LS Swap in 78 Vette

RED interior limits your paint colors, black/white/gray....takes your pick....

anything else except maybe RED would be :(

Dark blue is perfectly fine with red interior :D

Just like my '79.... A Superman "S" on the hood would complete the 'look' .....

:devil::crutches::chinese:

OH, just like the kids next door/across the street, with a old Datsun V6 POS, and gray paint, with blue hub caps and various accents.....

OR my wife's SIL, with a black S10 and purple accents and skulls, from some video game BS, and he at age ~35 has the balls to drive that crap.....

SIL is a hard worker, BUT, that bullshit is just krazy.....

:tth::flash:

How did we get from exterior/interior color combos to your neighbor's kid's Datsun with blue hubcaps ?????

Red interior goes with a lot of exterior colors, it's just that if you have such a "loud" combo the car better have the balls to pull it off..... That Datsun probably does not...... Lol

How did we get from exterior/interior color combos to your neighbor's kid's Datsun with blue hubcaps ?????

are you really asking how Gene's brain synapses work?

I think I know the answer but I ask anyways...... Lol

Well, you all talking of color combos on cars, and I just have to laugh when thinking of that totally hideous skank car those kids drive, complete with no muffler, does have the cat on it though....

:crutches:

Next phase of project Paint

Getting vette ready for painting. Most of parts removed. Doors and emblems removed, Front and rear bumpers had to be removed using sawzall but got them off. Going to replace bumper covers with Tru Flex.
Front drivers fender had some previous damage that will need repaired. Body looks good. Deciding on best method to strip. Tried razor blades and paint is stuck pretty good. Won't budge without using a heat gun. Corvette78rearbumpercoverremoved_zps84a50f06.jpg
Corvette78Driverssidefrontfender_zpsea54cf68.jpg

Got the front clip stripped off. What a pain. Tried to soda blast with a unit from Eastwood. Wouldn't touch the paint. Tried razor blade with heat gun to many gouges. Next went with Kleen Strip aircraft stripper for fiberglass. Works pretty good. Have 2 days in the front clip. CorvetteFrontClipstripped_zpscddfff4b.jpg

Removing headlights or not?

Got most of the headlights stripped but wondering how hard is it to remove them for painting? Any tips?

Fender patch making project.

Got the front fender patched with resin and fiberglass mat. Really solid now and still sanding to shape. Also need to grind out the bonding seams and refill. Going to start fitting the front and rear bumper covers this week. CorvettePaintDriversSidePatch2_zps3a819bc1.jpg

Last edited:
Tru Flex not close to fitting.

Going to bite it and move on. Ordered fiberglass front and rear covers earlier this week. Hopefully will get a better fit than the tru flex. Ordered direct from ACI.

Some progress

It was really cold last week so not much progress. Got the body warmed up one evening and applied a coat of everglass to the bond lines and the fender area that needed patched up.
Got the motors and brackets installed for the electric head lights.
Fiberglass front and rear bumper covers arrived on Friday so will start to fit them the first of the week.
CorvetteFrontFenderbodylinepatch_zpseb2c684d.jpg

Exhaust Drone Ideas

Making progress on body. Have both fiberglass bumpers bonded and smoothed out. All lines are smooth and filled.

Will post a few more pictures after a visit to the body shop this week. Here is the a few before. Both bumper covers are bonded and filled.CorvetteFiberglassRearDriversSide4_zps7e88aa5a-1.jpg
CorvetteFiberglassFrontBumperBonded4_zps9c974ffe.jpg
CorvetteonTrailerleavingforpaint_zps4b577ef4.jpg

Painting update

Body has had the poly filler on for a couple of weeks. Has been guide coated and blocked. Should be in primer and paint in the next week or so. New 18" wheels and tires ordered. Corvette1978PassengerRearSideinPoly_zps4aec251b.jpg

Never thought this week would get here. My 78 resto Vette is almost done. Mounting the hood,emblems and wheels in tires are all I have left.
Will post some final pics this week after tires are mounted.

Finally

Here is the final product. Been a long and expensive couple of years but project is coming to a close. I need to add cruise control and hydro boost brakes but that's a winter project. 18" Boss 338 9.5" on rear and 8" on front Paint is Tungsten Gray Metallic.eTungstenGrayMetallicBoss338driverrear_zps2893c374.jpg
enGrayMetallicBoss338PassengerFrontQtr_zpsddf81cb4.jpg
photo6_zpsd26d873a.jpg