T5- The Ultimate Performance Transmission

That thread title is a joke right? Where is the post that follows the title?

Richard

Sorry, I deleted it later...trying to keep it positive! I was just a little irritated at one of the "experts" on another forum, telling someone that a T5 was fine behind a big block because some other forum member had one...and that I am "uninformed" for saying it will break. IT HAS TO BE TRUE, I READ IT ON THE INTERNET! :banghead:

GM wouldn't put them behind a weak 350, so by all means lets put one behind a 454! Hope they have a broom and dustpan handy....

Eh, the only reason people were saying that a T5 would be fine behind a blown big block was because Norval Wilhelm actually did it, showed pictures and wrote an explanation.

Of course, if you drive like a maniac all the time then yes, it will break, but if you're nice to the T5 it can certainly live behind a high-output mill.
Which isn't to say that Norval WAS nice to his, but I'd venture to guess that he got lucky.

The only reason I'm doing a T5 swap is because I happen to have one lying around, and I'm not made of enough money to buy a Keisler or CC5S kit but still want an overdrive manual.

Eh, the only reason people were saying that a T5 would be fine behind a blown big block was because Norval Wilhelm actually did it, showed pictures and wrote an explanation.

Of course, if you drive like a maniac all the time then yes, it will break, but if you're nice to the T5 it can certainly live behind a high-output mill.
Which isn't to say that Norval WAS nice to his, but I'd venture to guess that he got lucky.

The only reason I'm doing a T5 swap is because I happen to have one lying around, and I'm not made of enough money to buy a Keisler or CC5S kit but still want an overdrive manual.

I'm not knocking a T5 swap in general, so don't get me wrong...and I can totally relate to using one for cost reasons. Its a good transmission for a moderately built small block engine, that is going to be driven normally (no power shifts, no slicks, no high RPM clutch dumps, etc). I made one live behind a Vortech blown 5.0 making over 500rwhp, but it was a light car, and it was on borrowed time. I had a TKO for it, ready to swap in, but the car was totalled before I could install it.

If your engine is still the same or similar to the one in your profile on CF, I doubt you'll have any problems. The guy with the 454...that is another story. T5s don't like a lot of torque. A T5 can be built to handle some pretty serious power, but it isn't cost effective. As I stated in that thread, the fact that someone with a blown big block has made one survive has to do with a) a complete lack of traction b) a clutch that isn't putting all the power to the transmission or c) its being babied...which defeats the purpose of a blown big block, IMHO. It may live in that application, for a while...but something is being compromised. He probably has a garage full of spares, or an "in" with a good rebuilder.

EDIT: Actually, from a post on Digital Corvette:
"I ran the Ford T5 for a year behind my blown bigblock and loved it. I went with the Tremec eventually just for a little stronger
transmission."

He probably got tired of worrying about it blowing up, or wanted to see what his blown big block was really capable of. Since he lives in Ontario, "a year" translates to just a few months of driving time. I stand by all my statments about T5s behind big blocks. If you eventually have to swap to a tremec, you're going to need another bellhousing, another clutch (for some of the stronger models, 26 spline rather than 10), a different shifter, and depending on what setup you orginally used, another slave cylinder (or at least another bracket to mount it). So instead of just upgrading a transmission, you have to change other stuff too. Not cost effective, I like doing things once.

Last edited:
:bomb:Hey, that's an insult man ........................ :devil::bounce:

Ok all personallity problems put aside, why not a T5 with a big block?
Is there that much difference between a T5 and what GM original 4 spds behind a BB as far as solidity?.
I'm not talking about 600lbs of torque but a moderately built big block.

I've read a lot of people who done that conversion and they like the overdrive but not too many people discouraging to do the conversion.

Consider the T5 behind a 500 ftlbs BBC as the FUSE for the driveline....

enough shock from clutch dumps at 3 grand UP, and no matter what, the fuse WILL blow.....

you get things rolling a bit, and the shock affect is lessened somewhat.....

maybe.....

just because you ride hell outta your household electric panel with a 100 amp main breaker, and you set at 90 amps all day long....don't mean it's not tired....

:flash::flash:

I sure understand that, but what's the difference between a stock GM 4 spd trans installed originaly in our Vettes and a T5?

I think the T5 is good for 330lbs of torque but not sure what an original M21 4 spd would take.

I don't know of anyone who would vote against the consensus that a Muncie is stronger than a T5, but I suggest you probably ought to have a talk with Paul at 5-speeds if you really want to get technical about how much power/torque a transmission will "take".

From what conversations we've had and other postings of his I've read on the forums, Paul seems as up on the subject as anyone you'll likely run across. FWIW he has a book due to be published by CarTech (SA) July 1 titled How to Build & Modify High-performance Transmissions. Judging from his sense of humor (what with Gear Rhonda) it ought to make for an entertaining and informative read, so I've already pre-ordered my copy.

(If your watching, does that plug qualify me for a discount on that Italian M22 Wide gearset I've been eying? :bounce:)

From what conversations we've had and other postings of his I've read on the forums, Paul seems as up on the subject as anyone you'll likely run across. FWIW he has a book due to be published by CarTech (SA) July 1 titled How to Build & Modify High-performance Transmissions. Judging from his sense of humor (what with Gear Rhonda) it ought to make for an entertaining and informative read, so I've already pre-ordered my copy.

(If your watching, does that plug qualify me for a discount on that Italian M22 Wide gearset I've been eying? :bounce:)

Me too. Been really thinking on the M22 wide ratio. Good price. :idea:

I think it is far to simple to think that the only thing that breaks a trans is the torque rating of the engine.
IMO serious shock loading of any trans, will break parts eventually.