C3 Corvette wiring harness

Yep... thats the port I use for oil temp. If youre looking for an oil cooler sandwich plate, I have one off of my old motor.

I'm pretty much in the same mode as you, interior stripped, new wiring etc. I was putting the HVAC vacuum hoses in place and thought it would be a good idea to check the hoses and the actuators for leaks. I plumbed it all up and....there are so many leaks I decided to replace the whole deal. The lines and fittings look fine (its that hard plastic line).

Just saying, while your in there,

Thanks for the response Chris. I prefer the port VS the sandwich plate. I wanted to make sure I could do it... I had to order a few parts to get it all to hook up so I'm back at it again.

I ended up removing all the vaccuum lines and installed electric motors for the headlights. I plan on doing the same for the wiper door.

I read a thread about installing an HVAC C4 blower on a C3, so I will be rebuilding that section as well. I hope to replace the interior HVAC controls to a newer device not using so many vaccuum lines. This will be down the road if you happen to know anyone or a thread who has done this.

I am running the wires for my electric fans right now. Then the alternator and coil will be next.

My speedo is GPS but I have to get the Tachometer out to see how it will hook up. Just a little time consuming. Lol

I ended up removing all the vaccuum lines and installed electric motors for the headlights. I plan on doing the same for the wiper door.

I read a thread about installing an HVAC C4 blower on a C3, so I will be rebuilding that section as well. I hope to replace the interior HVAC controls to a newer device not using so many vaccuum lines. This will be down the road if you happen to know anyone or a thread who has done this.

I am running the wires for my electric fans right now. Then the alternator and coil will be next.

My speedo is GPS but I have to get the Tachometer out to see how it will hook up. Just a little time consuming. Lol

I know someone who replaced the vacuum actuators with early 2000's GM electric actuators. He used the controls from a Chevy truck. Three dials, fan speed, mode, and temperature. Maybe a trip to the junkyard would get you all the parts you need to do this?

I am interested in your radiator fans and alternator wiring. I'm looking at this right now also.

Your more than welcome to come by and look at it. I have it wired except the main hot wires to the battery. Thy're ran but I am buying a junction box to wire it up. Let me know and I'll text you my address..

Progress

I've been busy so I just got back to my wire harness installation. Hooked up the dimmer switch and headlight switch and I have to say, I believe this is the first time I seen her with her eyes open. I've been working on her for 10 years. Ha ha ha. I am so excited. I have most of the engine wiring completed but it won't crank. I think I read somewhere that the painless ignition switch will work with the wire set up. If not, I need to see why it's not getting power to the starter. Everything else is coming together nicely.

FB_IMG_1573600839349.jpg

Do you have a neutral safety or clutch switch installed? 69+ cars have an adjustment for the ignition switch, sometimes the rod doesn't push far enough in to hit the starter contact in the switch.

I have a safety switch but it's not hooked up yet. That could be the issue. I'm going to continue getting the rest of the wiring done so maybe it will work itself out. I think I was jumping the gun trying to test what I have done so far.

You probably know this already but I did some testing of the ignition switch to insure that the 96 column was the same. If you blow this image up you will see a terminal marked "S" (upper right hand corner) that is the starter solenoid wire.

45dcc47bdd2e7f.jpg

I cut off the 96 brackets and will have to temporarily attach the C3 brackets with u bolts because I don't know where it needs to be until i get the seat in. So it will be "fitted" to me. Then I will weld the brackets on.

Been busy with the wiring and troubleshooting the vacuum system. I think I just got that done today.

Question about headlight actuators conversion

My Ford probe actuators have 4 wires coming off them.

Yelo

Red

White - red stripe

Black

The wire harness I bought has a relay and is designed for this set up. See photo
Headlight harnessREV.jpg

Orange

Green

Red

I hook up the red from the harness to the white -red stripe on the motors and run them to a hot battery with a 20 amp fuse.

Black from motor to a good groundedited

Orange from the harness goes to the yeloeditedmotor wire which is probable a trigger wire.

Greeneditedfrom the harness goes to the solid red motor wire. Trigger again I think.

I turned on the lights and they popped up nice. They didn't go down when I turned them off. Any ideas? I am sure I have it close but maybe a wire needs switched.

I think those motors need a +12v trigger to go up and then a +12v trigger to go down. (ie: 87a and 87 on the relay)
Confirm that you have constant power to the red wire at the motor at all times

white and yellow are your trigger wires

Chris, it was the constant power that got me. I just temporary had it on the positive but it wasn't tight.

It's working now but now my turn signals stopped. Lol probably a ground. I will track it down this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

too cold

I couldn't stand the carosine heater fumes so I stopped on my wiring to install an 80k gas furnace. Everything is done except for the thermostat wires and testing the gas line. Hopefully its all good and I can start this heater up.

Does anyone have a Mr. Heater \ Big Maxx? If so how do you like it?

FB_IMG_1574004495972.jpg

Had some time to get to the vette today. Got the tailight section done.

Amost forgot, the neutral safety switch was the issue with no juice to the starter. Fix it so I am well on my way with getting the wiring done. I may start it up tomorrow and check the charging system to make sure it's working proper. I need to check my electric fans too.

thum_36245ea3a10ebdc99.jpgthum_36245ea3a12894d17.jpg]

Last edited: