1958 MGA Coupe

First car I ever owned & fell in love with was a little red MG TD. I was 4 years old and it was about 6" long, made of cast metal. I played with it for years, until the wheels literally fell off. I have no idea what became of it, but I still miss it. It was a very great influence in my always & never ending relationship with things that go.

funny you mention that, mine was a remote control jag xke coupe with a control box that was atached with wires to the car....circa 1965

Wow! I had one of those too! When I was about 10. Red, about 18" long, with a battery/controller box about 5" square. Ran the wheels off of that also. GI Joe totaled it while on leave.....

wow , another red one ! Gotta love those handles on the dash board

:friends:Nice find

thanks and yeah it really does catch your imagination from many different perspectives and it totally smells like a british car.....gas and oil. i think i have two keepers

well Tom of TeamEvil fame has come through for me and I now have a fascia trim piece for my rear parcel shelf. this is the last piece interior trim i needed. thanks Tom

20161121_221304_zpsh6zlfmle.jpg

and i still have some ooomff left in the old guy, sistering up some new wood on the old joists that had the concrete set tile floor....in the kids house taking away from MG time.....oh well

IMG_0453_zpsyycx1fe1.jpg

love those nailers - I keep trying to convince myself that I'd actually use one enough to make it worth it.... so far no, but I've found the older I get, the more easy it is to come up with excuses :)

you know nailing with hammers is for young guys......

i lost feeling in my arm for several months from nailing about 25yrs ago......so now i just use power tools for that.

i like the Paslode that one has to be 15 yrs old. my other nailers are pneumatic.

well lets finish the interior took care of some delamination on the parcel shelf front fascia, goal this week is to wrap it in vinyl and screw it in place

20161127_200915_zps2gdnvxbf.jpg

the TD is a pretty cool car for sure and it smells like a british car.....gas and oil.

for the last 4 years my garage has not smelled like that with the MGA in it.

I have been looking for a gas leak on the TD but there are none to find. I will have to try sealing the gas tank while its in the garage and see if that does anything.

20161214_200615_zpsvjxlivfh.jpg

20161214_213857_zpsgykj3aov.jpg

20161214_215651_zpsbi1eoad6.jpg

pretty icey here today....so lets clean up the window surrounds and get them into place this weekend.

DSC02094_zpscxw3yjls.jpg

DSC02095_zpsno6ite2f.jpg

DSC02099_zpswzhzycya.jpg

DSC02100_zpsuhu6apwm.jpg

and outside in the iciness with paint stripper on it

DSC02102_zps3saf3qme.jpg

Last edited:
i just went to the auto store and used up a gift card on some chrome and metal cleaning polishes. lets start with this stuff

DSC02106_zpsg4xxiy3v.jpg

DSC02107_zpss7ocg9az.jpg

DSC02108_zpswoucvlj4.jpg

DSC02109_zps2dk5jrww.jpg

not such a bad start for about 90 minutes of work
DSC02110_zpsbotwtayc.jpg

Last edited:
the TD is a pretty cool car for sure and it smells like a british car.....gas and oil.

I have been looking for a gas leak on the TD but there are none to find. I will have to try sealing the gas tank while its in the garage and see if that does anything.

Gas cap or carburetor float bowl vent?

Gas cap or carburetor float bowl vent?

the fuel sender unit as a cap on it that was not tight and was leaking, i cleaned it determined it was the culprit and siphoned the gas and removed the cap cleaned and put some blue RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket and reassembled it....i have been adding a gallon per night and it has not started to leak so i think i fixed it....

my first thought was the gas cap venting was too big but then i found the weeping sender unit

thanks and you guys embarassed me into action

some more polishing and a test fit

DSC02239_zpstpibhnjb.jpg

DSC02240_zpsh4ulpbsi.jpg

DSC02241_zpsrbhmfzbv.jpg
DSC02242_zpsnxlkoht6.jpg

and next is polishing like 50 SS rivets...

I did some neat stuff with the modifying the clutch lever and making the clutch rod adjustable.

Needle bearing design is by Declan Burns, I am just the fabricator the other mod is the Mike Oconnor mod

as you can see my clutch sump lever broke when i went to center punch a starter hole for the modification of the clutch sump lever. I have been conversing with Declan Burns about his rose bud clutch linkage set up and he mentioned about adding needle roller bearings in place of the bushing. well one thing lead to another and declan posted pictures of his modified lever with the parts information and instructions on how to do and here we are......

The reason the sump clutch lever broke to begin with is because the holes are off center and it pushed the spring hole into the forked area....you can see the discoloration meaning it was broken for a long time, this would have stranded me sometime in the near future....
DSC02171_zpsofowwjie.jpg

Not the same mistake twice
DSC02172_zpszeoj4jrs.jpg

Drill press in action
DSC02173_zpsmbbvzp2o.jpg
DSC02174_zpsnbowausl.jpg
The deisgn
DSC02175_zpswm0rsud1.jpg
Pop out bushing
DSC02176_zps7mbtgifr.jpg

Practice with old one firstDSC02177_zpsttub28tf.jpg

Hole for grease fitting
DSC02180_zps5h3yoysj.jpg
DSC02183_zpsooqcmmue.jpg

DSC02189_zpsykjod8qr.jpg
Too long
DSC02191_zpsejah47kr.jpg

Lets save the face of the vise, I used a grinder with a cut off wheel

DSC02192_zps8pb8qkfp.jpg
Much betterDSC02201_zpseu36setl.jpg

And enlarge the opening a very little and in they go
DSC02203_zpsovtzjfph.jpg

also made my clutch rod adjustable

DSC02123_zpsmtwxbnet.jpg

DSC02124_zpseevws9ki.jpg

DSC02125_zpsjjkfnyhp.jpg

I went out and looked at the motion of the lever arm its really close to being equi distant travel.....its hard to eyeball it when the front is off the ground so i can crawl under it. Those parallel lines are drawn from either side of the bushing lever shaft using a square on the sump pan ribs...

DSC02207_zpsperte2y7.jpg

DSC02208_zpsdzuxcsgy.jpg

DSC02213_zpsdorzgbkv.jpg

DSC02216_zpsksyrhgpn.jpg

the test drive is complete and the terrible biting in first gear is gone and the car has a usable gear......well at least it is somewhat manageable....much better then before.

Last edited:
well it happened....the garage is absent all the big wood working tools tehy went to my oldest son, just small stuff left and it has been rearranged to take advantage of some new gained space....., I spent a bunch of time throwing stuff out, and then the mood hit me, time to work on the car again,....some body needed pictures of my door locks, let me go through some emails or send me what you need photographed, and the extra set of window chrome will be available when i am done if some needs it.

DSC02296_zps6rmgokag.jpg

DSC02297_zpscs8inumb.jpg

DSC02298_zpsjulqrqhr.jpg