C5/6/7 Bearing side loading

vette427sbc

I am trying to move on with my C7 rear bearing conversion and was curious what you guys thought about loading the inner race as it is a suspension member? (still using half shaft as an upper link) Ridetech is doing it on their track1 kits, but every other application where this bearing is being used, the axle is not a suspension member.

https://www.ridetech.com/products/t...em-with-c7-hubs-for-1968-1979-c2-c3-corvette/

I'm not familiar with the C7 bearings. Are they tapered roller bearings? Haven't thought about this but thrust loads shouldn't be too high.

Looks like they've done a lot of thinking and effort in the entire structure. Any idea if they also did some bearing analysis? Might be worth a quick email/phone call.

Looks like a good approach, if you followed it and added the upper pieces (as I did in "Jim's Giovanni") You'd guarantee the only loads the bearings would see would be from the tire/wheel. Else, it looks like a complete update of a C3 trailing arm setup- so only has those similar loads/challenges.

Note - I am encouraged (very?) that VanSteel has adopted the 6 link approach - and have it available for under $1500! That and some mod work on the stock TAs to get the C7 bearing in -- all you'd need are the end yokes for the axles - or replace the inners and go with C7 CVs mated to the Diff. There are some complications - but easy enough.

Keep us posted - looks cool.

Cheers - Jim

I'm not familiar with the C7 bearings. Are they tapered roller bearings? Haven't thought about this but thrust loads shouldn't be too high.

I dont know for sure either, they are supposed to be similar if not the same as the C6ZR1 bearing (without the integral ABS sensor) I believe they are a tapered roller bearing

Looks like they've done a lot of thinking and effort in the entire structure. Any idea if they also did some bearing analysis? Might be worth a quick email/phone call.

Looks like a good approach, if you followed it and added the upper pieces (as I did in "Jim's Giovanni") You'd guarantee the only loads the bearings would see would be from the tire/wheel. Else, it looks like a complete update of a C3 trailing arm setup- so only has those similar loads/challenges.

Note - I am encouraged (very?) that VanSteel has adopted the 6 link approach - and have it available for under $1500! That and some mod work on the stock TAs to get the C7 bearing in -- all you'd need are the end yokes for the axles - or replace the inners and go with C7 CVs mated to the Diff. There are some complications - but easy enough.

Keep us posted - looks cool.

Cheers - Jim

The ridetech arms do look like nicely made pieces, I asked if they would sell me just the stub axle, they said no, and I asked Strange Engineering (they make them for Ridetech) and they also said no.
So I have ordered a pair of SKF C7 rear hubs, Dutchman Axles 33 spline C7 to 934 CV flange and a Spicer 1350 u-joint flange. The plan is to have the CV flanges EDM drilled for the 1350 flange, and then down the road if I want to convert to CV's Ill have the outer flange already setup. Ill have to come up with a way to add an upper link to my C4 knuckle though...

Hubs arrived today... the flange is one piece all the way to the inside where the stub axle would seat. I dont think the thrust load should be an issue. These things are beefy... now to machine them for some 5/8 speed studs :D

6155e87693a85e38.jpg

Ain't Hot-Roddin' FUN!?!?!?;)

It checks off all the right boxes... fun, addictive, and sometimes illegal! :devil: