Rear spoilers

SuperBuickGuy

Has anyone done the research regarding effective rear spoilers for C3s? My working hypothesis is the spoiler would have to be above the roofline to truly be effective (don't care about whether or not it's a ricer look, but it must function)

While the gas tank is out, I want to brace the deck for a spoiler.... thus the timing of the question

SO I WAS TOLD, the only truly effective spoiler of any generation was the early 70's Super Bird......and that wing was really tied hard to the car, not some POS tack on crap.....

other than that, I dunno....

:toothbrush:

simply function? yes, ricer style high mount would probably be best but you'll have to eliminate the huge parachute under the car to really gain some downforce at speed..... not trying to sound like a "know it all" but there's not much downforce on the front either so you'll need to balance front/rear .... just adding a huge functional spoiler on the rear might increase lift at speed and make things a lot worse ...

You mean I should drop the tank down to approximately level with the bumper? what an excellent idea! I should get on doing that :thankyou:

Drop the tank lowers CG too. :D
Build a diffuser with a max of 15-20 degrees up from reference (horizontal). A couple of strakes to add a bit of strength to the piece. Then maybe open the rear "bumper." These ought to big improvement to the "parachute." That's what I'm planning/hoping anyway.

Cheers - Jim
BTW that side view with your tank in trial fit (other thread) - looks like it is a great start on your diffuser!

Last edited:
Drop the tank lowers CG too. :D
Build a diffuser with a max of 15-20 degrees up from reference (horizontal). A couple of strakes to add a bit of strength to the piece. Then maybe open the rear "bumper." These ought to big improvement to the "parachute." That's what I'm planning/hoping anyway.

Cheers - Jim
BTW that side view with your tank in trial fit (other thread) - looks like it is a great start on your diffuser!

I'm hoping to sneak out to get aluminum today.

PC Aero Package

I remember a while back someone posted some wind tunnel testing results.
As I recall only the 78 PC spoilers made a positive downforce, 15% less cda
I keep thinking that a big cowcatcher "Or splitter" on the front,
and something similar sticking up/out in the back will work. ;)

I would like to at least double the PC rear spoiler and ad lay it back a little and see what that does.
There was someone working on this a while back, nothing recient.

R

I carry no spare tire, and so am kind of curious as to how much MPG I could pick up for drilling those holes in the rear deck, just below the 'spoiler' like some early shark racers did......would it make any significant difference below say 80 mph???

what IS that loading on that parachute effect???

:idea:

I read years ago that the Superbird spoiler was not for aero but to draw the eye away from the rear deck spoiler they'd crafted in. From the looks of the high spoiler I tend to believe the story...:1st:

There is a guy in Europe with C6R style wing and splitter on a c3. Looks good in my opinion.

I like his effort, but it is not for the faint of heart.

bigwing1.jpg

bigwing2.jpg

bigwing3.jpg

bigwing4.jpg

bigwing5.jpg

Haven't seen new photos of this car for probably 5 years.

that is interesting.... I've heard the convertibles with a hardtop are more aerodynamic.... they sure are popular in the race crowds

I also really like his splitter.

that is interesting.... I've heard the convertibles with a hardtop are more aerodynamic.... they sure are popular in the race crowds

I also really like his splitter.

Two other good sources for c3 aero are Greenwood's website and the book Corvette Racing Legends.

Greenwoods site has lots of photos. Corvette Racing Legends is mostly C3's.

Greenwood ran a real unique spoiler on some of his widebodies. Think of a 80 style rear spoiler with the center cut out and a variable angle wing installed.

If I get my car upgraded with the 12 bolt, heads, and cam, I may consider a splitter and big wing. But, it probably won't be too refined.

Has anyone done the research regarding effective rear spoilers for C3s? My working hypothesis is the spoiler would have to be above the roofline to truly be effective (don't care about whether or not it's a ricer look, but it must function)

While the gas tank is out, I want to brace the deck for a spoiler.... thus the timing of the question

I suspect you would like this too?

22850080001_large.jpg

Just don't forget the coffee can exhaust tip and neon lighted undercarriage. You wanna have the COMPLETE look when you do this. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by rtj

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x533 and has a filesize of 122KB.

It's somewhere in Japan doing drift movies.

Thanks Dep. Do you have a car yet?

Originally Posted by rtj

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x533 and has a filesize of 122KB.

It's somewhere in Japan doing drift movies.

Thanks Dep. Do you have a car yet?

Clcik on my public profile. What I have looks 10 times better than these flying wings.

You mean I should drop the tank down to approximately level with the bumper? what an excellent idea! I should get on doing that :thankyou:

I know you were talking about lowering the tank in another thread. That's a step in the right direction but it won't solve the parachute issue, there's a lot of open area that air can get into, this might be one reason the rear bumper is attached with so many bolts LOL
Once you lowered the tank maybe add fiberglass or aluminum plates to block air ??