Old Project Revitalized - 56 Track Car

What backspacing is that? Im hoping I can get a similar amount of "lip" on my front wheels but an 18x12 with ~9.5" backspacing doesnt sound promising

Great wheel choice BTW!

What backspacing is that? Im hoping I can get a similar amount of "lip" on my front wheels but an 18x12 with ~9.5" backspacing doesnt sound promising

Great wheel choice BTW!

The fronts are 8.5 inch backspace which gives me a .375 inch scrub radius. I wanted to keep just a little positive scrub to account for tire deflection under heavy side load. The rears are 5.75 inch backspace to fit the Detroit Speed Decalink rear suspension.

Pappy

Here are the Tilton 900-series pedals that I just received. They have master cylinders that pivot at the front to keep the push rod in perfect alignment.

Pappy

56 Corvette Tilton Pedals.jpg56 Corvette Tilton Pedals.jpg

Pappy -

Good to see you on this one (again?) I had to do some track damage repairs on the SR this past week, and was reminded; How satisfying Body Work is/can be.

Post Michael (hurricane) and a race at Sebring - I think I'll get back on "Elvira" too. I've been inspired by your lead. Just took 2 years to get the axles done!

Your work is looking good! "Two's In!"

Cheers Jim

It will be interesting to see what it weighs, a C1 race car with an alum block BB chev. :thumbs:

Decided it was time to get on with installing the Detroit Speed Decalink rear suspension. It was made for a C-2/C-3, so some modification was required. Luckily, I had already built the adjustable front link pick-up points when I installed the C-4 suspension, and they turned out to be in the exact correct position. That will save a lot of work.

56 Corvette Decalink Install 1.jpg

56 Corvette Decalink install 2.jpg

56 Corvette Decalink install 3.jpg

56 Corvette Decalink install 5.jpg56 Corvette Decalink Install 1.jpg56 Corvette Decalink install 2.jpg56 Corvette Decalink install 3.jpg56 Corvette Decalink install 5.jpg

A couple more photos. The differential is a Detroit Speed Hammerhead with 3:73 gears. The last photo is the C-4 stuff I took out - 4:11 posi, Driveshaft Shop axles, Tom's Differential stub axles and bearings. I was afraid it was not going to be strong enough for the new motor, and I wanted to get the axle shafts out of the suspension business.

56 Corvette Decalink install 7.jpg

56 Corvette Decalink install 8.jpg

56 Corvette C-4 Rear Suspension Removed.jpg56 Corvette Decalink install 7.jpg56 Corvette Decalink install 8.jpg56 Corvette C-4 Rear Suspension Removed.jpg

Pappy -

Is that Detroit Hammerhead set up for the Porsche CV axle mounts? That will make it easier if so. But, you already know that. What uprights/bearings are you going to use?

After several years, Ive finally gotten my cut-down, cryo-treated, reassembled C5/6 CV axles in the garage.

It was a struggle, but spending 6 months a year away didn't lead to an effective timeline, or oversight.

Cheers - Jim

Pappy -

Is that Detroit Hammerhead set up for the Porsche CV axle mounts? That will make it easier if so. But, you already know that. What uprights/bearings are you going to use?

After several years, Ive finally gotten my cut-down, cryo-treated, reassembled C5/6 CV axles in the garage.

It was a struggle, but spending 6 months a year away didn't lead to an effective timeline, or oversight.

Cheers - Jim

Hey Jim,

Look at post 6 of this thread - there is a picture of the uprights and axles. The uprights are made by Detroit Speed using C7 bearings and the axles/CVs are their 1250 hp versions. Here is a photo of what the Decalink consists of - designed for the C-2/C-3. The Hammerhead is sold separately and is a pretty stout unit based on a Chevy 12-bolt.

Edit: I will check the bolt spacing on the stub axles - they are probably the same as the Porsche. Also, I believe DSE makes a conversion kit with stub axles set up for CVs and bigger side gears for increased spline axles that fit the C-3 differential.

Corvette DECALINK.jpgCorvette DECALINK.jpg

Last edited:
Nice.

But YEOW! Not Cheap - but looks real quality.
Strong, Quality, Cheap - pick 2.

I let my Giovanni go for 25 cents on that dollar! Oh well, She Who Must Be Obeyed got a win!

Cheers - Jim

A short update. The DSE Decalink (5-link plus axle shaft) rear suspension is almost complete - cross member modified and welded in and differential front mount and forward link mounts finished. I will have Mark Williams build new forward links out of 1.25/.095 wall chrome moly tubing for the proper length and better strength with bigger Aurora heims. The 345 tires on the Forgelines fit perfectly. Motor is finished - just waiting to get it on the dyno.

Pappy

56 Corvette DSE 9.jpg

56 Corvette DSE 12.jpg56 Corvette DSE 9.jpg56 Corvette DSE 12.jpg

Pappy -

Sweet! That meat is gonna' tear some pavement!
Very nice restart on this projo.
I hope I may be worthy to follow on mine.

Cheers & Happy New Year! Jim

Finally got the motor on the dyno. 852.71 peak HP @ 7100 rpm, 685 peak torque @ 5900 rpm. Should be enough. 515 CI BBC, short stroke (3.875"), big bore (4.6").

Pappy

Motor on dyno 3 (2).jpgMotor on dyno 3 (2).jpg