Brake calipers - O ring install

I'm already following it!! Mike's kit is here next week. Swapped red paint for red powder coat (ral 3001) and will sand/polish the two caliper halves where they meet with some 600 grit on a flat marble surface.

Great write up I have to do mine soon so I will refer back often, I have one question. Is it ok to blast the caliper halves to clean them?

Steve

Just blast them with the pistons and seals installed, never had a problem with that. When you pull it all apart you can clean out all the sand with compressed air and check againafter cleaning the caliper halves (blow out the fluid passages). The rough finish on the piston won't hurt, the seal will be replaced anyway.

Duct tape in the bore and the old dust seal is good enough to protect it during sandblasting - I sprayed brake cleaner thru all holes and blew air thru there to make sure it's all clean after blasting .... unfortunately most if not all of these old calipers need to be blasted, brake cleaner and wire brush just doesn't get it clean....

Duct tape in the bore and the old dust seal is good enough to protect it during sandblasting - I sprayed brake cleaner thru all holes and blew air thru there to make sure it's all clean after blasting .... unfortunately most if not all of these old calipers need to be blasted, brake cleaner and wire brush just doesn't get it clean....

Yeh, but one quick drive on this sandbar, and i'ts full of sand again....

couple trips up/down I 95 and they are sandblasted....

:harhar:

Can I add a remark?

When placing the pistons with the o-ring and seals lube them with the braking liquid (DOT X).

And a question:
Do you place the springs back?

Yes, I used brake fluid to lube the rubber - makes it a lot easier to push the pistons in the bore.

I did not use the springs. The O-rings are so much tighter that the spring would most likely not push the pistons anyways.

It's been a few months, how many miles did you drive with the "new" brakes and are they performing to your satisfaction?

It's been a few months, how many miles did you drive with the "new" brakes and are they performing to your satisfaction?

I've put approximately 500 miles on the car since I did the brakes....my brakes have never been this good, it's definitely worth the money ($140 shipped)... I have only done the front so far, the rear still needs to be done. I am lazy and it's too hot to do anything right now.... I'm sure the Wilwood calipers are better but they also cost a lot more, the O-rings and semi metallic pads are a inexpensive mod that can be done at home, no "special tools" required other than a pipe or bearing race driver to drive the dust seals in.... way better than what I had before (AutoZone calipers with lip seals).