switching to FI

kwplot34

Heart Attack
I am going to put FI on my 327 mild build maybe 350hp, looking to put one of the TBI set ups on it. Holley, Edelbrock, MSD, Fast EFI all have one. Anybody have any experience with these? pros, cons? looking at the Fast set up.

I am going to put FI on my 327 mild build maybe 350hp, looking to put one of the TBI set ups on it. Holley, Edelbrock, MSD, Fast EFI all have one. Anybody have any experience with these? pros, cons? looking at the Fast set up.
Ask SuperBuickGuy if he still has his FI setup for sale.
It was a heck of a deal.

I was much more impressed with my silly old TPI setup on the old OEM L48 engine....Muncie, 336 rear, ~4000 rpm at 80 mph, got a consistent 24 mpg up/down I 95 back in '97 today with all that ethanol, maybe not so much.....

TBI always impressed me as a 1/2 step, yeh, closed loop, but just flooding the intake same as a carb....

some funny stories about me putting DPFI on an old Pontiac 455 some 23? years ago....

:shocking:

thanks denpo, sent him a message in the sale thread.
You're welcome mate.
At a time I considered buying it, since then I discovered I could get LS like motor for 400$ at the local scrapyard....

:eek: Price and availability back in 97 it was a tough find....my son got a LS engine for a '57 Chebby pickup not so long ago,....500 bux complete....

ME just an old '89 truck block ...Call it a ZZ4 engine....for simplicity....

A friend had bought the Holley FI system about 3 years ago and recently tried to install it on his GTO 455. After several tries to get it to work and many E-mails to Holley he finally gave up and put a carb on the motor.:surrender:

A friend had bought the Holley FI system about 3 years ago and recently tried to install it on his GTO 455. After several tries to get it to work and many E-mails to Holley he finally gave up and put a carb on the motor.:surrender:

Dean, you gotta know I"m a junkyard hotrodder for some decades now, and an olde tyme ET from the vacuum tube daze yet....

it's a long story I may well have posted here, but I remember typing it all out long ago.....don't remember which site, or thread....

So for a short form...'79 Caddy 425 junkyard pull of all the electronics/injectors...rewire my 462 '70 Lemans Sport Convertible for the Direct Port Injection....got the induction welded up to mount injectors, and 1000 CFM T-body...on a dual plane mani, making the injectors very irregular up top....so did my own fuel distribution mani, and run lines as necessary ran like a charm with the Caddy computer and fiddling with the engine temp sensor a tad to allow for more cubic inches....ran like a charm....used to pull a ~8000 lbs rig up over mountain roads at ~10% grade on a 4 mile pull, hit it at 80 mph, by top of mountain doing 100 mph, top down and cruising.....me/g-friend/2 kids/ 20' sailboat.....full of gear....

it got published as 'Injected Madness' in the Feb '95 High Perf Pontiac mag.....some untruths in the print, but nothing super major.....
the car was nothing but a BLAST to drive.....:cool:

Gene, I started this thread to discuss the NEW Fuel injection systems that are out there now because i plan on buying one and am looking for info on these. If you want to continually talk about your old system, your scavenging through junk yards and how you are an old ET from vacuum days. Start your own thread and talk about it there PLEASE.

Dean did he happen to say what the problem was? over at the other site several guys are using the Holley set up with no problems. I am leaning towards FAST EFI set up myself.

Dean did he happen to say what the problem was? over at the other site several guys are using the Holley set up with no problems. I am leaning towards FAST EFI set up myself.

Sorry as he gave up trying, I guess he really did not sort out the problems getting it to run correct. All I can say is there are too many wires in the system.If I were to go this route I would probably go with the Fast system, it looks the easiest to sort out.
Good luck in what ever you go with.:beer:

Kevin, the Holley Commander 950 is an older system, one of the first MPFI systems to come out. While there should have been no reason for failure, it can be a challenge to setup and tune. The newer Holley EFI system is far superior and much easier to install and tune. From personal experience, it is much better than the competition. I am using it on my new aluminum Dart 540 build and am very pleased with all aspects including support. Support has often been the knock on FAST. If you want, I can probably get you a deal on one though my friend and owner of Competition Marine Center (CMC) up in Moscow Mills Mo. They are a Certified Dealer / Installer of Holley EFI. Let us know here on the forum of your progress which ever direction you choose.

Bullshark

Kevin, the Holley Commander 950 is an older system, one of the first MPFI systems to come out. While there should have been no reason for failure, it can be a challenge to setup and tune. The newer Holley EFI system is far superior and much easier to install and tune. From personal experience, it is much better than the competition. I am using it on my new aluminum Dart 540 build and am very pleased with all aspects including support. Support has often been the knock on FAST. If you want, I can probably get you a deal on one though my friend and owner of Competition Marine Center (CMC) up in Moscow Mills Mo. They are a Certified Dealer / Installer of Holley EFI. Let us know here on the forum of your progress which ever direction you choose.

Bullshark

Thanks Bull shark, when i get ready to buy one i will get back with you. I will start a thread on the install when i do this.

FiTech is coming out with a new TBI fi unit for $995 4 injector complete system and $1495 for an 8 injector system on March 1st. It has a few nice features that FAST doesn't have. Not many wires to connect as well. I have emailed them asking if all parts are made in America and how big the fuel command centre is. They are going right at FAST, MSD, Edelbrock and Holley TBI systems. A great price point, will wait on reviews.
Of course our Cdn $ has tanked. :crap:
http://go-n2o.com

Last edited: