Plastic Fantastic 2

trans oil leak.edited Yeah, I get it, I can always just add lube AND the level will never get to critical... but still.editededited
oQ3ZMzWh.jpg
driveshaft out
2vfxaEth.jpg
new seal kit
hpmzGtZh.jpg
trans out
OFR2mQkh.jpg
bright side is there is no oil on the inside of the bellhousing
JnPgOOkh.jpg
it might be that just the tail housing gasket was leaking, and yes, it's a lot more work to do it right
1KD9wMYh.jpg

so sue me.edited The other side of that story is the counter-shaft may be loosening in its bore.edited Now, I can 'just' replace the case.edited Let it go long enough and it'll destroy everything

If the case is bad, I'll probably replace it with a Super T-10 from Richmond gear. That said, I've been looking at Doug Nash 5 speed/sequential gearboxes as the future upgrade. I'd love something I can bangshift on the autocross course... that said, budget wise, I need this one to survive next year. I need wheels before I need another gear

what's fun with the Super t-10 is the roundy round guys continue to use these (and there are cast-off NASCAR ones as well) - so there are updates, better cases, better gears (and gear ratios).... all for, comparatively, not a lot of money

https://www.richmondgear.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/richmond/RG25.pdf

Last edited:
There may be a lot of the NASCAR A431 transmissions available after the season since they are going to a new sequential transmission next year.

There may be a lot of the NASCAR A431 transmissions available after the season since they are going to a new sequential transmission next year.

for those who wonder how I end up falling down the rabbit hole.... NASCAR A431 is now a new, and exciting way this has happened....

looking.....

and what a rabbit hole... it looks like it's a very attractive alternative at its price point. Much more research required, but thank you.... I'm also looking at either Jerico or Doug Nash as well. Jerico less so because they are noisy beasts.... but still...

Last edited:
the tl;dr is I think the mid-plate is cracked... but I'm going to run it
so
they say you should pull the main shaft out to pull the midplate....
no, you don't
NFftDRkh.jpg
VmeHcxKh.jpg
the came a gasket search.edited I'm not convinced the rebuilder made a mistake - granted, the gasket he used was leaking - but still, there's probably a crack here somewhere
bQ5iyAuh.jpg
QE2FWU0h.jpg
more gasket fun
uwKh2DNh.jpg
YekgFHXh.jpg
7hxhNCFh.jpg
somewhere on here
DbXlh6z.jpg
see the dirty blank spaces? those were both sealed and clean 300 miles ago
vb0Pl9Oh.jpg
then there was the moment Luigi was laying at my feet while I dropped a gasket sealant brush on him.... oops
g8fDRyvh.jpg
replaced the bushings while I was at it
cA6q4bAh.jpg
DkWZc7Dh.jpg
​​​​​​​o9xjcpNh.jpg
back in and leaking.... we won't talk about how it's sealed now
CumSBjUh.jpg
in other news, I can now use my laptop to program the Sniper
PiC9K0Q.jpg
ywPM2e9h.jpg
and in still other news
AwDm9p1h.jpg
tJeotHth.jpg

Thinking out loud.

I could replace the midplate, but if you look closely at the case, you'll see the counter-shaft bore is oblong - which means a new case too. Believe it or not, these are very popular and parts are available, new, for them... including upgrades.

I'm pretty sure my Right Stuff tempenant (or permanary?) fix will hold until winter but the writing is on the wall... so what to chose - so far these seem to be the choices.

1) Doug Nash 5 speed ($3600)
2) New Super t-10 with upgrades ($2500)
3) fix and pray ($1000)
4) TKX at $3500
5) T56 - $2500 (found one for that with all the upgrades)

1) - complaints about clunky and a pain when cold
2) - highest rating I've found is 325 ft lbs -though rumor is they can handle more....
3) cheapest - and it leaves me with a spare or sellable trans
4) they can't seem to come up with a price, but I think if I do this one, I'll spend the 'extra' and get the one rated to 900 ft. lbs (stock is 600)
5) requires replacement of my bellhousing so could be the most expensive (and could require hydraulic clutch change)..

AGE direct looks like $2240. That is a complete m22 with a super case.

I've had one close to 14 years. No issues.

M23 is their new design.

Hopefully their product is still good, but might want to check other forums.

so a bit about P2
Great Stuff has become my go-to stuff for sealing impossible leaks... it's at it again with my trans
o9xjcpNh.jpg
time to attach the console cover plate better
GSw5GITh.jpg
bracket built
HcZPsN2h.jpg
installed
OfU3KzBh.jpg

Paul's car is back on the road.... needs an alignment but a bit of muffling for the summer so he can enjoy it until it gets rotten weather.... and now it's safe to drive
the old wheels were held on with the wrong lug nuts so it destroyed all of them
but new wheels :)
pQrVINTh.jpg
need to do some altitude adjustment but they look really good
z9H3Cclh.jpg
Luigi felt his advice was necessary
​​​​​​​RLNeOblh.jpg

This had me scratching my head:
Great Stuff has become my go-to stuff for sealing impossible leaks... it's at it again with my trans

Thought that stuff is FOAM. Dropped into the chandelery to get some screws etc - there it was... Permatex Right Stuff.
Does it really go off in a minute? Would it be a suitable replacement for "blue" on the corners of my oil pan gasket on install?

If/When I get this boat sold (tomorrow?) full time on Elvira!

Cheers - Jim

This had me scratching my head:

Thought that stuff is FOAM. Dropped into the chandelery to get some screws etc - there it was... Permatex Right Stuff.
Does it really go off in a minute? Would it be a suitable replacement for "blue" on the corners of my oil pan gasket on install?

If/When I get this boat sold (tomorrow?) full time on Elvira!

Cheers - Jim

sorry, this stuff
https://www.permatex.com/products/g...nce-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-4/?locale=en_us

it doesn't shift well at all if the rods come off
JkxJooQh.jpg
the 2nd lever was backwards (offset out, not in)
GXEtC8hh.jpg

and this hints what's next...
EiF181Zh.jpg
I drove it today and had all sorts of trouble with the fender getting into the tire...since I'm playing with the springs, I'll pull them out and set the camber/castor for racing at ride height.... in other news, I may have new dual adjustable shocks coming...

​​​​​​​

centering device engaged
1PIXhLYh.jpg
you knew you saw it somewhere before.... works perfect
gdBEe1Eh.jpg
so it's set with a good baseline

Front -2 degrees, 1/16 toe in
rear -1.1 degrees 1/32 toe inedited
editedit's a good start point, still need to balance the car on scales, but that'll happen later
​​​​​​​