Advice on Rear Spring

easyasone2three

Car is a little sloppy in the rear, bouncy and bottoms out pretty easy. It is a 72 BB with 7 leaf steel spring now. I was talking with Bird and Richard (Cherry) and they are pretty happy with their composite monosprings. I don't race, just cruise and I think the ride in the rear could be better than I have now.

I started looking at VB &P, what else should Ilook at?

VB&P - For big block car applications, we recommend 360-lb/in or 420 –lb/in springs.

ID: 42363
Name: 360# Spring Kit Poly, 1963/77 Vette Price: $329.99

ID: 42360
Name: 360# Spring Kit Rubber, 1963/77 Vette Price: $329.99

Sounds like a shock issue. What kind of shocks do you have? bumpy means the spring is not controlled properly, too little rebound dampening. If you bump the suspension and it oscilaltes a few times the shocks are shot, or they're too weak for the spring you have.

Having said that, a composite spring is always a nice addition, aspecially the dual mounts. They have many advantages over the single mount (reason why up to C6 GM still uses a dual mount spring front and rear)

Van Steel sells hypercoil springs, they are a sort of copy of the original 80-82 springs with the cambered and tapered design.

A to B comparo...back to A just for grins....instantly with ONE trip went back to B (VBP plastic spring) 360 in the rear....the KYB shocks eventually replace with Bilsteins...to great improvement...

demo'd on roads and undulating bridges all around town...

I just put on some new Bilstien HD's a couple of months ago and couldn't really tell any difference in the ride. The old shocks were pretty new.

The Van Steel springs are a little less expensive.

Do we get a "VETTEMOD" discount from the lady at VB&P? Maybe I'll call her tomorrow and see.

Sounds like a shock issue. What kind of shocks do you have? bumpy means the spring is not controlled properly, too little rebound dampening. If you bump the suspension and it oscilaltes a few times the shocks are shot, or they're too weak for the spring you have.

Having said that, a composite spring is always a nice addition, aspecially the dual mounts. They have many advantages over the single mount (reason why up to C6 GM still uses a dual mount spring front and rear)

Van Steel sells hypercoil springs, they are a sort of copy of the original 80-82 springs with the cambered and tapered design.

Johns shocks are new, but the spring is very tired. What do you suggest as an OEM type replacement in a single mount. He prefers to keep his car mods to easily reversable mods, while retaining all #s matching parts in storage. It is quite the "survivor."

I bought a new 7-leaf steel spring from Muskegon (spelling) on Ebay - $120 shipped. Not a huge difference but a lil stiffer than the 9-leaf that I replaced.

I broke my 9 leaf. Went to HD 7 leaf. The shocks were not up to the task. I was told KYBs would handle the 7 leaf. WRONG! KYBs were a joke!

Jackster sold me some Bilstien Sport Shocks. Now, it handles like never before. Ride is is firm, not overly stiff. Sport Shocks were the best single change I ever made to the suspension.:D

I've got the F-41 springs in the front and rear- new Bilstien Sport shocks and new poly bushings everywhere. Rides like a truck, but is a blast in the twisties. Seems to stick fairly well. It'll wind your Timex watch tight enough it'll quit.

I've got the F-41 springs in the front and rear- new Bilstien Sport shocks and new poly bushings everywhere. Rides like a truck, but is a blast in the twisties. Seems to stick fairly well. It'll wind your Timex watch tight enough it'll quit.

Yea, you did look good going around the twisties. :D Too bad we couldn't have tested the limits of both vehicles. It would have been fun trying to catch you and dodge rocks at the same time.:yahoo:

I don't know if you saw this or not, when I was behind you, you got a little ahead, so I got on it a little and going aound a blind corner (left hand) I cut the line a little close (actually over to the other side some). In the other lane comes a C5 doing the same thing--scared the shit out of Jiggles.
smiley-yikes.gif

Hey,

Wish I had gotten the 360 lb,, but live and learn. mine now stays stuck to the ground,but then one has not the option to test unless you ride with another who has the 360. I;m happy can't wait to put on the bilstiens at some point, running KYB,, just a little stiff. My 2 dollars. 2 cents was yesterday!

I'm going to order VB&P #360 tomorrow. Thanks to everyone, I'll let everyone know how it works out and how the ride is.

I'm going to replace the body mounts next.

You are going to like the new ride, when you get the specially valved shocks made for the composite spring, you will love it even more.:thumbs:

Hey SmokeyVette. I thought that I had been everywhere in Texas but I never heard of Leveldirt. I Googled Leveldirt and found your MySpace page, pretty cool! I bet some others would like to see some of the Corvette stuff you have there.

Thanks!

That's what me and a few of my friends call Levelland since it's mostly...uh...dirt.

I'm on the map, Levelland TX just West of Lubbock TX about 30 miles.:thumbs:

What are the proper billsteins to run with the mono, KYB seems to be a real stiff shock,, of course I had a steel spring and oem shocks before,, steel was worn out! so I don't know what the ride difference is??? Like a powder puff on my a@@?????? I still have brain damage from the steel spring ride!!!!!

What are the proper billsteins to run with the mono, KYB seems to be a real stiff shock,, of course I had a steel spring and oem shocks before,, steel was worn out! so I don't know what the ride difference is??? Like a powder puff on my a@@?????? I still have brain damage from the steel spring ride!!!!!

This is what I use, I just couldn't resist the price and believe it or not, they are actually pretty damn good!

http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=821

Would 4) 3/8" holes in the crossmember be too irreversible a change from stock? If not, then go with a dual mount spring--you can adjust the spring rate in 4 increments from around 330# to 420# or so. I keep jacking mine up higher & higher as the performance improves.
If you must use a single mount, I would go no lighter than 360#, and even at that you'll probably bottom out the pipes on railroad tracks at 30 MPH with someone like Bird as passenger....Been there, done that.

John

Would 4) 3/8" holes in the crossmember be too irreversible a change from stock? If not, then go with a dual mount spring--you can adjust the spring rate in 4 increments from around 330# to 420# or so. I keep jacking mine up higher & higher as the performance improves.
If you must use a single mount, I would go no lighter than 360#, and even at that you'll probably bottom out the pipes on railroad tracks at 30 MPH with someone like Bird as passenger....Been there, done that.

John

No, I'd do that. You think the adjustable dual mount is that much better?

No, I'd do that. You think the adjustable dual mount is that much better?

Well I have nothing to compare it to except my old worn out 100,000 mile suspension with 9-leaf steel spring. But I sure do like it, and it's only a half hour job to change the spring rate. And the single leaf 'glas spring has such a smoother action to it that while it's stiffer rated than the steel leaf, it seems to glide better over the road. It's not sticking to itself like the leaves in a steel spring do.
You have to pull the crossmember, which means drop the diff, to install it so it will inevitably lead to an attack of while-I'm-at-it-itis. :stirpot:
But yeah I highly recommend it.

John