th400 help

brngrhd

need a little help this is my first th400 and the convertoer does not fit in the pump.... does someone have a th400 converter sitting around that they can measure the hub that goes into the front pump.... that way i know if it is the converter of the pump busching. thanks

I believe the following is true.

All th350, th400 transmissions from 1965-1991 use the same size torque converter. Stalls may vary as will lock up and non lockup type of converters. But they are all the same size.

So just head over to your local Race Shop and they should have at least 1 or 2 aftermarket converters sitting there. Usually for th350s.
Grab a measurement off of one of them. Easiest thing I can think of.

Sorry I cant be more help.

By "does not fit" do you mean the diameter is incorrect or the pump does not slide deep enough into the pump? You need to rotate the pump several turns while pushing in to get it to drop into the pump fully. I think it will drop twice.

It does drop in twice- first the lugs on the pump and then the stator gets aligned with the input shaft (maybe the other way around? bad memory) anyway- if the inner (drive) gear in the pump is in backwards the convertor won't go in all the way. The lugs in that gear need to be offset to the rear of the trans, and the dot or diamond mark on the driven gear needs to be up so you can see it when you assemble the pump..