new to vettemod, old to vettes

jim lockwood

Hello All,

I am Jim Lockwood and I've joined the forum today at the suggestion of "redvetracr" and "the old one", good friends of mine from Corvette Forum.

I've had Corvettes of one kind or another since 1969, starting with a POS '59 for which I paid $400 (for this Vette, I may have over paid).

I am obsessively interested in the 1963 Grand Sports (and have vintage raced a replica of one since 2001) and in Rochester fuel injection. I can (and will, if you let me) discuss the finer points of either one until long after your eyes glaze over and you start looking at your watch.

I'm glad to be here but initially I expect to just sit back and mostly lurk while I get the "feel" of this forum. I hope to get to know many of you as time goes on.

Jim, the :noob:

Welcome to the motley crew of the Flying Dutchmen....

old Rochester injection eh?? about '66-67 or so I knew a fellow with about 6 or more of them in his folks basement...off various vettes....

shortly later the 'friendship' was dumped, as he went on a crime spree,

and is listed as a mass murderer....serious....

but man, that guy could drive a old vette 4 speed, sloppy shifter an all....:hissyfit::hissyfit::crylol:

ever since then, anytime I see or hear of those olde tyme Rochester FI units....I think of him and all the weird shit....

:shocking:

I too am new to Vettemod, and was refered here, via Jim.... I have had a Vette since 1970, when I purchased a '62 Vette 340HP and drove the snot out of it, then moved along to other Vettes and I thought I ended with a beautiful '67 Roadster (Blue on Blue). but then, the Dream of my life came along... a 1955 Vette, a total bucket piece with mice jumping ship as I trailered it home. Everyone thought I was nuts (and maybe I still am). It took 7 years to completely finish it to a Pristine Red with Tan interior. I only Showed the '55, and then 20 years later someone from Quebec offered to buy it, and it was gone...Well I was still building by '64 Grand Sport Roadster, so I still had a Vette. The GS was finished last year and I enjoy DRIVING this one every chance I get. Last week I visited the Simeone Museum in Phillie to see the GRAND SPORT #002...What a machine, and, I got to SIT in it...No Keys !!
Looking forward to some interesting Threads with some ol' aquaintances..... Sam

I too am new to Vettemod, and was refered here, via Jim.... I have had a Vette since 1970, when I purchased a '62 Vette 340HP and drove the snot out of it, then moved along to other Vettes and I thought I ended with a beautiful '67 Roadster (Blue on Blue). but then, the Dream of my life came along... a 1955 Vette, a total bucket piece with mice jumping ship as I trailered it home. Everyone thought I was nuts (and maybe I still am). It took 7 years to completely finish it to a Pristine Red with Tan interior. I only Showed the '55, and then 20 years later someone from Quebec offered to buy it, and it was gone...Well I was still building by '64 Grand Sport Roadster, so I still had a Vette. The GS was finished last year and I enjoy DRIVING this one every chance I get. Last week I visited the Simeone Museum in Phillie to see the GRAND SPORT #002...What a machine, and, I got to SIT in it...No Keys !!

Welcome to the motley crew of the Flying Dutchmen....

:D ahhh...the key to FREEDOM!!! just a click away.....

:wink:

Welcome to VetteMOD too!

Danny

Welcome to VetteMod Jim Lockwood and Sambo GS :hi:

Last edited:
Stop posting that, saliva is ruining my keyboard!!!

Here, this will help:

weber-engine.jpg

:D

Jim, the noob

That intake, is it a GM? The runner pairs are divided in the center right? With a pedestal for the bell crank (throttle) ??
Are those 52mm webers or bigger?

I have this one, it's a GM prototype I think, apparently an F5000 piece but it looks like yours apart from the center but I can't see it accurately in your pic.
I have seen these without throttle blades, mine is the only one I've ever seen with them. The injector bosses were welded on. I've seen others w/ mech FI bosses I don't know what goes in mine. They are kind of funky w/ idle air passages or fuel feeds and a weird o ring taper seat. Possibly side feeder injectors.

248e4eadd97f99.jpg

248e4eae0057db.jpg

248e4eae111b49.jpg

248e4eae2cb473.jpg

That intake, is it a GM? The runner pairs are divided in the center right? With a pedestal for the bell crank (throttle) ??

The manifold in my picture is an old Moon manifold (with "Moon" artfully removed). The linkage is my own design and it almost completely resolves a pesky problem of the loss of carburetor synchronization between left bank and right bank at part throttle.
Are those 52mm webers or bigger?

Sadly, no. Those are weenie 45mm DCOEs and they get breathless with that engine above 5500 RPM. I've got some 50mm DCO1 carbs that I intend to put on the next engine.

I have this one, it's a GM prototype I think, apparently an F5000 piece but it looks like yours apart from the center but I can't see it accurately in your pic.
I have seen these without throttle blades, mine is the only one I've ever seen with them. The injector bosses were welded on. I've seen others w/ mech FI bosses I don't know what goes in mine. They are kind of funky w/ idle air passages or fuel feeds and a weird o ring taper seat. Possibly side feeder injectors.

Your manifold is, indeed, a F5000 piece, but it's not from GM, despite the GM-ish part number cast into the rear of the manifold.

It was made by a southern Californian named L. Briar McKay in the mid to possibly late '60s (whenever F5000 was popular) and was originally designed to mount a quartet of the sewer-pipe sized 58mm DCO3 (and or DCO4) Webers. Many, but not all, of these manifolds have the initials "LBM" cast into the area near the casting number.

I have a manifold like yours, but mine has not been modified with throttle blades and ports for injector nozzles. It retains the ability to attach Webers. To identify what I had, I showed it to a fellow who used to work for Traco back in the '60s. He immediately recognized it, gave me the information I wrote above, and told me that, at any given time, there would have been around 30 engines in the Traco shop with just such a manifold installed.

Independent of my Traco contact, I contacted an engineer at GM who has access to part number records and asked him to investigate the casting number on the manifold. He told me that number was never used to reference an intake manifold. And he reminded me that if it were a GM prototype, the format of the number would have been the familiar "0-xxxxxx" style.

My manifold is made of magnesium; you can lift it with your little finger. Yours appears to be aluminum. Is it, or are my eyes deceiving me?

Jim

Last edited: