OEM to the car...so 42 years old, but they not rusted, and don't leak, the pump is in rear, I have a 'surge tank' under and forward of the main tank, where the spare tire used to be.....to keep engine from stumbling/dieing when cornering with LO main tank, plus it's 5 gallons extra....so to get from the steel line on the frame, under the HVAC blower, to the fuel line input of the LT1 induction, only way is with 'rubber' hose......and good full wrap clamps rated for FI use....I double up on the clamps when possible, like over the steel lines....

I going to hit the net to see IF I can find any PTFE lined hose here locally.....might try a speed shop.....parts houses have nothing....:surrender: