Plastic Fantastic 2

no pictures, but I got the frame on stands and cut the holders off then touched up the paint .... tomorrow start hanging parts

Looks really Nice! But I didn't see a paint can on the bench, and don't think you said what you used before on the truck(?). One part or 2?

Busy-bodies want to know. :rolleyes:

Cheers - Jim

Looks really Nice! But I didn't see a paint can on the bench, and don't think you said what you used before on the truck(?). One part or 2?

Busy-bodies want to know. :rolleyes:

Cheers - Jim

Yep, it's the stuff I pictured a few pages back - KBS coating. It's held up very well against salt and four wheeling on my FJ40. I like it better then powder coating because it can be touched up - or like this time, I still need to weld the cage to the frame; but to do that, I need to have the body attached to the frame - so I'll grind through the coating to weld then repaint the attachment point.

It's only 1 part if you don't need UV protection. That said, from a bare frame, you etch the steel, then spray on the KBS protectant coating. The next layer is either paint or black top... but since all of this is going to be inches off the ground - I'm not going to bother.

Hey - Thanks.

That sounds a lot like the POR-15 application process - but adds the etch. Same-same regarding a UV cover etc.

Thanks!

Cheers - Jim

it is, but I'm not a fan of POR15 - it's barely better then equipment paint

time to add parts
ynJheVYh.jpg
if you're ever replacing C5 or C6 upper control arms.... the long slot goes to the front
Kijs5Pah.jpg
qCotY1Mh.jpg
clean, even
pV79frfh.jpg
Q6ALU5xh.jpg
the center of gravity at that moment
YrhO5shh.jpg

missed squeezing through by one alternator width
9H7pA6dh.jpg

almost a complete frame - with not one bolt tightened (outside of the front cradle
IwVggrLh.jpg
idsLSW4h.jpg
JMb0IWSh.jpg
FuIHwjrh.jpg

time to start making this all permanent
gh7aqOBh.jpg
first is drill out the tabs for 1/2" bolts
1e2ls6vh.jpg

I still haven't come up with a solution I like for the lower mount - Sunday's plan is the spindles and those mounts....edited
5TUf7T2h.jpg

never had something shrink after painting, but this did....edited
9SAMehxh.jpg
basically had to cut this apart to get it to work....
GEK98BZh.jpg

if you look closely, you'll see the tank wasn't welded square.... thanks RCI.... it certainly wasn't damaged in shipping, but welded this way.edited Guess I need to call Summit.
HH47etoh.jpg

Yay Summit racing.They're replacing the tank and threw a FiTech EFI on the order too.... for a slight cost increase, of course.edited I've decided I want to drive this, so the Holley stuff goes back into 'future project' bay.edited That said, the fuel pump is going onto the FJ40 - it's carb pressures, but it's max pressure is 12 psi and I need 9-11 for the TBI.... and this has better volume...edited

trial fit
eJJqnvFh.jpg
and finally time to open the rubbers
vd3hQ8ch.jpg
and lower
oLTlSLuh.jpg

it's interesting to me that this car, if it was 1978 and newer, could be a 2+2 coupe....
7UWohmSh.jpg

sitting for now.editededited
0vx1WxTh.jpg

the point of this is to build the cage and the floor in the rear.edited ..... once that's done, pull it off, plumb the brakes and fuel system, then put it back on for real.... also need to build some inner fenders... fun fun
​​​​​​​

EFI upgrade
dLn50Hsh.jpg

and replacement tank.... it's squarer. I keep telling myself that it's $100 in material and $40 in fittings and parts.... these tanks are $200.... and their welds are better - why they haven't learned to clamp it in place first is a question for the ages.
q0n7SJ4h.jpg

and finally starting to learn on my new welder - aluminum learn
YrlX9LYh.jpg

not pretty to begin
fZiAfTCh.jpg

however, practice :)
xTAVLnWh.jpg

I need to add the material back that I machined off - thus the welding.... next up drill holes in my non-practice pieces, then make those permanent....edited
nAHupXsh.jpg

more parts arrived today
zTBVS5Vh.jpg

gkgAG0Dh.jpg
XaPCjHUh.jpg

when they said 7" they mean 7" .... thankfully it's just enough
​​​​​​​
the order of events - I work with the time available - I really need to spend some quality time with the welder and milling machine, but that wouldn't be tonight...

Okay, enough with Uber hookers.... onto more chipping away at this project
heh, I punned
SeJBmKFh.jpg

basically the tabs are in the way so I need to move them towards the centerline... yes, people do make stuff that put 13" rotors on these.... but where's the fun in that?edited
PTilpo4h.jpg
7d0wWtVh.jpg
A8KAVD6h.jpg

clamping is so much fun
L9S3bLbh.jpg

lest you think I gave up on eyeballing... no, I will not
zxkLyNPh.jpg

success.... bolt hoes in place and bolts go in.... which there was so question whether or not this would work since I learned today that my key for the chuck is not the key for the chuck that fits my mill
yr8tkdch.jpg
gXS494Hh.jpg

next step.edited I've taken a tremendous amount of metal off the back, so welding in new backing blocks is more then a good idea
0agl9xEh.jpg

​​​​​​​

first, make holes (aka void warranties)
2DMih8ch.jpg
XkdJZZJh.jpg
CaQxUZPh.jpg

weld a bit of aluminum
0rYssDnh.jpg
04ezPnHh.jpg
dang, the appearance I know what I'm doing....
JvwIYQhh.jpg

fit an Astro top
KYrGMWkh.jpg
4pWxYV0h.jpg
(I love these things)

I appreciate the kind words

Brakes
Today I received the bolts for the front calipers.... time to finish this up
6hcK8yzh.jpg
first a bunch of milling on what I welded yesterday
n4BzZBqh.jpg
I resisted the urge to sharpen the carbide (I should have but it worked)
sIPGMjth.jpg
then drilled the holes
bVDp3wRh.jpg

wow, it works, errr... well that's no surprise that it worked just like I planned
oPYJsuvh.jpg

Installed new upper ball joints
wfKiO2qh.jpg

for the life of me, I can't figure out why this is an issue now - but one bolt should be shorter to attach the hubs.... thankfully, Mr. Cutoff wheel came to the rescue
1RQkWJAh.jpg

and look, the rear
EX7OfDgh.jpg

and the front - to be honest, I don't know of a 14" rotor for this application (the C5 uses a 13")...edited
urt4Flvh.jpg

Getting close to final assembly
r8d4dfdh.jpg
and the rear
​​​​​​​tAlGmmQh.jpg

Your alum welder and mill drill paid off fast. Nice job.

...and the front - to be honest, I don't know of a 14" rotor for this application (the C5 uses a 13")...edited

Ahh Ha! Wondered why the mod to the uprights. Obviously matching the caliper to the disc - but didn't "get" why. Surprised that floating hats could be matched to a 14" disc. Add some extra complications ordering, etc.
Its's all a compromise isn't it?:D

Very nice work.

Cheers - Jim

master cylinder size.
Stock C3, no assist is 7/8"
Stock C3, with assist is 1 1/8"

2010 Camaro SS is 1 1/8 however it's a much shorter master cylinder.

Called Wilwood and they recommended 1 1/8 with the caveat that I need to measure the piston size to properly calculate the swept area.

I'm using the smallest of hydroboost (no power steering, yet) to aid in braking....