2500 rpm vibrations on shifter.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
seemed to be related to exhaust system, had it solid welded, seemed to improve and the pipe rattle did no away.....thought it was FIXED.....RONG!!!

for some reason at about ~2400 rpm or so, the vibrations on the shifter just drive me crazy, actually making noise.....I can shift gears, automatic, and it's more or less ok, but of course in a residential burb, I can't hit 80 like on the freeway.....but last time on the freeway cruising at 2400 rpm, the thing was vibration free.....

seems to be vaguely related to load on the drivetrain....MORE LOAD the silly thing shuts up...LESS load, it vibrates like a sex toy.....

anyone????:hissyfit::hissyfit::banghead::ill:

Well guess what.....it's related to the A/C comp running.....go figger...

it's an '88-91 serp drive setup off a vette so with the top up, I note the vibration, with the a/c running....

turn off the compressor, and no vibration....WTF???

anyone any clue where to look?? I seem to remember a brace going from an exhaust bolt/stud to the upper rear of the compressor, I have not had one for years now....tried snugging up some of the bolts and am afraid that maybe one of them into the aluminum head is stripped....so to know if I helicoil the thing, it won't go into any passages....

or maybe just to figger out where/how that brace goes?? or if there ever WAS one on a '88-91.....

I have a manual to my '87 vette from 20 years ago....but that had an R4 on it.....

:gurney: