Plastic Fantastic 2

nice ....was the smoke the tires rubbing or the oil burning off?

i need to do that with my adult kids that looks like a blast

I can correct my earlier statement... brake fluid was the culprit (and it 'should' be sealed now)

Buy a Miata, put them in it, they'll never get back out. I love my Corvettes, but if I was only doing autocross.... Miata or even better, Honda2000 - but they're a lot more money to get into (2k v 10k in comparable condition).

i was thinking my C5 vert

how is the sending unit sealed on that gas tank? ( i think thats it , the small circular plate with small #32 hex screws towards front of tank?) that sure looks suspect to me

I think you're right.... now to figure out how to seal it. Wonder if my wife's mirrors are still available or if they're still lost from the last time I borrowed them....

In other news, I bought another carrier with 3.42 gears in it. Figure if it's not enough, I can get the 3.27 gear carrier built with whatever I figure is better (3.73 or whatever) - the other benefit is I can fun steeper gears for track days but more highway friendly for normal use.

and the well known benefit of having a backup diff in case one decides to put pretty sparkles on the pavement.

nice ....was the smoke the tires rubbing or the oil burning off?

i need to do that with my adult kids that looks like a blast

I can correct my earlier statement... brake fluid was the culprit (and it 'should' be sealed now)

Buy a Miata, put them in it, they'll never get back out. I love my Corvettes, but if I was only doing autocross.... Miata or even better, Honda2000 - but they're a lot more money to get into (2k v 10k in comparable condition).

i was thinking my C5 vert

even better. there was a FRC running the Ax - same group so never got to talk to him, but he was scooting around pretty good

https://imgur.com/TjDJre8

onward.... enjoy the view, they're going away
NRqLgrmh.jpg
new hotness
4Cz4zKyh.jpg
the problem is pretty simple, it doesn't align because the studs are a touch longer
yKh7ijnh.jpg
I also need to align a couple rockers....edited
f4SpdcEh.jpg
FnmsYNZh.jpg
now with adjusted guideplates and no girdle
​​​​​​​XLH2mAUh.jpg

Seriously, you have trolls b___hing about this car being driven in events? Maybe the only reason I could see is it is too nice.

Oh well, some people......

Seriously, you have trolls b___hing about this car being driven in events? Maybe the only reason I could see is it is too nice.

haters gotta hate, it's what they do. My dad told me when I was growing up that "no matter how beautiful the woman, there's someone out there that hates the very air she breaths."

I can't imagine not using it - but there's some that it's just not their deal. The others, well, they just gotta hate. Ah well, I'm glad I'm not them.

now with that said, this car is twisting the rules a bit - so I have to expect some complaints.... I'm just curious, though, if I'm going to see a bunch of cars with this rear suspension in 2022 and beyond... to me, that's the highest form of compliment (even though they'd die before admitting I had a good idea).

Last edited:
New (to me) differential on its way.... thought I had a deal with one wrecking yard... but they didn't respond so went with a less expensive option.... love

car-part.com

haters gotta hate, it's what they do. My dad told me when I was growing up that "no matter how beautiful the woman, there's someone out there that hates the very air she breaths."

I can't imagine not using it - but there's some that it's just not their deal. The others, well, they just gotta hate. Ah well, I'm glad I'm not them.

now with that said, this car is twisting the rules a bit - so I have to expect some complaints.... I'm just curious, though, if I'm going to see a bunch of cars with this rear suspension in 2022 and beyond... to me, that's the highest form of compliment (even though they'd die before admitting I had a good idea).

I know the feeling. I didn't twist the rule book - I just threw it out. Somebody on the CF once asked me if it was a kit car. When I said "no, it is a real '56", I never heard from them again. My brother got thrown out of the Jag club when he put C6 suspension and an LS in his 1950 XK 150. BTW, the Jag has a late Camaro differential mated to C6 control arms and spindles.

Parts starting to arrive.... sticking cable, fixed
Jj0YaJAh.jpg
ZSPQsJDh.jpg
Important console side covers - cause you gotta look good too.
2LJehIhh.jpg

rocker change is done...

and the list is actually longer because I'm going to get another set of valve covers bolt from the top - which is fantastic if the bolt doesn't punch holes in the tube... hopefully by Sunday night I'll have the majority of the list done.....edited

I know the feeling. I didn't twist the rule book - I just threw it out. Somebody on the CF once asked me if it was a kit car. When I said "no, it is a real '56", I never heard from them again. My brother got thrown out of the Jag club when he put C6 suspension and an LS in his 1950 XK 150. BTW, the Jag has a late Camaro differential mated to C6 control arms and spindles.

timing is a funny thing - while this may not be allowed in USCA, SCCA has a new class especially for it that started this year.

about the only thing I might do different if I built another would be use the C6 rear as well.... I didn't think there was enough room but there actually is - I heard someone had done it, but my tape measure said no.... having the extra footspace would be nice....

do you go through the candy in your easter basket as quickly as you go through parts?

you are a man on a mission!!!!!

do you go through the candy in your easter basket as quickly as you go through parts?

you are a man on a mission!!!!!

I don't suffer ADD, I enjoy every minute. My work around is I know I have a specific amount of time to get something done - so I work that amount of time then get distracted and get that done too...

clean
sPjitfX.jpg

and got the signals to work - bad LED flasher
​​​​​​​

back to fuel leak... I'm not sure it's the sender....
BXD24xTh.jpg
6ec5lK1h.jpg
the sender.... but the non-capped line is a vent that I didn't put a hose clamp on.... hmmm
yVnBWfyh.jpg
this one
7kmXf5vh.jpg
it's a pain to get it on there - but I think that will be my first attempt to fix this
Yl0qH24.jpg

then onto other stuff
bad rubbers
LxZMKIu.jpg
not bad, just too soft
TiedRBb.jpg
Jpc0rv1.jpg
nice, solid poly
zmoUPtg.jpg
I started here, then air hammered, then ended up using this for the second bushing...edited
Hdg2k1j.jpg
and clean
tffVXsh.jpg
thread lock stopped me.edited Need some to finish assembly... but close
​​​​​​​Sanlo9C.jpg

that unclamped hose does seem to be in the epicenter of the stain, what kind of pressure is in the tank? or is it just sloshing? and are you sure its venting?

it wasn't tight, but I think the problem is just the pressure from the weight of the fuel

hopefully this fixed it
​​​​​​​bdhuRRGh.jpg

In other news, the springs finally arrived but they sent the wrong ones.... smh.... and I found out that Speedway motors delivery guarantee is pretty much worthless...

and more knocked off the list..
the list
fyNf6gp.jpg

for those who forgot what the dash looked like removed...
7rnFrQ3.jpg
squeeky clutch ... hmmmm
I didn't think it was possible... but here's the problem... they put the bell arm in backwards.edited But I don't think it was the PO, or at least not his fault... it's made backwards
xzr9XfI.jpg
first clue was the zert fitting... it wasn't installed - it's usually on the top, but it wasn't..
lmG86Be.jpg
thing was, the ring that holds the cup (frame side) was machined into the wrong end. Add to that the hole for the zert was on the bottom.... turning it around solved all its issues.edited Now it can be lubed. I punted on the clip ring - I reduced weight.edited One clip ring
now the clutch works correctly, the difference is one arm is longer then the other - thus in the Corvette, where you don't have as much pedal travel as the truck, it won't work Worst, it sticks to the top of the hole in the firewall.
now it doesn't
In other news, and not on that list.. noise
and a way to test it
03jWyTv.jpg

105db at 50 feet and 50 mph.... it idles at 100 db..... hmmm

forgot to mention.editededited
Fixed the throttle and have dual springs.edited I've had terrible luck with Lokar and similar 'aftermarket' throttle cables - sometimes stock is the right answer... rarely, but sometimes
​​​​​​​cCk5jxnh.jpg

in good news, the other diff arrived.edited While more work, it should make me quite a bit faster
fJJa65gh.jpg
the hole gave me a discount, otherwise it's in better shape then the one I got from the people I bought the rest of the cradle from
kq3WdeNh.jpg
and for those curious... this differential - I'll probably regear it but if not, I may use it under the Sledanet
drain
wzC4nxhh.jpg
start removing bits...... I took this a lot further apart because I need to put the poly joints in the last two points
9ffvhgqh.jpg
igjnyU1h.jpg
old cover on new diff
uQ15jnSh.jpg
I actually have a cooled cover coming (dirt cheap, brand new) but it won't be here until Friday and I want to use this on Sunday so if I wait, I won't have time to reassemble in time
rC1OvjZh.jpg
picture to remember how the spacers go
KYrboCZh.jpg

and then.... hmm
wfRq1kTh.jpg

installing was a lot easier then taking the old one out
wlMn5sVh.jpg

and... there is conflicting information about whether or not to use friction modifier.edited GM says use it.edited Given the wear in the other with the little bit I've used it (and the noise) -edited I'd say GM was right - when I put this together Mobil 1 said it wasn't necessary.
​​​​​​​qWTovpmh.jpg

mobil makes good products, but superstitious behavior or not i like the idea of the GM additive. in one of my rear ends it had me put two in it.