Another engine ouch

I guess because of the rarity of it he wants the big $$$. But the demand for it has to be minimal. I had to look twice to make sure this wasn't a repo. It's not. Just a cleaned up one. You have to REALLY be sold on the spread bore carb to pay that kind of money for it. So far no offers and it's still for sale. Wonder if he'll knock down the asking price?

Last edited:
Dep, Like I have commented in the past, I feel demand is going down for most all of these vette and muscle car parts these days, because of the economy, and age of the guy like us that want perfect resto's as we either have one or two dozen of them already, or not interested, and the museums are full, there comes a point, I feel, where the hotrodders take over, and the cars of interest are modified, and when it comes to engines....well, first up is fuel management, especially what with gas hitting 5 bux/gallon....

:crutches::flash:

I dunno Gene. I don't think I buy that theory. While the auctions may be getting less for their cars, parts on E-Bay are going UP, not down. And scarce/high demand parts are WAY up there. Check out the tripower manifolds on E-Bay for Vettes. The repos are selling for as much or more than the originals. It's still supply and demand. BTW...I NEVER wanted a "perfect resto" or any other kind of resto. That ain't my thing. I hacked the crap out of my car to make it go fast...not look pretty. ;)

I guess because of the rarity of it he wants the big $$$. But the demand for it has to be minimal. I had to look twice to make sure this wasn't a repo. It's not. Just a cleaned up one. You have to REALLY be sold on the spread bore carb to pay that kind of money for it. So far no offers and it's still for sale. Wonder if he'll knock down the asking price?

Well, I guess we took this thread way off topic! Sorry Dave!

The thread bore carb works just fine on my stock ls5 manifold. I have been looking for a better flowing and lighter one....I wouldn't mind trying the l36....but not for my left nut!

There are 2 other ones that are in used condition and need some work...but even those 2 are 325 and 500 bucks...not worth it for an experiment.

I could go with a speed demon or square bore carb if I could find a lowrise aluminum manifold that fits under the hood and is oval port.

I am pushing 490hp and 534 torque on this build with the stock cast iron manifold and stock exhaust manifolds.(maybe 390hp at the wheels?) I plan on headers and may just do those for now and keep hunting for a manifold.

Once again....sorry Dave:drink:

The thread bore carb works just fine on my stock ls5 manifold. I have been looking for a better flowing and lighter one....I wouldn't mind trying the l36....but not for my left nut!

There are 2 other ones that are in used condition and need some work...but even those 2 are 325 and 500 bucks...not worth it for an experiment.

I could go with a speed demon or square bore carb if I could find a lowrise aluminum manifold that fits under the hood and is oval port.

I am pushing 490hp and 534 torque on this build with the stock cast iron manifold and stock exhaust manifolds.(maybe 390hp at the wheels?) I plan on headers and may just do those for now and keep hunting for a manifold.

Well he DID get his problem fixed ;)

WOW...390HP with stock manifolds is pretty dang good. :amazed:

Well he DID get his problem fixed ;)

WOW...390HP with stock manifolds is pretty dang good. :amazed:

They are the limiting factors...nothing inside the engine is stock............and with a qjet...but we can argue that choice in another thread;)

I dunno Gene. I don't think I buy that theory. While the auctions may be getting less for their cars, parts on E-Bay are going UP, not down. And scarce/high demand parts are WAY up there. Check out the tripower manifolds on E-Bay for Vettes. The repos are selling for as much or more than the originals. It's still supply and demand. BTW...I NEVER wanted a "perfect resto" or any other kind of resto. That ain't my thing. I hacked the crap out of my car to make it go fast...not look pretty. ;)

I had to settle for half-fast, such is life....

:quote:;)

Got the engine running and can't find any problems so I just run it.

BTW...that aluminum spreadbore manifold on E-Bay sold for $750 plus $50 shipping. Yikes!!! :bonkers: