package it up to roll it out.... radiator
irha4gf.jpg
yeah, doesn't fit.... ah well - it's not far off

side shot
zGZ2RK4.jpg

81zmJKR.jpg

time to move it out of the way for a couple weeks
​​​​​​​

Forgive me for the off-topic - but I figured some might enjoy this.... I built a trailer last summer with the idea that I'd put a hydraulic ram on it (not lift, just prevent banging when it came down).... then I went to SEMA and Firestone was there. I talked to an engineer and asked - with the comment be nice because I sometimes have silly ideas. I told him about this and he was really enthused.... granted, I already had the bags -- but at least it was like verification pre-flight.
soooooo... cleaning up projects that I have the parts for..... like the airbag tilt
lP22uTh.jpg
first, this is the angleedited
kDNQ1dI.jpg
S9quigr.jpg

well shoot, it's almost like I planned this (I didn't, actually, but I'll take lucky over good every time)
9TUQtTd.jpg

I'm going to make 36" ramps.... which I'd have had the material for except I built the water tray for my plasma.... well, I guess that balances lucky
10aiBYt.jpg

which, if I was photocompetent would clearly show a 8* angle rather then the 13*
DjR9OQN.jpg
I know in the 4x4 world that's a 'who cares' and in that world you'd be right.... but I live in many worlds including one that is going to be hauling a Renault
so there we go.edited verbal diarrheaedited
ZvD5a3D.jpg

compressed
ZrqPN4K.jpg

one bolt through the top, two through the bottom.... 6000# bags
wfrFikw.jpg
and it works.edited lifts, lowers - I think what I'll like the most is it can work as an anti-bang device... pull the valve stem when I'm wheeling and away we go

there it is, airbagged up
aQNMwQT.jpg

now to install the air compressors on my Colorado and/or Suburban (there's already one on the FJ40)

Is good to be off topic some time !
I have an alloy trailer custom fabricated who ended up in a cluster fuck :suicide:, anyway long story short I am using a hydraulic high lift jack to tilt the bed. But now you get me thinking !!!
I wonder if those bags could tilt the bed with a car on it ? This would save me some grunting !!
Thanks for the pictures.

And you said Renault ??

Looks nice. What size is it?

16' long, 8' wide

Is good to be off topic some time !
I have an alloy trailer custom fabricated who ended up in a cluster fuck :suicide:, anyway long story short I am using a hydraulic high lift jack to tilt the bed. But now you get me thinking !!!
I wonder if those bags could tilt the bed with a car on it ? This would save me some grunting !!
Thanks for the pictures.

And you said Renault ??

most semi-trucks are fully suspended on air - so figure 100,000 lbs give or take a twinkie. The bags under this are 6000 lb each so 12,000 lbs of lifting force.
the latest-thing in car trailers is full bag suspension so it lays the deck on the ground - to be honest, I didn't want a perishable spring system. That said, bags have come a long ways in the last 30 years and they are a good option for a lot of things. I'd never seen one tilt but a comment got me thinking, so I bought bags - then at SEMA I talked to the Firestone rep... he was really encouraging.
in this case I'd love to say I planned it perfectly, but I didn't - that said it worked out perfect - where the cross beams where was the perfect spot to put a bag that lifts 11" there is no reason I can't lift any load that is within the its gross weight (8,000 lbs). You only lift about 1/3 the weight of the car when you tilt.... so there it is

if you do bags, there's a bunch of places where they fully describe how bags are built and how to size them for your application. I needed a 4" compressed, 11" extended that could resist some side load.... thus what I bought, the double convoluted gives a good compression with the load rating I needed. As I mentioned before, they make bags that can suspend a lot more and have longer lift.... I suspect there will be a lot of people who take this idea and run with it. I've seen air lift jacks that essentially have two steel tubes to keep the bag from rolling.... but when compared to hydraulic, it really doesn't compare.... it's the same speed lifting as hydraulic.

It is a Renault Alpina - that he decided not to buy.... ah well, I needed to get these bags off my project shelf

Last edited:
It is a Renault Alpina - that he decided not to buy.... ah well, I needed to get these bags off my project shelf

I guess if you're worried about going off thread - you could post a pic of the Alpina on the trailer! :D

Nice Trailer - and Mod!

Cheers - Jim

he decided not to buy it (and continue focusing on his 77 nut n bolt)

May have been a SMART move.

I'm working Renault engines/parts/heads for the SR! Most parts are from Lithuania/Poland/etc. Cheap (usually) but shipping is a Killer!

Cheers - Jim

May have been a SMART move.

I'm working Renault engines/parts/heads for the SR! Most parts are from Lithuania/Poland/etc. Cheap (usually) but shipping is a Killer!

Cheers - Jim

I didn't know how to nicely say that those cars have issues (I refuse to be that guy who's always negative about everything that isn't my choice, if you buy it - no matter how 'bad' it may be, I'm the one people call to come help them fix it...) - but his sister flips cars in France, so I asked him "so, is that a better price then your sister could get in France".... I figured he'd talk it out with his sister and she'd be the bad guy ....

move the front suspension back 3/4" or move the flare....
AwuRlmq.jpg

I'm really leaning towards moving the flare and then giving it more flare along with a slightly different shape.... cut right there between the rear of the wheel and the gills.

time to remove the body bolts
uHkgDzo.jpg
mmmm... good sawblades
BRcr4wP.jpg
a good example.... the first two came out just fine (motor end), second took a bit of lube....edited
O2S08ga.jpg
the last, a neanderthaledited
aUYRMfZ.jpg

this is more for me - but I'm moving everything back 3/4" so knowing where the steering was will be useful when I build new motor mounts
MgDDqvN.jpg

WPtPpzR.jpg
P5s7NNw.jpg
d9sza5e.jpg
xTrjxIG.jpg

I bought the coating for the frame.... so once it's squared, plated, shortened, made pretty... a coat of paint and it'll be good for a long, long time
​​​​​​​QqitJ62.jpg

a mistake... and what will stop me from completely getting the body off
TnIkRkK.jpg

up we go, hmm, nose low
gSOeMFQ.jpg

once I removed the bumper brackets, and the clutch fork... up
1SxXZ9L.jpg

and stopped here
CY9aQT7.jpg

did you guess the problem?edited the 68-73 rear curls under the rear valance .... had I put those jackstands on dollies - I could have moved the frame forward then completed the lift-off.... and my jack said "oh hell no" so tomorrow get a new jack then finish this.
​​​​​​​

So I did do jack today... twice
new hotness
C0VKIKD.jpg
old brokenness
dU8vhEJ.jpg
wait.... which one is broken?
6zkVV2o.jpg
I was all ready to proclaim how my Costco jack outlasted 2 HF jacks.... which, old brokenness did... problem was that was a factory sealed new one that was broken when they put it in the box.... ah well, just 2 hours I'll never get back
putting the new, new one to work
NfKBQw3.jpg
and the divorce is final
3jlzQlz.jpg

JK6866h.jpg

finally get to use this cart
aEMzYc7.jpg
8q92VmI.jpg
this didn't last long, but it fits so I can move stuff around if needed
GxhxWtK.jpg

r3d3GgM.jpg

stiff stripped off..... more to come
4ti9ve3.jpg
​​​​​​​

time to use my frame floor
9KKZBjs.jpg
oh yes, and tape measures
YrTieZu.jpg
it really wasn't that far off (within GM manufacturing tolerances for the day).... but I can do much better, so I will
xHSJmzk.jpg

the challenge, of course, is getting it square to the floor (after verifying squareness of the frame)
LzRjRED.jpg
lots of this action
9afM5qw.jpg
It's close, I'll let it settle over night then do the front.edited The back is 1/16" off square, so I'll fix that as well... but that is for later this week

time to make this real - of course, that means cutting it apart and making it look pretty.
C0A2Gp8.jpg
the first step is to weld plates on the rearmost channels to hold things in place
EAgx5fg.jpg
C0A2Gp8.jpg

measuring process
zC733ij.jpg

and it's cut apart.....
wggJFWC.jpg

1O24VXI.jpg

Oh look, Jeep on a trailer.... what keeps sbg from PF2? yeah, a blasted Heep.
etrMl6U.jpg

in other news, the Colorado hauls the Jeep even better then the Hummer did.

yet I still did get to fun stuff
izLuLQG.jpg
AowGxL4.jpg

even had a minute to hit the frame with a wire wheel in prep for welding the frame.edited I think I'm going to weld it with the motor in place then pull the motor, flip the frame then weld and brace the rest....
dAmTZww.jpg

time to start welding.... motor is in and it's resting level and on its suspension points.... and the frame wasn't flat, so I'll weld it flat in this processedited
HJTosFe.jpg
look at the 'weld' to the left of the mig weld.... this is why welding the frame is so importantedited
dhbRrgv.jpg

this hole gets filled too
LYibZYQ.jpg

and the fun of straightening the usually bent rear brace
wne1j94.jpg

​​​​​​​

weld frame to make square..... and beat on frame....edited
kWXpdGK.jpg

along with hanging weights, I did some flame wrench straightening .... frame is dead nuts square, but it has a slight rack to it (thus the weights)
dEgXp4J.jpg

someone told me once that it wasn't possible to shim the side pipes up with washers..... to that person, don't look
IuQYNOO.jpg

the problem, it turns out, I'm fixing anyway with a new driver's side motor mount (so it clears the steering shaft
TiRooxB.jpg

time to start welding plates on
XtYOjVz.jpg

other side
Cx6HZZh.jpg

​​​​​​​

how to eat an elephant
Cx6HZZhs.jpg
time to fill holes
m1BV7lRh.jpg
U77UUUEh.jpg
make squares
w7KlvfDh.jpg
FjBYiLnh.jpg
weld into place
OPg09coh.jpg
s3dce5sh.jpg
veQwf9oh.jpg
08DUWwrh.jpg
this brace isn't totally needed but it will keep the frame solid when I drop the cradle
2fSK7dvh.jpg
finally weld the upper shock mount
sN9WtJKh.jpg

more soon. I need to finish up, the more I look at this frame the worse it is.... passenger rail actually bows up.... for those curious, the datum line is the bar that runs behind the seats.edited it's square and squares everything I put on.. so where the metal goes to reach that point (as long as it doesn't interfere with the body) is fine.