Home Improvement

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
U mentioned in another thread about home projects getting in your way....

I used to be in the business, since '85-86 anyway.....

I dun it AWL, foundation through roof, mainly kitchens and baths....

So curious what you doing, maybe a few pix, if interesting.....

Lots done already (over the last 20 years). Mostly inside the house.

For the last few years it has been outside. Built a potting shed (below) for my wife last year and cut in a bunch of garden areas in the yard. Working on pouring a slab for a carport now.

Attachments

• Shed_Oct15.jpg
    Shed_Oct15.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 13
Nice, I put a wood deck out front, just under the large front window, and house faces directly west in FLORIDA, :evil::censored: so over time, she wanted to put plants/garden/flowers out there, so a roof of sorts was added for rain/sun protection, then screens added to cut down the sunlight a bit more.....thing that has me going is we have two Hibiscus flowers I got her, and damn if some stupid animal didn't come along last week and eat EVERY bud/flower off them....:crylol::hissyfit: so sprayed with deer/animal repellent.....:gurney:

used to have a laundry deck just off the old kitchen area, to the garage, so I moved the water heater out to the adjacent existing shed, flipped the washer/dryer 90 degrees to the outside wall, and moved the bearing utility wall some 6' to the gasoline ledge of the garage, part of the kitchen remodel...most all homes in Florida are on a slab, as the whole state is nothing but a sand bar....so hammered the floor, put the range into an island with bar top behind range, cut top off the range, lowering it to the 42" and moved the oven clock to the back splash on the left of the range....put in a ~8' bar top and 8' of cabinets/range, made my own range hood for 300 bux total, thanks to a welder buddy, island range hoods being 1300 bux +.....I tooled up in the 2 car garage and made the kitchen cabinets, she bought the doors/drawer fronts for only a grand the following spring, I made the formica counter tops and we tiled the back splash ...built a closet for the washer dryer, double door....shelves, and a nice size cabinet/pantry inside....so we don't have to sweat it out doing laundry....I even vented the hutch so the dryer sucks outside air and of course vents outside too.....door to garage is with a window and a spring to close the door.....got a free all glass room/Atrium from a tear out, and free sliding doors double thermal glass, and redid all the single pain aluminum windows with double Lo E glass vinyl and only paid a GRAND, for all the windows....and with a room addition, the house has gone from 1200' to 1600' under HVAC, wife's son is in AC work so set us up GOOD, high eff unit electric was only ~140 bux last month.....

and yes similar time frame....did all that work over the last 20 years, wife and I set down and planned out on a graph paper, what she wanted for a kitchen, she cooks facing the now open kitchen plan to the house and dining area.....

Even found a butchered up Honduran Mahogany front door on the street to be trashed, in the van it went, bought some stick of matching wood, and fixed that door, installed it many years ago, replacing that POS from the original builder in '72......

Like my vette, a '72, this house was built in '72, sold in '73.....and I just turned 73, so I am now finally older than my car...and house.....

:gurney:

Last edited:

For the last few years it has been outside. Built a potting shed (below) for my wife last year and cut in a bunch of garden areas in the yard. Working on pouring a slab for a carport now.

That potting shed looks damn nice! Carpentry/woodworking is a skill I never got the hang of.

That potting shed looks damn nice! Carpentry/woodworking is a skill I never got the hang of.

Kind of relaxing, really, I picked it up from my Father, who used to be a carpenter, building houses...and of course maintained the house when I was little....Wife had a small job to build 14 drawers for a little ~75 y/o lady who bought a house to be near her daughter....and all the kitchen cabinets did not have drawers down lo, inside the doors, neither did the pantry...so I chopped and hacked and tacked and screwed, and sanded and finished 14 drawers of various sizes, and stepson went out to install yesterday, customer all grins and happy....for ME, something to do, other than work on the vette, or house, for that matter.....:goodevil:

That was my first (an last) building project. When the city inspector looked at it he said "you must be some kind of engineer".

I was able to move a lot of stuff from the garage to the shed. So, that made it easier to work on my car.

That was my first (an last) building project. When the city inspector looked at it he said "you must be some kind of engineer".

I was able to move a lot of stuff from the garage to the shed. So, that made it easier to work on my car.

Kinda amused at the inspector's comment. :amused:

Kinda amused at the inspector's comment. :amused:

My ex father in law was a EE with AIL on lonk islant and so we both knew we were obsessive/compulsive.....he more obsessive, me more compulsive....:shocking::clap:

Lots of work in Houston and FL after storms will take a very long time.Sad.

Attachments

• 21463196_10213718466706495_8647980856640218433_n.jpg
    21463196_10213718466706495_8647980856640218433_n.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3